Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2023, 10:02 AM   #1
Bakersfish
Established Member

M.O.C. #30197
Starlink Experience

I'm posting this as an informative post about my Starlink experience. We've had the Starlink RV plan for several months now. Our home is in NW Arkansas and we are currently in Mesa, Arizona and have been for 3 months. I have also just been informed that Starlink is raising the price on their RV package from $135 to $150 per month. My antenna has a very clear view of the sky and my router is in direct line of my TV in the RV and about 25' away. On the rear TV, the router is right next to the TV. I am also aware that Starlink will give priority to residential users in the area where the RV user is attempting to connect. (Maybe that's what's happening but I can't be sure.)

We cannot stream Sling TV without having it buffer several times during a half hour show. At times, the TV goes completely black and it takes 30 seconds to a minute for the TV to return to the program. The same thing happens when we stream Paramount +. These are the only 2 services we stream on Starlink.

We have been able to use the internet to answer emails, handle banking and do research on the computer but the internet will cut out periodically and buffer before the device returns to what you were doing. We do not run a business as we are retired.

We decided to use Starlink so we had internet security while paying our bills and getting information ready to file taxes. We also wanted to use it to stream our TV services but it's clearly inefficient for that.

I'm not much of a techie but the speeds I'm getting on Starlink are: 112 Mbps/4.0 Mbps upload and 57ms Latency. That is according to the Starlink app on my phone.

I am not trying to bash Starlink. This post is meant to inform other RVers of the true experience we have with this service. With Starlink, you can pause your service at the end of your service period which is nice. We are starting to wonder if the new $150 per month price is worth it for the service we're receiving.

Bakersfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 10:30 AM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Very helpful. Thanks.
Starlink has most of the East on a waitlist including Arkansas according to their web site.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 01:41 PM   #3
LeftOverParts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32230
We’ve had SL RV for about 8 months now. Use it off and on - primarily where we know there is spotty (1-2 bars) or no cell service and think it’s great.

The throttling at certain times near urban areas should reduce after more satellites of the new, faster models are added. We’ve occasionally had short 5-10 sec gaps from buffering but it hasn’t been big problem.

Don’t like the price increase but think it’s a good value over the course of a year the way we use it for internet and streaming.
LeftOverParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 02:02 PM   #4
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Very helpful. Thanks.
Starlink has most of the East on a waitlist including Arkansas according to their web site.
Lynwood
Waitlist for residential service. RV works but can be deprioritized based on congestion.
I’ve used our starlink from Maine to Michigan and it works well. In urban areas it can be slow and there is some buffering at times. At the same time we also have a TMobile Home Gateway that works assuming the cell tower isn’t congested and I can get a signal. Still have some buffering with TMobile as well at times. Both are leaps and bounds better than any campground WiFi.
bleedmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 03:45 PM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We got StarLink RV several months ago. No issues streaming so far from home. Doing an install to the camper with Eero mesh router. I have a separate post on that. We’ll see how it does going to Alaska.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 03:58 PM   #6
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I think maybe the key here is the comment about slow down in urban areas. I used it an an RV park outside Lander, Wy. They had just installed and got it working the day before I arrived. Now, admittedly they only had about 20 sites, so a small number of users. However, it was blazingly fast! As good as my home which has cable and 150 MBS speed.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 05:26 PM   #7
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
We started using Starlink RV last July and used it multple times in every state we crossed from Washington to Virginia with no issues. From Virginia we traveled thru NC, SC, GA, AL, MS, LA and TX. The only place we had issues was 20 miles north of Atlanta and it kept telling us "obstructions" while boondocking in an open field that had no trees. In TX it worked well as it did in NM and AZ. Spent lots of time boondocking north of Quartzsite and in the Yuma area as well. On our trip home from Blythe to Redding, CA it worked very well as it did thru OR and onto Long Beach, WA. After Long Beach we drove straight to Lynden and are still using while parked along side our home. I don't like the monthly cost increase but as we must have an internet connection for my wife's employment to teach remotely I'll just accept it as another cost in life.
Joint Venture II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 01:40 PM   #8
HalH
Established Member

M.O.C. #26651
I am not a tech savvy guy either but I would think at 112 mbps you would have no problems. Have you tried running one of the online internet speed tests, rather than the Starlink app, to see what that says about your transmission rates?

I only comment because we are on satellite internet in rural Texas, where 10 mbps is a good day. We stream and, yes, there is some buffering, but that's at 1/10th of what you believe you're getting. Just a thought. Good luck!
HalH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 02:41 PM   #9
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
We are out in the sticks (not too far from HalH). Our internet is wireless (not satellite) with the broadcast tower just over a mile away. We routinely get just under 10 for downloads (3.5 for uploads) and we can stream all day long with no issues.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 05:19 PM   #10
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
We still are using Dish and as a backup we stream with AT&T they have worked great.
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 07:25 PM   #11
KirkFess
Established Member

M.O.C. #19092
Starlink

I live in a remote area of North Carolina where I have to use satellite internet. The Starlink has been great at my home for the past year ghat I have had it. We caa a n stream on 2 tv’s at the same time. I have not tried it while traveling with our RV. Use my phone as a hotspot.
KirkFess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 04:52 AM   #12
Butch & Kathy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18980
Check the Starlink coverage map. Some of Arizona is still on the a “waitlist”. Looks like Mesa is in the waitlist.

https://www.starlink.com/map
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5454807F-4BF9-42C5-B2CA-E97C26AF17C5.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	14214  
Butch & Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 06:23 AM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
My usual download speed through my Version IPhone between 75 and 80. Though our new business MIFI is set at 10 but we have 300 G per month.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 09:13 AM   #14
RicknTee
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakersfish View Post
I'm posting this as an informative post about my Starlink experience. We've had the Starlink RV plan for several months now. Our home is in NW Arkansas and we are currently in Mesa, Arizona and have been for 3 months. I have also just been informed that Starlink is raising the price on their RV package from $135 to $150 per month. My antenna has a very clear view of the sky and my router is in direct line of my TV in the RV and about 25' away. On the rear TV, the router is right next to the TV. I am also aware that Starlink will give priority to residential users in the area where the RV user is attempting to connect. (Maybe that's what's happening but I can't be sure.)

