Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2019, 08:01 PM   #1
Narnia
Established Member

M.O.C. #23878
Is it OK to purchase a full-timer's rig?

Hi everyone! You all have been so very helpful!! I am so grateful!!

I have now found a 2009 3400RL that has been full-timed in, for 4 years.

I wonder if it's wise to purchase a rig that has had so much use? I wonder if full-timing causes unusual wear and tear that it will shorten its life-span?

Most likely, the carpet will need to be replaced. And the range looked in pretty rough shape. But, I have not seen it yet...it's 5 hours away, and would love to know if I should even consider one that has been used full-time.

Thanks again, for all your help!

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 08:57 PM   #2
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Full timing does put a LOT of extra wear and tear on the interior of a coach for certain. One thing you will likely find out about changing the carpet is its a LOT of work. We are replacing our carpet right now and there are about a million staples!! Real pain in the backside and knees!! Everything on the interior is going to get a real workout. Bathrooms in particular can become rough really quick with the cheap showers and fixtures. Constantly being damp is very hard RV bathrooms.

Generally the exterior condition has more to do with the location of the unit and if it is under a cover more than anything.

The running gear and frame condition will depend on how much traveling was involved. Some full timers travel weekly, some stay in one spot.

On the other hand, some full timers are really good about maintaining their rigs. After all it is their primary residence. It is far easier to justify maintaining a rig and adding extras if your living in it full time. Prime example is us replacing the carpet on our rig which is just two years old (we have only been full time in it for a year). And we are using higher grade materials for the new flooring. If we hadn't been pushed to full time due to my work we would most likely never have replaced the flooring. Likewise we will be adding a third AC and other extras.

So sometimes you can actually get a much better unit from a full timer. But it is a case by case basis and I would be willing to bet that poor vs good is going to be lopsided to the bad side overall particularly on the lower priced units.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 09:06 PM   #3
Narnia
Established Member

M.O.C. #23878
Thank you! She said that her husband is an electrician, so he stayed on top of things.

She said that they traveled a lot and saw the country, and now, it's time to settle back down, so they built a house.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:12 PM   #4
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
I agree it's a case by case scenario. Whomever purchases our rig will get a rig with all the suspect Keystone supplier parts replaced with much higher grade equipment. We do the preventive maintenance, we perform repairs promptly and we clean on an OCD level. We have been discussing an "upgrade" for some time but seem to come back to the devil you know outcome.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 09:48 PM   #5
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Thank you! She said that her husband is an electrician, so he stayed on top of things.

She said that they traveled a lot and saw the country, and now, it's time to settle back down, so they built a house.
Just about every seller is going to give you that story. You have to learn to judge for yourself. Don't rush things and not trying to sound ugly but don't just take peoples word. Take your time, learn the market and RVs in general. Ask a thousand questions. In other words do your research.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 09:51 PM   #6
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
No way would I buy a rig that had been full timed for any length of time.
Tons of excessive interior wear and tear on those units. That's what you
can see. Imagine the wear on the parts you can't see.... Not for me.

We looked at several trade ins last year when shopping for our new 5er.
I could tell the full-timed units within 30 seconds of walking through the door.

Tons of used units out there with very little use. Some a couple years old and only used a few times each year. I would look elsewhere for sure.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 09:59 PM   #7
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Narnia you may also want to consider using a professional inspector. They are not infallible but they have the know how to spot water damage, exterior delamination, and other major items you want to avoid. If you don’t have the experience to spot these items this may be a worthwhile avenue to consider. I would not rule out a rig out of hand because it was used full time.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 05:25 AM   #8
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
X2 the Inspector
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 05:58 AM   #9
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeker View Post
No way would I buy a rig that had been full timed for any length of time.
Tons of excessive interior wear and tear on those units. That's what you
can see. Imagine the wear on the parts you can't see.... Not for me.
Not always the case. We have been full time over 9 years and take VERY good care of our unit(s). We always remove our shoes at the door where they are stored in a shoe caddy I installed and we NEVER allow smoking or pets in the unit. When there is an issue with something it is repaired by me when possible or if not possible it is taken to a qualified repairman.

We will be giving up the lifestyle in a few days for medical reasons and our current unit will be put on the market. Someone will get a very good & clean Montana at a fair price.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 07:37 AM   #10
Narnia
Established Member

M.O.C. #23878
Thanks, everyone! We have enough experience shopping RVs to spot delam and know to look for leaks.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:52 AM   #11
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Fulltime rig can be a great buy. We fulltimed for almost seven years, met lots of folks. Most full-timers are handy, maintain their rig with pride (it is their home), have done many upgrades, dumped the OEM furniture, and on that 2009, some appliances may have already been replaced. Professional inspection and price make it a good or bad choice.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote