Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2023, 10:20 AM   #1
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Expecting the unexpected

Our best laid plans are never 100% solid, are they. We started out this past Monday for a trip to Arizona and back (starting in Portland, OR). First stop is in Bend, OR. Pulling into town and blew the head gasket on the TV.

We believe that God’s always got us and this was no different. We have good friends in town. They put us in touch with a member of their church that owns a diesel shop. He had a cancellation and got us in immediately to analyze…yep, blown head gasket. Parts are on order and we are “stuck” in Bend in a beautiful RV park. Our plans have changed a bit but we couldn’t have asked for better “circumstances” for breaking down.

I’m sure others have experienced something similar. Breaking down certainly wasn’t part of our planning. But all you can do is deal with it and move on.

FWIW, Sun Outdoors RV Park in south Bend is a very nice park…recommended.

jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 10:54 AM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I certainly identify with you on that one. I think we've all had experiences like that. What's the old saying, "If life throws lemons at you, make lemoniid!"

We were heading from near Indianapolis, Indiana to Florence Marina State Park in Georgia when we were on I-75. We just crossed the Kentucky - Tennessee state line when the truck died (towing our Montana). It was a Friday evening. Everything closed in that area. We were able to get a tow truck that towed both the truck and trailer together and we ended up going to a motel at Jellico, Tennessee where we sat till Tuesday morning. The tow truck driver towed truck and trailer to the motel. We unhitched the trailer, left it in the gravel parking lot and we rented a room for the next 3 days. No electricity to the Montana. The truck was then towed to Corbin, Kentucky to a GM dealership that could fix the truck.

It took till Tuesday, we were able to get another tow truck to tow the fifth wheel to the KOA at Corbin Kentucky and we were able to get a car rental for an undetermined length of time.

It turned out we blew (well, sorry, I can't remember now). Anyway, it cost us over $4000 to fix.

Since we had the rental car we turned the lemons into something positive. We never made it to Georgia, we spent the rest of the week at the KOA in Corbin, but we sure traveled around, explored, hiked, and traveled some of the greatest areas we'd ever been too. We saw water fall, mountains, and some really beautiful forested areas.

We hope someday, to finally make it to Florence Mariana State Park in Georgia, but for now, we do have fond memories of our "failed" adventure.

Our first shock: How everything was towed!

Our second shock: When we saw the truck in the shop!

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 11:22 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Been there. Several years ago we were taking our two young granddaughters on a trip. Had a reservation at a KOA just east of OKC. Just 5 miles short of the KOA truck suddenly died on I-40. And of course it was a Friday afternoon and girls had to be back in school by Tuesday.

Called a wrecker service who said they could tow our truck and 5er. They showed up with a roll back tow truck and a pickup with a 5th wheel hitch. They loaded my truck on the tow truck and took my wife and the girls to a Ford dealer. Guy in pickup took the 5er and me to the KOA. He pulled the 5er into my assigned site, waited while I set it up and turned on the A/C (was over 100 degrees), then took me to the Ford dealer. Two great tow service guys.

Explained my situation to the service advisor. About 4:00 PM by now. He said he would see what he could do. Still under warranty on truck so they provided a rent car.

We took the car and went to do some things we had planned. Dealer called Saturday about noon and said truck was ready! (Cam sensor had failed) Picked up truck and continued our activities with only minor disruption.

Had another issue at an isolated rest area on I-40 near Santa Rosa NM when my truck and trailer was stuck to the hot asphalt pavement in the rest area. Well over 100 that day. Long story there but it also worked out well.

Things seem to have a way of working out sometimes. Someone looking after us???
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 02:00 PM   #4
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Yep been there. Just leaving town when my TV blew a spark plug out of the cylinder. Was towed to a shop where we spent the night in the trailer in the parking lot. TV was repaired the next day. Luckily we only lost a day. Still stressful. Oh ya.... I was the service manager for the repair shop.... that helped a bit!

To Dutch. WOW on the truck repair!
Old 03-17-2023, 06:30 PM   #5
1wayhighway
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30465
Whew! We have had some adventures but nothing quite like that. Lord willing we won't have to face anything like that but your stories remind us that you just have to take it in stride and make the best of it.

Thanks for sharing.

2022 3500 GMC Duramax
2022 3121 Montana
1wayhighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 06:43 PM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I remembered what that "thing" that broke on the truck was in the post above. It was a Turbo Charger. I had no idea the cab would have to separated from the frame like that. It is truly shocking when you see that and it's YOUR truck. I kept rubbing my eyes asking myself, "Is that REALLY???? MY truck???"
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 08:18 PM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Yeah, shocking to actually see it. But it was designed that way to simplify that kind of repair.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 10:01 AM   #8
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
I hope you get back on the road quickly Jeff and Sandy. Your trip sounds like one we had last year. We made it to the campsite, but could not leave for an additional week, due to the main hydraulic pump on the trailer going out. A costly repair, but we made the best of the extra time together my wife and I had.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 11:24 AM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Last year, on our way to our 3 month tour of AZ, we lost a wheel bearing and wheel (which severed hydraulic lines) outside Los Banos, CA. We manged to get the RV to a local dealer who said it would take a least a month to get a replacement axle (the shortages were still present). Fortunately, we were only about 200 miles from home, so we unloaded 3 months of clothes, food and supplies from the RV into the truck and went home.

The timing couldn't have been better as we both come down with Covid (minor symptoms) the next day. The repair shop called two weeks later saying the RV was repaired. We were recovered and loaded everything back into the truck and left the next morning to resume our travel.

Not the way we had planned but it all worked out for the good.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 12:05 PM   #10
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
I new there would be some good stories. Probably lots more out there. Looks like we're staying put until Thursday...putting us 1 week behind our schedule. Oh well, experienced RVers need to know how to adapt. We're enjoying our longer stay in Bend, OR and have a plan to catch ourselves up to our schedule.

We're camping and enjoying the journey. That's always the plan
Old 03-19-2023, 09:38 AM   #11
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
Sun Outdoors RV Park, use to be Crown Villa Resort. Very nice place.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:40 AM   #12
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
My worst time was coming down the mountains on I70 toward Breckenridge. Now that long stretch is downhill, so not really working the engine that hard. About a mile or less from the rest stop by town, it sounded like a shotgun went off under the hood. Lost most power. So immediately pulled off into the rest area overlooking a lake and nice area.

Worst news - it was something like July 2 with the 4th on Sunday, I think. We unhitched to see if truck could move and it seemed kinda ok. With the holidays, I called a tow service and he said he was on another call headed to Grand Junction, I think it was. The service called every RV Park within 30 miles and no one had a site open! After sitting on our lawn chairs under the overhang for 4-5 hours (with wife getting nervous as a wild fire was slowly making it's way toward us!). I set it up to get the truck towed into town to a repair place. They were booked until Monday, so it would be 4 or 5 days to fix. So I booked the last room at a motel at $100 a night.

I left the rig at the rest stop (after calling highway patrol - they said I had 2 days but he wouldn't leave it that long!). Drove to the repair place sputtering, etc. Oh by the way, under the hood a 6 inch tube running into the engine was just laying there unattached on one end. (Turbo hose) Got about 3 miles from shop and engine was giving out so pulled into a parking area for a trail.
Tow showed up maybe 5 pm (can't remember) and went to shop where we just left it, I believe. Now I have no car and am 7 miles to the motel! Took Uber for $50 and spent the night.

Oh, I totally forgot - the previous day had tooth ache and dentist said I needed a root canal! Had planned on it in Estes Park, our next campground. Dentist gave me a antibiotic and on the Uber to the motel, it fell out of wife's purse! Called dentist in Aspen and she sent another prescription to Walgreens nearby. Next day we walked to Walgreens around 11 and went across the street to eat.

Got a call from the shop - they had a cancellation and the truck was done. Good news, - bad news I had already canceled the Estes Park reservation and had a non-refundable motel reservation.

Good news - right across from the shop was a 'overflow' parking lot from the city. Cheap - $5-10 a night and others had parked campers in it, so back to the rest area (rig hadn't been stolen!) and pulled it into this lot.
Monday, finally on the way again and had my root canal done over in Loveland, which is another LONG story so I won't bore you anymore.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 10:05 AM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have often said carry an extra set of turbo hoses and clamps with you. These turbos can supply 20 pounds or more boost. That is a lot of pressure trying to pull the hoses apart. Then you add a little oil to the mix and problems tend to happen. A set of aftermarket hoses aren’t that expensive. The time I didn’t have mine with me is the time I had a hose blow off. Lesson learned.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 11:55 AM   #14
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I have often said carry an extra set of turbo hoses and clamps with you. These turbos can supply 20 pounds or more boost. That is a lot of pressure trying to pull the hoses apart. Then you add a little oil to the mix and problems tend to happen. A set of aftermarket hoses aren’t that expensive. The time I didn’t have mine with me is the time I had a hose blow off. Lesson learned.
Lynwood
All the shop did was put what appeared to be giant radiator clamps on it! Which reminds me, I need to check if they are still tight!!!!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
Old 03-19-2023, 12:16 PM   #15
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
All the shop did was put what appeared to be giant radiator clamps on it! Which reminds me, I need to check if they are still tight!!!!
I’m sure that’s all they did. The problem is the hoses get oil on them which seeps under them and then the hose gradually pulls out under the clamp and pops off when you are under high pressure and heat. If you have a set of hoses and clamps with you you can be back on the road as quickly as as you or someone else can replace them. I had the same thing happen when I was 50 miles from the nearest Ford dealer. I got lucky a young man came out to help and brought his family after work.
Lynwood
Old 03-19-2023, 12:35 PM   #16
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Lynwood, do you have something to clean off the places where the hose attaches? Would think you need to do that to get a good seal. Wondering for my reference. Thanks

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
Old 03-19-2023, 01:39 PM   #17
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
Lynwood, do you have something to clean off the places where the hose attaches? Would think you need to do that to get a good seal. Wondering for my reference. Thanks
Cleaning doesn’t do much good. The oil gets in the hose and remains slick. Check into aftermarket hoses. They are much thicker than OEM. Being thicker they probably transmit more vibrations to the truck. Turbo hoses usually can’t be bought at any place except the dealer and are prone to failure and can be replaced on the go. That’s why I carry them with me
Lynwood
Old 03-19-2023, 01:40 PM   #18
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Jeff & Sandi, and word on your truck?
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 03:32 PM   #19
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by 432bartman View Post
Jeff & Sandi, and word on your truck?
Thanks for checking. Parts are on order…expected Tuesday. Could be done by end of day Wednesday…hope so. We’re tentatively planning to pull out Thursday.
Old 03-22-2023, 04:30 PM   #20
VagabondLove
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27665
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post

Our second shock: When we saw the truck in the shop!

WOW that is an eye-opener. I wonder if that is the new way to fix the innards of a truck? Genius, IMHO.
FlexArmor roof 2021, Starlink
VagabondLove is offline   Reply With Quote