Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2007, 01:05 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Life is good on the Island

I got up at 6:00 this morning and worked on our fence around the new patio we installed. We have been working like a couple of Beavers on our landscaping.
After Sue and I got the fence secured, the 300# of displaced sand spread around the property, I fixed lunch for us, ate, and hopped on my bike for a ride around the Island. We have been so busy, my bike riding has been put on the back burner, I enjoy it so. Sue was pooped, so I soloed it.
The day was beautiful, large bright White fluffy clouds against a Blue sky, 83 degrees with a stiff wind from the South. I knew I would have an easy ride up the island, and a tough fight on the way back.
I left our site, rode along the beach where the wind surfers were having some sort of a contest, there were Yellow shirts with clipboards, small hand held air horns to signal the start of an event in hand. The wind sails were all different bright colors, the physically fit athletes jumping the waves, I imagine they were in heaven out there.
A beautiful girl was on the beach with a professional looking camera documenting the event, I would imagine it might have distracted a few of the less professional young men competing.
My ride took me to my first stop up Gulf Boulevard, Boomerang Billy’s Beach Bar. There was the usual entertainer there, a nice young woman who has a pleasant voice, singing the crowd’s favorites. She has an autistic son that she usually brings, but he was not there today. I hope he is OK. I had a cold beer ,then rode on down a mile or two to the Wanna Wanna Beach bar.
The entertainer there was really talented, a male soloist with some great electronic accompaniments. He sang some great country and western songs, (which I like, maybe that is why I thought he was so good…) I tipped him, he smiled and nodded. The beach seems to make everyone happy, no grouches allowed!
I hopped on my bike for the ride back. I called Sue and told her I was fighting a 25-30 mile headwind and would be using 1-1 on my gears to make it the 7 miles back….it would be a while. She replied to stay safe, and thanks for calling. She has not slept well since we have been digging in the dirt…everything is sore.
I was riding up Padre Boulevard when I saw a package in the street, it looked as if it needed me to get it out of the traffic, so I did. Turns out it belongs to Richard Guerra De La Graza, on 3504 Gulf Blvd.
Two C.D.s, one of migrating birds or something, and Lord of the Rings. I’ll get it to him tomorrow. I strapped it on my bike and continued the fight into the wind.
A mile or so closer to our home, I was passing the one Sushi eatery on the island, when I saw a young woman in a ˝ ton Dodge pickup backing up. I says to myself; “Hershel, she is going to hit that Mazda”
She did….Well, then she starts to drive away. I really should mind my own beeswax, but don’t. I accelerated up to the side of her truck and wagged my finger back and forth and shook my head from side to side. She stopped. I told her it would only be around $50.00 for the taillight she broke, and to go in and tell them what she did.
She parked and I stayed there until she came out with the little guy that owned the car. It wasn’t much of a car, but he may have got a ticket for the broken light.
As I was riding up the sidewalk towards our home, a car didn’t stop at an intersection, I had to lay my bike down, and I tumbled around like a Chinese acrobat on LSD. I got some road rash, Mr. Ricardo Gurerra De La Graza’s package spun down the road, but I hopped back on after securing packages, water bottles and his C.D.’ s and met Sue for a final cold one at our neighborhood beach bar, the Dolphin Bay Oyster bar.
Life is good on the Island…..

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 01:21 PM   #2
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
It sounds like old Hershel has himself a pretty good buddy...
You'll have to show us some pics of the new pad once you get it spiffed up. I bet it'll be plenty comfy.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 01:29 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Ozz, man, that sounds like you had a close one there. Glad you're enjoying the island. Sounds like you're whipping that lot into shape. We want a section of privacy fence at the east end of our patio, but not sure we'll be able to do it. They won't let us dig post holes here. Thought about bolting it to the concrete, but feel they'll nix that idea also. Afraid to put one of those sections on skids, as it might end up in Corpus with a strong wind.

BTW, I almost ran over a guy on a bicycle here last spring. I started to pull out on the main highway near here (4 lanes)after looking both directions. Just as I start to pull out, he shoots in front of me coming up the wrong side of the road, turning into the street I was on. Made my heart go up into my throat. Guess he wasn't familiar with bicycle laws in TX. He sure glared at me though.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 02:09 AM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Ozz, glad you are having a good time down there.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 03:34 AM   #5
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Either more brewskies or less brewskies if you are going to do dat.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 05:00 AM   #6
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Ozz glad you are OK.

You should write a book. You have a talent there. Why don't you write a book about your adventures RVing.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 05:32 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thank you Dusty, I know I would sell one, anyway. Appreciate that.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:55 PM   #8
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
OZZ:
Go ahead and write that book.... I would also take one. You are up to two (2) now in sales. Better yet, you should start writing for Good Sam magazine or something like that with a story every month. Your stories are very entertaining and I am sure Hershel would go for the publicity also.... I really enjoy your tales in the "Sitting by the campfire" section of MOC. Matter of fact, I try and read about anything that you have posted as it is usually a good read..JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:33 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
JB, I was going on a bike ride this morning, but now I can't get my helmet on..
Thank you very much. When I'm out somewhere I see things around me and find them so interesting, that's why I like my biking so much, I can slowly ride around taking it all in, listening to conversation, smelling the different smells, then I like to share my thoughts about them. I am afraid my machinist, and Pipefitter training left me with a serious lacking on how many verbs versus nouns I can jam into a sentence, but I do thank you, and Dusty.