Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2006, 05:29 AM   #1
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
4 in exhaust system

Ok, did a search and couldn't find any discussion on the benifits of installing a 4in exhaust. I have a price for the entire stainless system and now I have to justify the cost with an mpg gain. I'm an old street rodder from the 60s and I know the benifits of duel exhaust, mostly performance and sound(did't care about mpg then), but it was much cheaper then. This post should not put a debate about manufacturers, I want to know how it increased your mpg!

Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 05:37 AM   #2
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I don't know about MPG gains but it will lower your exhaust temps by a few hundred degrees. I have thought about a stainless dual set up but I am after the cooler temps for when towing the trailer and the sound. I'm still a kid at heart and think the louder the better.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 05:49 AM   #3
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
I had it my dually and it made my ride cooler and got to 80 alot easier.it was worth it but the little hp gain was noticeable after I had it installed. will get it done on my 06 when I get a spare $700.00
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 06:15 AM   #4
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I had 4" on my 01 and it did lower the temp.....made it sound like a hot rod too!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:25 AM   #5
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
I did it on my 2001 F250, not change in MPG, did make it louder. I will stay stock on my 05'.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 11:56 AM   #6
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
99 Ram Diesel...4 " exhaust (installed in Jan '06) lowered the EGTs significanlty, esp at high throttle settings. This translated to being better on hills. I watch my EGTs carefully and tend to be a little "softer" on the throttle than most, (old airplane habits)...not a hot-rodder, but I know the power is somewhat greater at almost any throttle position.

As far as MPG, I have noticed a slight improvement under normal cruise conditions....but that almost has to be, since the engine is working slightly more efficiently, slightly less throttle needed to maintain steady state cruise power at any specific speed.

Wish I could give you a firm # on the MPG, but not enough data yet for me to be sure, but it is looking like around .8 mpg improvement.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 12:02 PM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Put a Banks 4" Monster Exhaust on my dually a few years ago. As mentioned earlier, max exhaust temps dropped around 110 degrees cooler especially pulling hills. I talked with the distributor about the noise before I bought the system. With the Banks exhaust system I got (stainless from turbo to tail pipe including muffler), the sound was barely more than stock which was what I was after. Driving down the road with the exhaust roaring gets old after a few miles! Overall conclusion ... exhaust temp runs cooler, turbo spools up quicker, minimal fuel mileage increase, but you will notice an increase in HP. I doubt if you could justify the installation on fuel savings alone unless you drove a boatload of miles ... exhaust temp and HP was the selling point for me.
I installed the kit in about 3 hours with minimal complications. Hardest part was jacking the truck up high enough to get the tail pipe off without cutting it as I intended and did sell the stock stainless system at a swap meet.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 12:42 PM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
This is another one of those back burner things. I've been kicking a 4" exhaust around for years and like Emmel I needed to be able to justify the cost factor. My GMC has all the HP I need, so far the trans runs within the proper temperature range. I absolutely do not want louder. That was a good part of my reasoning years ago to get a quiet Duramax in the first place. If .8 MPG is an actual gain it is not what I would call an improvement. So if I can't get significantly better MPG with the 4" exhaust than my thinking has become moot.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 01:26 PM   #9
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
I went with a 3 inch down pipe and 4 inck exhaust with a cat delete did notice better throttle response and better fuel milage have not had a chance to do a milage check yet, sure can here that turbo whistle a lot quicker, I think the older diesel see a bigger increase in milage and performance than the newer diesels as the factories are geting more out of the newer motors. Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 05:53 AM   #10
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Emmel: Your DuraMax has the LB7 engine designation, so you have no cat. A 4" will be louder on your truck. Fuel mileage increase? Don't count on it. Power increase? Totally debatable. Don't count on it either. Proven benefit and why I did mine is cooling. Depending on where you live, stainless could be overkill. These systems are available in aluminized stainless for a lot less $, which is the same material the stock systems are made of. Glenn: Your DuraMax has the LLY engine. You have a cat and the turbo is different. It has variable vanes in it, and this keeps the exhaust quieter. I was looking for more sound than I got. Didn't change much from stock sound. Installation was a snap, did it myself. Took about 3o minutes, but a hoist is a real time and body saver. You don't have to cut the old system to get it off if you have it on a hoist.
www.dieselplace.com has a lot of discussion on these subjects for DuraMax owners. Ford and Dodge have similiar sites. Just my 2 1/2 cents.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 08:41 AM   #11
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Clyde,

I’m guessing you have an idea of what good a EGT gage will do.

I always wondered about them. I’d love to have a set of gages on my pillar. But, I’d like to know about what it takes to best monitor the Turbo. I’m guessing that knowing the temp before it gets to the Turbo is good. And maybe knowing the temp as it hits the downpipe is gravy. But is there any reason to maybe have BOTH? Or does just knowing what temp the Turbo is getting enough?

I’d want a Tranny Temp gage, as well. I don’t know if everyone knows it, yet, but at least in my 2002 and this 2005 Ford, the tranny gage only moves above that standard point AFTER the temp is too hot, and possible damage is already done. It isn’t quite like the water temp gage.

And I know that to be true because of my experience of using OD too much in the 2002, on the Alcan Highway, and suffering burnt discs in the tranny, before that gage moved a hair.

I’m just afraid of drilling anywhere prior to the Turbo, to install a sender, there, because the possible metal debris could be left in there, and cause damage to the Turbo. But I have heard of folks adding the senders, and having no problems? What’s up wit dat? You think they’ve pulled the pipe off the engine, drilled it, cleaned it, and then reinstalled it?

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 10:44 AM   #12
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Gyro I have a BD X monitor installed on my pillar by a truck performance shop $300.00 installed and love it. Tells me tranny temp, boost pressure, and EGT temp.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:59 AM   #13
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Broome,

Can you tell me where the EGT sender is located? Before, or after the Turbo.

