Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2008, 10:59 AM   #1
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Directv and access to local channels on the road

On another thread someone said "We have DirectTV and have the local channels. When we get to a new campground, we call DirectTV, tell them the ZIP code and get the local channels for that area.". I have Directv and local channels at my stick home but when I travel I was told by Directv that I can't get local channels and that I should instead sign up for their national access to local channels in New York and Los Angeles. Unfortunately I don't care about NY and LA, especially when I am on the road. How do you all access local channels with Directv? Thanks for your help. John Weber

gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:25 AM   #2
bkirk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8193
If you have local channels on your home account, then you can get your home local channels on the road. I have had directv for years and never had a problem. I don't call them and request any changes to my package though, that might be the problem. Im not a full timer so I like seeing whats going on at home when I'm gone.
bkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Unless something has changed in the past year and a half, local channels are restricted to about a 50 mile radius of your home area. Once out of that area the signal is too weak (localized tranmitter is what I was told)...Now, that said, no practical experience on this -- only what I've read and been told by the installer. I do know that we could not get Topeka channels in Albuquerque last October / November but that was with Dish, not Direct TV.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
We have local channels on Dish in the Northern Calif area, Bay area, Sac, East Bay, South Bay. The minute we got down to LA, Az, etc. we didn't get them. I called and was told that we had to get another account and get NY or LA package. I called Direct to see what options they had. They said the same thing, I needed a second subscription and could only get NY or LA out of the area. We don't full time either...I was trying to piggy back onto my home account. Apparently from what I have read, Dish got into FCC problems...Direct has gotten much more strict with new accounts.
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:33 PM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We have direct TV. They do not know we are full timing, left our old address on. We can get the major LA channels where ever we are. Just can't get the other locals. However, we do get the other locals in AZ. We do not have the west package. LA was local for us at the stick house.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 03:19 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes you can..we do it all the time..Never...NEVER mention the word RV when talking to customer service.We tell them we are in our "winter Home" in Orlando or where ever.. give the the address of the park you are in. Do not Say Joe Blow xyz RV Park. Just Joe blow and the address of the park. They will change your service address and your billing address and you will instantly have the local channels. When you return home tell them you have returned to your "summer Residence" and your local channels will be back. Repeat..NEVER>>NEVER>>NEVER mention the word RV or RV Park or anything that might hint to the fact that you may be in a RV. If the person you are talkin to says it can't be done...Say thank you..hang up..re dial..and talk to another person.

You know the commerical..Just leave your antenna and call us when you get to your new address..That is what you are doing.. but don't tell them your new address IS IN A RV....

The satellites use a spot beam to allocate local channels which will explain why you may get your local channels 100' of miles away

http://www.tivofan.com/directv/channels.html
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:15 PM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Rich's technique works well but be aware of two issues:
  • Your billing address is changed. This implies you will be in one spot for a significant period
  • Any boxes (and people watching them) at home will lose access to your "home" local channels while you are at your "Winter Home"

This may or may not be a problem for you. For us, it was. We move around too much!

Perhaps you should look at this a different way. Have Direct (or Dish) install their service in your RV and then move the boxes to the house.

Direct will give you up to four boxes - get all you need. When Direct installs in a RV, you get the local channels for the installation area (which is why you want to do this at home). Apply for the Distant Network Stations (DNS) exemption for the RV (and all of the boxes installed there). With this you get the NY and LA network stations (either one or both) for an additional fee(s). Now you have the best of both worlds. As you travel, you get your "local" channels as long as you are within the spot beam, and the Network feeds for when you are not (actually all the time). You will soon discover the value of recording the East feed while in Pacific or Mountain time and watching it at a reasonable time (Leno and Letterman for instance) or bypassing the commercials on shows you regularly watch. When you are at home, you have your "local" channels and the E/W feeds. Just move the boxes from the RV to the house (unless you opt'd for extras).

You may want to get an extra satellite dish and permanently mount it at home particularly if you have boxes (and people) left behind. Then cancel your existing TV service.

As they say in the commercial: "a couple of $ for this, a couple of $ for that - not having to call the 800 number in India - priceless!"

