Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2013, 02:16 AM   #1
cargary2
Established Member

M.O.C. #13392
Level up system.

Hi everyone.
I have been watching the latest posts on the Level up system to see if anyone else has had a situation occur as did with ours. So far, no one has said anything on it. So, bear with me and I will explain our issue as best as I can.
We have a 2013 Monty 3100rl and after unhooking and moving the truck our of harms way, I pushed the level up button and all of the remaining legs came down except the one on passengers side - rear. It never came at all and I left it like that and the good news it hasn't happened again. We had several other campouts since and everything performed as it should have. However, I must point out that we camp with another family member and she has her own unit (a 2013 3400rl) and she had the same problem though in her case, 3 of the 4 rear and middle legs did not come down on one occasion and this has not repeated itself either since that one time occurrence.
Has anyone else had this happen? If so, what did you do, if anything to deal with it?
Thanks in advance any assistance with this issue.
Cargary

cargary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:23 AM   #2
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Mines never done that but if it did or in your case did you retract everything again and try it? Someone will be along that knows a lot more than me on this subject. I know there is a reset also???
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:37 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
During our PDI, the instructions from the tech were that if anything did not appear to be correct, to start the process over.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:06 AM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I have never had that happen in over two years of use. Lots of other weird things but no legs that didn't extend. But if it does happen in the future, I now know what to try first.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
cargary2
Established Member

M.O.C. #13392
To be honest, when I was first trying the system out, I was quite intimidated and didn't want to make matters worst, so I left well enough alone. I had only went camping once before this had happened and thought I would leave well enough alone. I could understand it if the leg that didn't function properly had extended out and didn't make surface contact and then either stayed there or retracted. That would tell me that at least the leg had tried to function properly and wasn't able to make contact and went back to the home position due to an incomplete reading on the sensor - but it didn't do that and it puzzles me as to why.
As with most new things, there are always some repairs that have to be addressed after the trial runs and I did take it in to the dealership and the service tech said he had tried to make it repeat this again and could not. He then called the factory and asked them and they had no answer for this issue either. So, I guess, as long as I have it documented that I have had this trouble previous to the warranty time expiring, I should be okay....I would think?
Thanks,
Cargary
Old 11-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
Send a message via MSN to Ramblin Roadrunners
Sounds like air in the system of not enough ATF in system. Maybe it got an air lock. System needs to be bled like brakes on car.
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
As said above ensure the ATF level in the tank is full when all legs and slides are up and closed. Air in the system will create odd events with the legs and the slides.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
Another thought. sometimes a hydrolic system will work itself out or has a way of working the air out. When the system is first built and filled with fluid, the fluid will get a lot of tiny air bubbles in it. Maybe yours needs to go up and down a few times to work the air out. If it does not work its self out; the dealer may need to bleed the system.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #9
farmall130
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13857
Probably unrelated, but my dealer said the systems are very voltage finicky, and if you have an issue due to low voltage, it will not always tell you why....
farmall130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:41 AM   #10
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
The fluid is moved by a hydrolic motor. I would think the motor only knows on or off. The control panel might be finicky to voltage. When the motor comes on to move fluid; fluid is moved by path of least resistance until all cylinders are full and pressure is reached. An air lock will act like pressure is reached while not actually moving the cylinder and the control panel see it has met the pressure requirement thus shutting off system.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #11
cargary2
Established Member

M.O.C. #13392
Thanks everyone for the thoughts about my problem. As I have only had this happen once, I will be mindful that it has happened and if it does this again, it will be taken back to the dealer for them to trouble shoot and fix. Maybe, as one of the members suggested, that with use, it may have cured itself....lets hope so.
If this should occur again when camping, I think I will retract the back legs and try it again, as someone suggested and if that doesn't take care of the problem, I will go to the manual mode and lower those legs to where they just touch and raise it a tiny bit and let it go at that and after we return home, it will go to the dealer.
In my opinion, when a system is supposed to be a 6 point leveling system, I think all 6 legs should be operational in leveling and stabilizing the fiver and nothing less...right?
Again, thanks for the comments and ideas.
Cargary
Old 11-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #12
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I would think a recycle of the system would resolve the issue.
I understand why you would be concerned
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #13
farmall130
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13857
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ramblin Roadrunners

The fluid is moved by a hydrolic motor. I would think the motor only knows on or off. The control panel might be finicky to voltage. When the motor comes on to move fluid; fluid is moved by path of least resistance until all cylinders are full and pressure is reached. An air lock will act like pressure is reached while not actually moving the cylinder and the control panel see it has met the pressure requirement thus shutting off system.
I agree, but motors have to be fed the correct voltage, they know on and off, but they know when they are not getting sufficient current to work properly.
farmall130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:34 PM   #14
Whiskeydick
Established Member

M.O.C. #23582
Hydrolic cylinder

Long story, the neighbor and I headed to the lake about 100 miles away. His 2017 3810 ms. When we arrive his door side slide was out about four inches on the bottom. He leveled it up and unhooked, then started running out the slides, both went out about half way and quit, no hydrolic fluid, so 100 mile trip to get more fluid, got the slides out and set up, the fluid went out the door side cylinder seal, snap ring came off and let the metal seal pop out. Called Lippert and the tech was helpful but first time he had heard of this happening, gave us some suggestions but nothing helped.
Weather turning crappy gonna work on getting slides in with no hydrolic pressure. Kinda trickey but got it done and got the rigs home, anybody else have an issue like this? Thanks
Whiskeydick is offline   Reply With Quote