Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2007, 03:37 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Wind and water

The early morning beach activities are so interesting, yes there are the early risers, searching for interesting shells, even finding some type of Sea Bean
coming from a distant jungle tree in a rain forest.
*“Always, then, in this flotsam and jetsam of the tide lines, we are reminded that a strange and different world lies offshore.”
But more interesting for me is the wildlife. The small sandpipers scurrying out into the surf, just behind a retreating wave. As quick as they are, the little burrowing crabs have little chance of escaping.
At this early hour, the Sea Gulls are working, flying low to scoop up a morsel, seldom fighting with the others in the flock.
When full and content, they all group on the wet sand, beaks into the wind. You can always tell at a glance which way the wind is blowing, by observing them at rest.
The Pelicans take up their fishing station a little further out in the sea, sometimes flying so low their wing tips brush the water, when they are higher, and they spot breakfast, they fold their wings and plunge into the ocean for their catch.
Later in the day, the beach umbrellas and large towels arrive, the Sea Gulls will fly low over you to see if you will feed them, they are smart, and pretty well know if you will or not. When fed by one of us humans, they fight each other, going for the scrap of bread, ignoring the seafood they should be eating. It is fun to feed them, especially when windy, they just hover above you, you can actually touch them, although I would not recommend it, as a fingertip looks a little like food to them at fast glance.
The warm water and wind bring the wind surfers from far, with their brightly colored sails, they have a community, with many vans full of boards and sails. I would like to try it, but would probably break a hip….
I took a few pictures at our nearby small marina, the pilot boat that guides the big ocean going ships up the channel to Brownsville is berthed here. Customs, Border Control, and Homeland Security are also here. I noticed a large yacht with the name ‘All in’, don’t know if it was named after a poker playing lifestyle, or referring to his debt on the boat.
Here is the slide show:
* From The Edge of the Sea by Rachel Carlson

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:33 AM   #2
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Watch out that those "hovering" seagulls don't airmail you a present!
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:46 AM   #3
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Great pictures. Thanks for sharing!
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:47 AM   #4
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Nice pics, Ozz.

Thanks.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:28 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I grew up in Freeport, Texas, 4 miles from the beach. Spent lots of time there. Your pictures stir many fond memories. Glad you are enjoying it all.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:28 PM   #6
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Ozz,

Perhaps you should consider a change in professions. Your writing is very good. It has a marvelous lyrical quality. I can see the sign now HVAC & Lyricist. I venture to say it would be the only such sign in the world. We only get to South Padre about once a winter but I am going to try to make your acquaintance this year.

Take care and be well--and keep writing
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:50 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thank you David, human nature can be multi-faceted, indeed. I look forward to meeting you.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:23 AM   #8
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
Thanks for the updates and pictures.
Here in VA the tree colors seem to be much brighter and prettier then I have seen for some time. Interesting seeing the colors when we go west a few miles then in a few days we have the colors here.
Life is great.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 02:43 AM   #9
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Thanks Ozz for the look out your back window.

Signed Stuck in Illinois
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:22 AM   #10
MelsJoy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7085
Ozz, thanks for the pics. They are beutiful! It looks to be very peaceful on the shoreline. Makes me envious.
MelsJoy is offline   Reply With Quote