I've heard that if it's after the Turbo, you should add a few degrees to its readout to know what the supposed Turbo intake temperature is...Which, if I'm recalling properly, is the most important number.

But, because you need to know how hot the Turbo's inlet is, that's where my question about drilling and installing a pre-Turbo sender comes from.

I recall that back in 2003, my wife and I flew down to San Jose, CA, and drove up to Portland, OR, for two great RV shows. After seeing the astronomical prices for installing a three-gage pillar set-up in Fairbanks, I was shocked to see the reasonable prices offered by a couple vendors at those shows. I think it was close to $1,000 in Fairbanks, and close to what you paid down in the lower 48.

Of course, I didn't have the truck with us at the time. I would have had them install it right then and there, if I did!

But I would have asked at the time about where the sender would be going.

I'm sure it's an easy thing to compensate for, if it's after the Turbo. Some gages are even digital, and can be set to warn you at a certain level. But if I would get one installed, I'd strive to have it placed pre-Turbo, if that is, after all, the more important temperature to note.

Thanks!
Steve

P.S.

Of course, I'm asking all this before even planning to acquire a re-programmer for this 6.0. I had a MicroChips SuperTuner for my 7.3, but since I never had gages, I could only feel safe with the "Tow-Safe" mode programmed. It rendered plenty more HP, alright. But I wonder if I had something for the Tranny Temp, I'd have noticed a problem I was causing by using OD too much when it wasn't advisable. The higher HP settings said that gages really were required.

I suspect that I'll go for a gage set, first, and then a programmer. I wouldn't push it without gages!

S.

P.P.S.

Just read up on your BD X Monitor, and it's SWEET!

Old 07-23-2006, 04:46 PM   #14
gungho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2818
4" cat back lower egt and faily consistant 2 mpg icrease without towing and about 1 mpg when towing.
gungho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:42 PM   #15
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gyro

Broome,

Can you tell me where the EGT sender is located? Before, or after the Turbo.

I've heard that if it's after the Turbo, you should add a few degrees to its readout to know what the supposed Turbo intake temperature is...Which, if I'm recalling properly, is the most important number.

But, because you need to know how hot the Turbo's inlet is, that's where my question about drilling and installing a pre-Turbo sender comes from.

I recall that back in 2003, my wife and I flew down to San Jose, CA, and drove up to Portland, OR, for two great RV shows. After seeing the astronomical prices for installing a three-gage pillar set-up in Fairbanks, I was shocked to see the reasonable prices offered by a couple vendors at those shows. I think it was close to $1,000 in Fairbanks, and close to what you paid down in the lower 48.

Of course, I didn't have the truck with us at the time. I would have had them install it right then and there, if I did!

But I would have asked at the time about where the sender would be going.

I'm sure it's an easy thing to compensate for, if it's after the Turbo. Some gages are even digital, and can be set to warn you at a certain level. But if I would get one installed, I'd strive to have it placed pre-Turbo, if that is, after all, the more important temperature to note.

Thanks!
Steve

P.S.

Of course, I'm asking all this before even planning to acquire a re-programmer for this 6.0. I had a MicroChips SuperTuner for my 7.3, but since I never had gages, I could only feel safe with the "Tow-Safe" mode programmed. It rendered plenty more HP, alright. But I wonder if I had something for the Tranny Temp, I'd have noticed a problem I was causing by using OD too much when it wasn't advisable. The higher HP settings said that gages really were required.

I suspect that I'll go for a gage set, first, and then a programmer. I wouldn't push it without gages!

S.

P.P.S.

Just read up on your BD X Monitor, and it's SWEET!

I have the pillar gages and really like them. My probe or sender is in the left exhaust manifold. It tells you sooner if the exhaust is too hot. I have 4" exhaust from turbo to the tip. I also have a chip in it programed for pulling and mpg. I really like the set up.I also have had no trouble with the exhaust getting to hot because the computer controls it also. If the exhaust gets up there in temp the computer cuts back the diesel to cool down the egt. Would I get the 4" inch exhaust,YES.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:57 PM   #16
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Mine is in the down tube leading to the exhaust I guess. They tapped into a threaded port that was there and installed it there. The X Monitor by BD is digital and has alarms and set points that you can program for your particular needs. really like seeing what my exact trans temp is. Wanted to see how accurate it was when they did my 30K service on transmission had the get to operating temp look at gage then that temp of fluid coming out. Was within 2 degrees of each other. Not bad.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:55 PM   #17
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Thanks, guys!

This is going into my "One of these days" file.

Steve
Old 07-29-2006, 10:15 AM   #18
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Well I had a full up Banks Kit on my 2000 model F-250, 7.3L to include the Monster exhaust. It all worked very good together. I did notice a lot of gain in torque ft lbs and hp. I checked it on the gyro and it was awsome. But like most guys who tinker with their toys, decided I wanted a King Ranch in 05 so I bought a new one. Love the bigger cab and the 4 doors over the old truck with the super cab. I do miss the bigger exhaust; not necessarily all of the other suff that I got from the Banks Kit however. The new truck has plenty of power and the tranny works great. I have already added a cold air intake but will probably add a larger exhaust soon, maybe duals if they are not too loud. I too am an old speed freak from the 60s and loved the boulevard rumble those old Walker Continentals made with a big old V-8. I just think a bigger exhaust with the bigger intake would help for what I need at this time. I did find the added HP with the full Banks kit did NOT increase MPG enough to make the swap feasible. Thanks for the good discussion.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:31 AM   #19
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
Its hard to tell if the fuel milage has improved becauce your right foot gets a little heavier with the added horse power and torque.
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote