Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2018, 05:48 AM   #1
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Summer Storage at Dealer update

Well I called the dealer on Wendnesday and asked how the repairs were coming. The 26th was its scheduled appointment. Tehy told me they were not quite done troubleshooting and submitting things to Keystone. Thursday I got a call saying everything but the door was approved and parts were being ordered. Sounds good right?

Well not really.

See I took it in for what I call major system problems.
Rear AC not cooling like I think it should.
Furnace not working
Levelers not working right
And the door was rubbing big time
Plus several small issues.

All if the small issues were approved.
AC was working per specs-- arg I do not believe it.
Furnace- too hot to test. Yes, I know it is 100 degrees out now, but 6 weeks ago it was not.
Level system works fine in the shop's bay, like there are many campsites out there that are as level as the shop
They found the door was not hung right and needed to be removed and rehung. Adjustments to doors and awnings are not covered after 90 days. It has been at the dealers for a total of 12 weeks.

Well instead of calling back to discuss, I went down there. The Service adviser I have been working with was not there. I talked tot eh other service adviser. He gave me the run down. Left and went to CW to get my 320 toilet with 3 day old expired $25 coupon and sale it was cheapest price $184.

Well I had time to stew on things.

Went back and talked to my service adviser.
AC-- If the AC is working to spec, why not cool the camper enough to be able to troubleshoot Furnace? Well they are going to do that. Maybe they will find the AC is not working like it should and I get my furnace fixed.

Levelers-- take it out of the shop and try leveling it on ground that is not so level- They will try that.
I explained how I try with ramps and legos to pre-level and limit leveler travel and still no joy. So they are now willing to try it out of the shop.

Door- what dealer is saying is because door needs more than adjusting it needs to be rehung-- it is a repair. Keystone says out of 90 days no adjustments. So I get to call Keystone customer service. Will see if I get treated as well as I treat my customers.

So By not taking their first answer I think I may get a little closer to getting my camper out out of summer storage and actually fixed right. They did tell me they ave 432 open tickets and 8 techs. So yes, they have a lot of pressure to not spend a lot of time looking at things, but instead they get to look at things twice this way. The service advisers are really trying to help.

2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:35 AM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Sounds like a frustrating battle.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:22 AM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
You have way more faith in the service advisors that I have come to settle on. A few years back I took my rig in for one of the few times to get it repaired instead of doing it myself warranty or not. Distance was @140 miles so phone calls were necessary to update progress. Service advisor told me on several occasions that all 4 items were approved and in progress. Weeks went by with same conversation, so I drove the distance and just popped in one day. One item was fixed … sorta … rest had not even been started on. A loud heated discussion about lying boldfaced to customers in the owners office getting the attention of other customers followed by me towing my fiver as was off the lot ended the day. I called the regional rep, had parts sent to my door, jobs were finished a few days later. Yeah I know … many don't have the skills to end the story this way … fortunately I did.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:46 AM   #4
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
The moral of this story is people who don't know how to work on their rvs, shouldn't buy them. Sounds harsh, but dealers in general are not going to do what they should...treat customers right...hold the manufacturers feet to the fire. In general, I think the rv industry is one big old boys club laughing at how good they have it.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:54 AM   #5
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Well the big 4 items on my list will require parts i.e Money to fix. I would rather not have to pay for the repairs out of my pocket.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:07 PM   #6
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Okay I called customer service at keystone today.

Question #1 About my door improperly hung and needs to be rehung-- Dealer submitted that the screen was out of adjustment --- adjust are excluded from warranty after 90 days-- But this is not a simple adjustment this ti rehanging the door-- that is not what was submitted-- back to dealer

#2 When were the improved duct AC ducts added to HC line?--Customer service has no idea
Will just add PVC and hope that addresses it

#3 Explained how I am using legos to pre-level camper and limit leg travel to 8" and cannot get it to level 80% of the time. Pressing Auto=level should work was the answer.

#4 What are the depths of the tanks? No idea Was looking to see what size Seelevel sensors were needed

#5 What is the size of the galley tank valve? No idea -- looking to see what size electric valve/actuator I would need.

She was able to give me the number for Lippert Customer service.

She asked if there was anything else she could help me with. I very nicely pointed out she has not helped me with anything yet.

She then pointed I could get remove the bottom of my camper and look. I responded My camper has been at the dealer's for 8 weeks and if I am lucky will be there for another 2. So it will be awhile.

I know some folks have good luck with Keystone customer service. Me not so much.

Waiting now for dealer to call me back.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:02 PM   #7
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Okay Keystone Customer service reached out to me.
They have approved rehanging the door!!

The person who called did not know when the change over to the crush resistant AC were phased in. Called dealer and they are going to revisit it. It helps they had 2 crushed AC vents they have worked on this week-- Progress

Keystone and Dealer agree calling Lippert about Auto-level issue is a good next step.
will jreport back on how I make out. I know others have this same issue.

Grey and black tanks are 6-7 inches tall. Fresh is 10 -12 inches.

Galley Tank valve is 1 1/5 inch and the valve is made by Lavature. So I do not think the actuator will work. Will need to replace the whole assembly to make it electric.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:11 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you are using blocks under the front jacks your problem could be not having enough down travel to start the process. I use what basically is 5 2x12's under my front jacks and have to raise it significantly after unhitching before I hit auto level or I'll get a jack error.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:24 PM   #9
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
If you are using blocks under the front jacks your problem could be not having enough down travel to start the process. I use what basically is 5 2x12's under my front jacks and have to raise it significantly after unhitching before I hit auto level or I'll get a jack error.
I've had to dig holes where the front landing gear would touch the ground to get the nose down enough to complete the auto level cycle. That lesson cost two hours of my life I will never get back.
Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:29 AM   #10
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
What I do is extend the front feet then the legs so that it has enough travel for its up and down wiggle. unhitch. using a bullet level, level it front to back. measure rear and middle legs and lego em so they will have about 8" of travel to make things level, then raise the front about 2" above level, hit Auto-level (Which at this point is an oxy-moron) then watch it struggle and error out.

My Plan is when I go to pick it up is to level it where they leave it for pick up. It is not level and I am hoping to "break it" in their parking lot.
Then they either need to tell me what I am doing wrong or fix it where it sits.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:09 PM   #11
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtis934 View Post
The moral of this story is people who don't know how to work on their rvs, shouldn't buy them.
Harsh? No. Silly? Yes. Same with computers? Cell phones? Automobiles, airplanes and boats? Consumers shouldn't have to be and can't be expected to be service technicians in ANY industry.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:16 PM   #12
Rob_Fla

M.O.C. #10162
Yep the leveling always has to get the front of the trailer way below level to start the auto leveling pricess as the system only levels In the up direction , it will not auto level in the down direction
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:11 PM   #13
Snoopy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18896
Send a message via MSN to Snoopy Send a message via Yahoo to Snoopy
PLEASE call and talk to lippert tech support. I did yesterday, after having similar problems.
Their tech help me clear a jack out of range error, and walked me thru the leveling system on my 331rl. He even taught me to manually level the system.
Snoopy
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:20 PM   #14
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Summer time, they make more money on the installs of equipment they sell than what they fix under a limited warranty. Time to find a new dealer or repair shop.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:47 PM   #15
Mr. C
Established Member

M.O.C. #21177
I wanted to look a a new Montana but after seeing the way they are built I'm wanting to get completely out. It's not just Keystone it's all of the manufactures. They put together crap.

There is no quality control and definitely no pride in what the technicaians build.

My brother bought a new DRV Mobile Suite last October and has had nothing but problems. It's headed to the manufacturer in August.

What fun is it to spend a small fortune on something and have to constantly work on it due to the crap the manufactured put together.
Mr. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:13 PM   #16
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Mr.C I take issue with what you are saying. There are thousands of rigs out there with little to no problems mine for one.

Yes I have had a problem with the hydraulic system because a tech cut two of the hydraulic lines. Not keystones problem.

Look for an update on this in a day or so.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:58 AM   #17
socoinc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21247
What I have learned after 23 years & my 4th 5th wheel. Is carry lots of tools & work on them yourself & have all manufactures phone numbers on your cell phone. Lippert Components. Dometic etc
socoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:58 AM   #18
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I agree with what was said earlier. If you are not capable of working on your own unit, then you will be in for a world of hurt trying to deal with any dealers bs
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:23 AM   #19
CarolD
Established Member

M.O.C. #22008
For us it's not the inability to work on it....it's why the hell am i working on a brand new trailer that I paid thousands of dollars for???

I hate that Keystone throws them together...I get it that testing everything in the units prior to sending them to the dealers is nuts when they mass produce them. I hate that the dealers don't do anything to them until they are purchased!

We bought our unit a month ago - down pay on 6/9 delivery finally on 6/25 after so many issues. And now after sitting in my driveway since we now need to haul it back (90 miles)because one of the jacks is leaking like a sieve. AND we have yet to sleep in it or even open it up!

My husband can and will do anything except engine repair so it's not like we can't do on our own, but if we are gonna void our warranty ( bad as it maybe) we feel obligated to have the dealership give us the run around.
CarolD is offline   Reply With Quote