Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2008, 01:54 PM   #1
Kandharry
Established Member

M.O.C. #8304
Tinting dual pane windows

We've got an '09 2955 with the dual pane window option.
They work pretty good for sound and insulation but after a recent trip thru Texas and New Mexico in June we realized that the dual pane windows are not tinted by the manufacturer.
Does anyone out there have experience with, or knowledge of, getting the interior face of the dual panes tinted?
Not in between the plates of glass but on the rigs interior surface.

Kandharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:02 PM   #2
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
We also have dual pane, went to a professional tinting company and they have a tint for a dual pane, a mirrow tint but it HAS to go on the outside. Any inside tint causes heat build up between the panes and will cause the glass to shatter or blow out. Checked with a couple of glass companies who verified this, so we went to window awnings and put blackout shades inside.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:02 PM   #3
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Can't help you with the tinting process, but a friend bought the stick on film for his windows and it is amazing how much it blocks out the sun. He cut a pattern for the windows and then laid it on the film and cut it out. It does take two people on the larger windows to keep the film straight. We live in Texas, so we know about the sun problem. We had to add the second AC to our 3400 to keep it cool.

The film is removable so you don't have to keep it on pemanently.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:28 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Sue and I applied ting covering to ours, they do sell a type that is fine for the Dual Pane double insulated windows, go to Lowe's, It is applied on the inside, worked well for us for a year. Here in K.C. Mo., and this last 6 month's (in Texas)
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:35 AM   #5
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Ozz, we looled at the tint at Lowe's for dual pane, it said apply outside on the stuff we found. The static cling we found(colleen post) said in big letters not for dual pane. If you use it and it works great, I just didn't want to take a chance against expert advice. Do what you want.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:25 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Jim, I understand, I hate to go against what experts say. Sometimes experts have their own agenda, sometimes not. But I did research it pretty good, they have many different types, I found one that is good for our Monte windows, and used it.
Here is the link: http://tiny.cc/Film233
Old 08-11-2008, 09:40 AM   #7
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Ozz, read the specs and it does indeed look like it's approved for dual pane inside, thanks. Where did you find this stuff? It wasn't at the lowes and home depot we looked at. I did notice that their static cling was only for outside use, which is what I found. It appears that the inside use was in mirrow finish only, which is fine. It has to be cheaper that the awnings we are pricing.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:18 PM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Jim, we found it at our local store, you know, I imagine different areas of this big country of ours, has vastly different products they offer.
I remember at Lake Havasu the new Lowe's store was really different from ours here at home.
I am keeping my fingers crossed that our windows stay secure. We really did notice the difference in inside temperature in the afternoon with Mr. Sun shining on them.
Harry, I would try it, as we have been very happy.
Ozz
Old 08-12-2008, 06:46 AM   #9
Kandharry
Established Member

M.O.C. #8304
Ozz:
Thanks for the info. I've seen Gila film at Home Depot too.
I'll check it out.
Harry
Kandharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:28 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Harry,
Here is a slide show with my better half doing all the work....
(I took pictures and weakly asked if I could help..., and drank a beer.)
Jim, I will have to ask Sue about the screen removal, I think I was AWOL on that deal..
http://tiny.cc/WFilm