Carl

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:51 PM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I guess I'm just too honest. When I first contracted with Direct it was in WA state. I told them I was travelling and they offered me the East and West coast feeds AFTER I submitted the waiver. I told them my permanent address was in Alaska, they said they could not offer local service unless I had home service there, which, of course, since I am travelling and don't live in Alaska any more was not an option. SO I have 250 channels along with East and West coast feeds and no local channels from anywhere. GO FIGURE!!!!!! Any Advice???????
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:00 PM   #9
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Great thread, thanks for the posts. My question is can I take my HD/DVR receiver with me and receive a picture and be able to record with a single LNB?
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:08 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Changing the billing address and service address has never been a problem. We do it routinely. The late shows are on at the regular time for the time zones you are in. in Ohio they came in at 11PM..In Az they came on at 11PM. In our case there are no boxes left at home but that is a good point as if there were they would be receiving the Orlando local channels. We pay the same cost Ohio ,Florida, where ever. Both methods work well. It may have changed but when we checked on the Rv installation with the E/W feeds it was very pricey. We will have to check again.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:11 PM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
So how much does it cost for the west or east feed?
Happy trails.....................
Old 03-24-2008, 06:27 PM   #12
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Parrothead, costs about $11 a month. You get both. We really like having both and TIVO.

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:54 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Just to compare..we have the Directtv Choice Extra, Local channels included with two receivers...62.98 per month... Is that a lot more or a lot less than the RV installation with the East/West feeds????
Old 03-25-2008, 01:02 PM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Richfaa, I pay $108.00/mo for Direct TV. That is the Premium package (250 channels), High Def, and East/West coast feeds. I DO NOT GET ANY LOCAL CHANNELS other than the New York and LA major networks. I usuall get local with batwing, if I really want to try...... Hope this helps with your question.....
Old 03-25-2008, 03:26 PM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The packages you and I have are no longer listed on the site. The premimum package is listed at 104.99 and the package i have is not listed at all. The package that I do have list 200 channels and 68 XM..they are always changing the packages..
Old 03-25-2008, 03:40 PM   #16
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I think they do that to keep folks from comparing rates. Kinda cheesy if you ask me......
Old 03-25-2008, 06:15 PM   #17
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DHenry

Great thread, thanks for the posts. My question is can I take my HD/DVR receiver with me and receive a picture and be able to record with a single LNB?
Doug: I can't speak to the HD/DVR, I have the regular DVR for my old style analog TVs. I have a dual LNB (they are relatively inexpensive - something < $25) feeding the DVR so you can have two "live" events occurring at one time. I suspect with a single LNB you only get one "live" activity. So you could record one show and watch a previously recorded at the same time?

Carl

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:26 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Great information here.. We are not big TV watchers. We do not pre record programs but we will have to switch over to HD soon. We do watch the news on a daily basis and channels like the History, Discover, Science and Si Fi chan, TMC chan. The TV is off way more than it is on. There are two or three network series that Helen likes to watch. If we could choose the sat chan we wanted there would not be more than 10 or so.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:11 AM   #19
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
A new option is available. The local "Over the Air" stations will move to digital broadcasts by 2/2008. Most of the stations are already broadcasting the digital signal. If you have a digital TV today, contains a digital tuner, not the analog tuner, you can receive these broadcasts today. If you have an older tv, like me, apply for the coupons from the govt. These are for $40 each and you can apply for up to 2. I installed these in the Tana, one for each TV.
When I set up in a new location, I set up the Direct TV satellite and the new STBs are installed. Now you can receive the satellite channels and receive the local channels from the area you are camping. There is no additonal monthly costs from Direct TV.
The digital broadcast channels signal is very very clear and many cases you will receive more channels than in the past plus if the local broadcaster is broadcasting secondary channels, these as well.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:34 AM   #20
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Bob
Is this a newer type receiver/dish? We have one digital/LCD TV and our receivers are several years old. I'm not sure I understood how the Direct is giving you the local channels. What are STB's? I probably know but CRS has me this morning.
Happy trails...........................