We cannot stream Sling TV without having it buffer several times during a half hour show. At times, the TV goes completely black and it takes 30 seconds to a minute for the TV to return to the program. The same thing happens when we stream Paramount +. These are the only 2 services we stream on Starlink.

We have been able to use the internet to answer emails, handle banking and do research on the computer but the internet will cut out periodically and buffer before the device returns to what you were doing. We do not run a business as we are retired.

We decided to use Starlink so we had internet security while paying our bills and getting information ready to file taxes. We also wanted to use it to stream our TV services but it's clearly inefficient for that.

I'm not much of a techie but the speeds I'm getting on Starlink are: 112 Mbps/4.0 Mbps upload and 57ms Latency. That is according to the Starlink app on my phone.

I am not trying to bash Starlink. This post is meant to inform other RVers of the true experience we have with this service. With Starlink, you can pause your service at the end of your service period which is nice. We are starting to wonder if the new $150 per month price is worth it for the service we're receiving.
I've had issues with streaming at my home with the cable services 1GB. I found that if you use something external, such as a firestick, to access your streaming, i.e, You TubeTV, Amazon Video, etc.. there is a lag and we get buffering. I purchased a new LG LED Smart TV and it has those programs as apps within the TV, No more buffering.
RicknTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 10:17 AM   #15
ColoradoKampers
Established Member

M.O.C. #23213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakersfish View Post
I'm posting this as an informative post about my Starlink experience. We've had the Starlink RV plan for several months now. Our home is in NW Arkansas and we are currently in Mesa, Arizona and have been for 3 months.
I took delivery of a new Starlink/RV system in mid-February and used it just east of you in Apache Junction. Like you, good view of the sky with no noted obstructions on the app. I also saw about 100Mb max download, but some periods, especially in the evenings, of downloads closer to 20Mb. However, my streaming experience was good. I’m using a new Roku 4K streaming stick. I don’t use Sling TV, but had good success with Paramount+ and other streaming services. Like Rick, I’m wondering if it’s the actual streaming device you’re using. Maybe not a great WiFi radio, or not enough onboard buffer to prevent pausing. And, as Butch noted, the Phoenix metro area is in “Expanding in 2023” status.
Days in the RV - 2020:181; 2021:167; 2022:161; 2023:173
ColoradoKampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 11:03 AM   #16
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
OP seems to be doing no better than I do using a Visible hot spot.
Bought one of their cheaper phones for $50 and dedicated it to hot spot use. Service is only $25 per month with unlimited data and no throttling. I generally get 10 to 20 mbs, but it sometimes drops to around 3-5. I seldom get buffering though I notice I'll more likely get it on Hulu than any other streaming service. We usually stream DirectTV Stream, Acorn, Netflix, Hulu, and Prime. If you're getting 120 mbs, I'd think it's more likely an issue with Sling unless your data link is dropping out momentarily.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 08:17 PM   #17
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
I've been using a T-Mobile data plan through my Winegard gateway for about 6 months. Starting to get frustrated as it's being throttled during peak times. After several hours on the phone I was told that they are partnered with AT&T for areas that coverage is spotty. I thought we ditched AT&T When on AT&T they provide 2G.... .9 Gb speed at peak times. We're on the CA coast for god sake. Bad coverage?

I was told to look at Starlink because you pay as you go. So $150 a month is great since we don't full time. Now I hear they throttle as well? Any input would be greatly appreciated. If I make another craptacular purchase DW is going to kill me
Old 07-18-2023, 08:30 PM   #18
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I’ve seen about 60 mbps in Alaska for a low. We are streaming in two Montanas off of my StarLink via the Eero Router. Right now in Homer, Alaska we are around 60 mbps which is much better than 0. Last year at rally, T-Mobile was non-existent. Most places in Alaska StarLink is the only option. Also, throttling is not a correct term. They move you to the lowest priority as an RV customer. That may mean your speed is lower than residential customer, but we have not had an issue. Our home base is wait listed, so even there we are getting around 80-120 mbps. Throttling means they drop you to a much lower throughput once you hit a specific threshold. StarLink is just managing throughput while they build out their satellite and ground station networks. At least that is our experience so far.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 11:38 PM   #19
LeftOverParts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #32230
Ditto on great experience with RV Starlink. We've been to spots with no cell or 1 bar of Verizon or ATT cell coverage and get up to 120 mbps via Starlink. Near larger, urban areas you can get deprioritized as mentioned - seen speeds down to 25 mbps.

To stream, helps to have a newer, smart TV.

It's amazing how often SpaceX launches Starlink satellites and they now have higher capacity units. Seeing more and more Starlink dishes at various campgrounds.
LeftOverParts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 07:53 AM   #20
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Thanks for this info. How does billing work? Do you prepay monthly? Is your data usage based on a calendar month or is it based on usage? Meaning if I only use it 2 weeks in July and shut it off and then turn it on in August for 2 weeks, is that a month of usage? To clarify, how does pay as you go work? We go out about ever 3 weeks and rarely exceed 50gig a month.