Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2006, 02:06 AM   #1
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
New TV and hitch question

Well, on Saturday we bought a 2007 F250 SuperDuty PowerStroke Lariat, black with chrome package and gray leather interior.
Now for a question, what's the favored 5th wheel hitch now a day's.
We have a Draw Tite 16K double pivot slider that was in the Chevy, that we will use until we get a new hitch, but after 4 years of use it's starting to have a little "slop" here and there, especially in the slider rails / rollers and the side to side pivot pin.
I'm looking at the Reese Signature and the Reese 16K with the custom install brackets so I can do the install myself.
Love to have a SuperGlide, but don't want to spend that much for a hitch, plus where the Montana sits at home, I can't back perfectly straight in to hook up.
So, what's the favorite hitch?
Are the round tube sliders and better than the DrawTite I have?
Thanks

DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:31 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Boy, you're going to get a lot of opinions. The favorite hitch is the one each person has. I spent the money for the Trailer Saver hitch and wouldn't be without it.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:40 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I think whenever someones buys a hitch - it becomes thier favorite whether they actually like it or not! The hitch isn't necessarily something you can return to the store, and I've never heard anyone say they hate the hitch they bought and are going to replace it and take the loss.

I'm with Orv, you'll get a ton of opinions. I like Orv's Trailer Saver and would like to get one if I can scrape up the money, but for now my old style Reese slider works fine.

It might be better to pick one you are looking at and ask other users how well it has worked for them. I can honestly tell you that if I had to do it over again, I would have got the signature hitch instead of the standard Reese, as I like the positive lock on the head. However, I was a newbie and didn't research that well.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 06:59 AM   #4
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Ok, here goes my input... I ended up with an RBW "Little Rocker" which came with my previous 5er. It has served me well and still works good. I like the slide bar method that secures the trailer kingpin, unit pulls out easily...although pretty heavy.
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:28 AM   #5
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Personally, you can't beat the Superglide. Plus,IMHO, it is well worth the extra cost.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:21 AM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
While hitching up with a Superglide you do not have to be perfectly straight to hook up. It helps, but not required.

Reese makes a great hitch. If it feels right to you and meets your needs, by all means, go for it. I have been very happy with my Superglide. The hitch was cheaper than what repair costs of the truck and coach would be if the two were to ever meet. Happy shopping...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:31 PM   #7
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
Reese 16K pivot and Bed Saver works for me. No problems with either one.
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:09 PM   #8
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Today I had the Reese 18K Signature Series Slider with under bed mounts installed in my 2006 F350 Lariat Super Duty. It will work just fine for my needs. Do the research and get what YOU are happy with.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:42 PM   #9
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
These are very good hitches and reasonable in price. I like a hitch that allows you see when the pin is locked in place. I would never own a hitch that tells you do do a little pre-pull to make sure you are locked, yet some hitch makers tell you that. With a Hijacker, you can see your pin is locked, no need to put strain on your landing gear with a test pull.
Hi jackers come in many styles and they are built like a Sherman Tank. Mine is 10 years old and I have installed it myself on my last 3 trucks. The instructions on the website make installing a Hijacker a piece of cake.

http://www.hijacker.com/
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:25 PM   #10
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wrenchtraveller

These are very good hitches and reasonable in price. I like a hitch that allows you see when the pin is locked in place. I would never own a hitch that tells you do do a little pre-pull to make sure you are locked, yet some hitch makers tell you that. With a Hijacker, you can see your pin is locked, no need to put strain on your landing gear with a test pull.
Hi jackers come in many styles and they are built like a Sherman Tank. Mine is 10 years old and I have installed it myself on my last 3 trucks. The instructions on the website make installing a Hijacker a piece of cake.

http://www.hijacker.com/
Same here.

My 16k, four way Husky has a sliding bar that locks behind the pin...when it slams home, you can see it and hear it.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote