Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2018, 08:28 PM   #1
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
A bit of conversation on AC cooling or lack of

No matter what RV forum you visit in recent years, the topic of inadequate cooling is near the top of most visited threads. The causes range from collapsed return air ducts with the Whisper Quiet design, to a lesser degree collapsed supply ducts, the divider under the roof top unit that separates the return from supply air, and also just plain not enough square inches of venting per manufacturers specs. One cause not talked about much is what Freon is being used. A brand new unit today more than likely uses 410A … the older units more than likely use R22. R22 is being phased out … 410A is in, but runs at a higher pressure. A same sized R22 unit will cool better than a 410A unit ... most any honest AC tech will admit it … at least in my neck of the woods. Although I'm talking stick house units here ... some local AC companies are upsizing the new central AC units a bit for a given square footage to compensate. Current large capacity RV AC's are 15K BTU … perhaps they need to bump them up a bit as well instead of just installing #3 roof unit.

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:53 AM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
What I don’t understand is my home has 2 tons 24000 btu air conditioning. These 400 square campers have 30000 btu and still wont cool the campers. I have a 200 square foot sunroom with 12000 btu air conditioning, 5 sliding glass doors and 3 sky lights and I don’t run a forth of the time. Something just ain’t right with this.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:04 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Your home isn't suspended in the air and open to the wind on all four sides and it also has much better insulation and venting in your attic area. Your home also doesn't have slideouts with all the air leaks and even less insulation and no vents in the roof area.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:10 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
What DQDick said.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:03 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
They advertise these campers with very high R values certainly more than a glass door or a skylight has. 12000 BYUs cools my sunroom so certainly 30000 should cool less Space per AC unit in a camper IF and that is a big IF the AC actually put out 15000 BTUs each. Either they don’t put out nearly 15000 BTUs or they are extremely inefficient.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:44 PM   #6
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
As I noted on another thread, the insulation envelope has HUGE gaps in it. You have vast areas with little more than a piece of 1/2 inch plywood between the conditioned air space and the outside, plus as has been noted, gaps and cracks at slides, lots of window glass, skylights and roof vents, etc. plus the crummy ducting noted above. And, although the black painted endcap looks bitchin, it gets the upstairs area super hot when facing the sun.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:08 PM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I've posted this link a few times over the past years of what I did to my 3150 with the dropped frame. It helped cooling and heating very noticeably and all but eliminated the cool winter drafts and blasts of hot summer air coming out from under the stairs. Like mentioned … the cargo doors don't seal very well at all and it can carry on in to the fiver living area.
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ht=design+flaw
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:50 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Nice job!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote