Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2005, 11:24 AM   #1
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Stormy

Well we knew the day would come sometime.

This morning Stormy was having a hard time breathing and just laying. He would not even eat! We know something is wrong if he won't eat. So we take him to the vet. They take an X-ray and it shows a huge mass in his abdomen. The doctors are certain it is cancer. He is in pain.

So we gave the OK to have him put down. He would have been 15 years old in December. He had a great life and he will be missed.

Roscoe, who has been having all sorts of problems, seems to be completely well. He's acting almost like a young puppy! It will be interesting to see how he adjusts to not having his brother around.

As much as we'll miss Stormy we're happy knowing he won't be suffering.

Dennis and Mary Kay

HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 11:59 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Dennis and Mary Kay,
We are very sorry to hear about Stormy. We have been there with one of our Border Collies who had the exact same problem. Your attitude sounds good. At 15 years he had a long, and I'm sure interesting, life with you. You still have Roscoe to keep you company, but we know that you will miss his distinct personality. Our thoughts are with you.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 12:04 PM   #3
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Sorry to hear the news. No matter how hard we try to not get attached to our pets it is inevitable that they can bring us so much happiness, joy and pain. Hope Roscoe adjusts to loosing his brother.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 12:46 PM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Dennis and Mary Kay
We are so sorry to hear about Stormy. We know your pain. Our little guy was the same age when we had to let him go 2 years ago. He was almost blind, almost deaf and having seizures. We know he was better off in doggy heaven as I'm sure you do with Stormy. But it is so very hard I know. I hope Roscoe continues with good health.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 02:05 PM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Dennis and Mary Kay,

Here is a poem that brings comfort to many of us that have lost our little friends, I hope it will give you some. I am so sorry to hear of your loss, Carol

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to some-
one here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows
and hills for all our special friends so they can run and
play together. There is plenty of food, water, and sunshine
and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who have been ill and old are restored to health
and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong
again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times
gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small
thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be
left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when
one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are
intent; his eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly, he begins to run
from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him
faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend
finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to
be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your
hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more
into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your
life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together...

-- Anon. --

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 03:12 PM   #6
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
Sorry to hear about Stormy. Our daught and her family had to make that decision concerning their dog this last week. It was really hard on her and her 9 and 7 year old children. Sometimes, the only difference between our kids and our pets is that we can't (legally) claim our pets on our 1040's.
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 04:33 PM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
What a shock, Dennis. I would never have guess that Stormy would be the one to be so sick after all the problems that Roscoe has had. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Your buddy Roscoe will comfort you on these sad days, I'm sure. Glad to hear that he is doing well.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 09:20 PM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Sorry to hear about your silent key, but as you said he is not in pain and playing with the best of them.
God Bless.
Good luck and tow safe.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 01:40 AM   #9
Montana_4944
Established Member

M.O.C. #4944
So sorry about your loss. We have had to make that decision before and it is one of the hardest thing to do. But it just shows how much our little friends mean to us.
Montana_4944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 02:10 AM   #10
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Sorry for your loss of Stormy. I will consider ourselves blessed if we are lucky enough that our dogs live well to the age of 15.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 03:28 AM   #11
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Dennis and Mary Kay, you have our deepest sympathy.

Bill and Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 05:09 AM   #12
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Dennis and Mary Kay ... please accept our deepest, sincerest sympathies. I know how hard this is for you ...
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 08:38 AM   #13
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Dennis and Mary Kay,

Please accept our sincerest sympathies. It is so hard to let our friends, our children, go, but it is so selfish to do otherwise. I'm glad we had a chance to meet both Roscoe and Stormy, and we look forward to seeing Roscoe again at Shasta.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 10:48 AM   #14
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Dennis and Mary Kay, we are very sorry to hear that you have lost Stormy. Loosing a pet is very hard and we know that you will miss him dearly.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 01:54 PM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
The bond between pets and their owners is as extremely strong. That's why they had so many people in New Orleans that refused to leave before and after Katrina came through. They wouldn't leave their pet. The authorities tried to force the issue and they lost in most cases, unless the pet was retrieved also. For many of those people, this was the only companion they've had for years. They are a part of their life. A big part. Many were willing to risk dying to stay with their only comfort and joy that they had in life anyway. It's like ripping out a part of your heart. No way.

That's why when Rita came in a few weeks later, authorities realized they had no choice but to make accommodations for pets WITH their owners or they would be facing the same dilemma again.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 11:58 PM   #16
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Dennis and Mary Kay - sorry to hear about Stormy. I can sympathize with you as I have had to put down two dogs and recently our 23 year old cat. These are hard decisions but you know you did the right thing as they went peacefully and they are no longer suffering. Betty and I have decided that we will not get any more pets....they are great company but it is so hard to lose them.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 07:10 AM   #17
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Dennis and Mary Kay,
So sorry to hear the news about Stormy. At least now he's out of pain and I know you're relieved not to be worrying about him. You'll always remember the happy days even though you'll miss him terribly, and I'm sure Roscoe will, too. But maybe Roscoe will be happy to be an "only" dog and he'll continue to give you pleasure and contentment. I'm glad to have known Stormy, even for a brief time.

Big Hugs,
Sharon
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 09:00 AM   #18
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
So sorry to hear about your loss. In this season of Thanksgiving, you can remember and give thanks for all the joy he has given you over the years. Our best to all of you...
Myrna and Bob
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 04:03 PM   #19
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
Dennis and Mary Kay: Our hearts go out to you, we know how hard it is to loose one of our loved ones. I hope the rainbow bridge gave you some comfort.
hugs,
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 07:11 PM   #20
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
The hurt is still very fresh and deep but with support from all you folks it is already getting better.

I want to thank everyone who has responded......
John and Donna
Don
Sue and Ed

Carol and Al..... The poem is great. I've seen it many times and it always makes me feel better. I also visit their website from time to time. There are some great stories there. Every pet lover should visit it.

Steve and Sharon ..... children are often VERY close to a pet and as you indicated it is really rough on them.

Judy and Glenn
H. John Kohl
Sue (Yorkiesue)
315RLS
Bill and Helen
Steve and Vicki
Bob and Sharon
Doug and Sharon
Dave and Cheryl
Steve and Vicki
Sharon (Gypsy)
Myrna and Bob

Thank you all so much you can never know how much your thoughts help.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote