Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2020, 07:36 AM   #1
BeckCass
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22689
Battery Box

The battery box in our MHC321MK has two terminals on the top. I am assuming that is to be able to charge the battery from an external source. The other function, along with the cables entering the box in the back of the top piece, seems to be making it nearly impossible to remove the top of the box to service the battery. Is there another function for these terminals? I am contemplating removing them and lowering the access point for the cables so I can actually get into this area, unless there is a solid reason not to.

2019 MHC321MK
2018 F-350 DRW CCLB 6.7 Powerstroke
One manic Dog
One spoiled cat

BeckCass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:38 AM   #2
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Yes to service the batteries you need to lift the box and remove the interior cables to the post to lift the box cover to check water levels. It is a real pain. I am moving to AGM batteries so no maint required. Otherwise I would replace the box. You could also bypass the interior cables and cut or drill access and run your external cables directly to the post that way the top is nothing more than a vented lid and easy to remove to service. You can also build your own boxes and vent the entire compartment. That compartment is isolated from the rest of the RV so not a big deal at all.
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote