Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2020, 03:13 AM   #21
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
sunshine 1 There is 1 1/4 hose that fills the tank and a 1/2 vent hose that goes to the tank. One of those is loose. I always travel with a full tank because I boondock most of the time. This is my 3rd Montana and never had a problem with traveling with a full tank.

1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 01:16 PM   #22
ojo123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21516
Your leak is probably coming from where the water hits the screen on the vent. It cannot escape through the screen Very fast so it runs down behind the metal skirt and into the underbelly. I have the same problem and had to do some additional sealing to minimize the back splash.
ojo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 01:41 PM   #23
Biker bill
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24657
Agree with jester
Biker bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:21 PM   #24
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I think there may be a difference in what folks are using their campers for showing up here. If your only using the tank for emergencies while on the road, logically a minimal amount is all you need in the tank. On the other hand if your going to camp where there is no water then a full to the brim tank makes sense.

As for us we are either bone dry or full depending on where we are headed and how long the trip. If we need a bathroom on the road we use a fuel station or some water out of jugs. For us that is easier than filling the tank.

I do have to disagree with some folks though. At least on our model I can tell the difference real quick on empty and full water tank when towing. But our water sits forward of the axles. I agree that sloshing would be a little more wear and tear but at these small volumes I don't think it is that big of a deal. I hauled bulk hazardous chemicals early in my Oilfield career. Have a have a real respect for the drivers hauling tankers. Only thing more unstable than liquids might be cattle.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 07:59 PM   #25
Scubadad

M.O.C. #20494
If you have water coming out from the belly, you have a crack. I was able to get a close look at mine after it fell out in the middle of the freeway. There are 3 connections to the tank. The hose to fill and pump from the tank, the low point drain, and the overflow out of the top. On mine there were 3 small straps holding the tank up. There were attached with small rivets on each end and they broke. I added two more straps and put bigger bolts to hold them up.
Scubadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:50 PM   #26
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
You know one of these days I need to take the entire corplast off and redo everything under there:
Put angle iron supports on tank bottoms.
Build access doors to the important areas like dump valves.
Tie up the wiring and plumbing.
Maybe add some valves on plumbing with access hatches for same.
Make sure the underbelly heating is run properly.
And then button the Corplast or whatever I replace it with using proper self tap screws.

I'm sure there are a half dozen other things that could be added to the list......

Basically rebuild the underside like it should be been built the first time......
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:22 PM   #27
sunshine 1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22947
Ojo 123,
thanks for sharing that you had the same problem. How did you fix the problem? Did you remove the Coroplast? I am not looking forward to do that, I am not a handyman type of guy.��
sunshine 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:40 PM   #28
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
You know one of these days I need to take the entire corplast off and redo everything under there:
Put angle iron supports on tank bottoms.
Build access doors to the important areas like dump valves.
Tie up the wiring and plumbing.
Maybe add some valves on plumbing with access hatches for same.
Make sure the underbelly heating is run properly.
And then button the Corplast or whatever I replace it with using proper self tap screws.

I'm sure there are a half dozen other things that could be added to the list......

Basically rebuild the underside like it should be been built the first time......

I did this on my last rig and planning on doing it on this one this spring, I retired the first of the year, plenty of time on my hands now for the RV.

20 years plus of RV'ing, always used the overflow to tell when she's full, I do travel to our local campgrounds full of water as there is not any available there, if we are heading on a trip, 3-6 gallons is good for bathroom breaks

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:50 PM   #29
Jim55
Established Member

M.O.C. #19907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
I got a water meter for the hose... and sometimes I still overflow
https://www.amazon.com/P3-Measure-Ga...e+meter&sr=8-4

I never thought of using that. It's a real good idea.

Jim
Jim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:18 PM   #30
Dreamersandtravelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14250
On our previous rv while filling tank I forgot and an hour or so later when I remembered the pressure swelling in the tank push up the floor. Never damaged the tank...... but a bowed floor could never be repaired.
Now we fill while watching untill it begins to overflow and turn off. Then off to boondocking. We also have extra 12v pump to transfer fresh water in each wk while boondocked. Can usually last 2 wks before black is full.
Dreamersandtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:14 AM   #31
ojo123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21516
My fresh water tank is in the rear and I just dropped a small portion of the coroplast to view the fresh water vent tube and sealed it better. the vent tube was placed about an inch or two too low making the water from the fresh water tank slosh against the screen.
ojo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 04:35 PM   #32
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I’ve driven doubles and tankers and I can tell you this, there’s a big difference between 70 gallons of water and 1800 gallons of #2 oil . Not so much in the turns but starting off and stopping . Holding your shift til the load comes back to hit the forward bulkhead is a big part of it.
70 gallons of water is over. 600 pads.
I’d rather carry that weight in fuel.
Just my thoughts.
Also when you stop that liquid hits the bulkhead then sloshes to the back and just as you want to let up on the brake pedal it hits the bulkhead again and wants to move you. You learn to hold that brake longer. I hauled 2000gal. non-hazardous waste and often had less than a full tank. Always kept a distance from the vehicle ahead.

Funny thing though, I read so much about how flimsy the tabs and straps for these tanks are, and I don't doubt what I'm reading but I've never seen a tank in the road so it doesn't seem they come out very often.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote