Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2006, 02:06 PM   #1
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
directv local channels

After getting directv installed in my 3400rl, and using it for a month, they now tell me I cannot get local channels if I only have directv in an rv that travels about. Funny, I was getting locals at three locations before they told me this. I clearly told the sales person the only reason I wanted directv was so I could get local channels when moving from place to place and off air service is adequate.

When i inquired as to why I was not told this in the beginning, they said I must have misinformed the salesperson. No way could it have been their fault. At that point my sailors vocabulary was starting to come out so I hung up to cool off. Now they tell me I cannot cancel my contract cause it was obviously my fault and directv representatives don't mislead (read lie) to customers.

Has anyone else had this problem and is there anylegal recourse?

RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 04:07 PM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Joe-
You were misinformed by the sales person. You have the same problem that I do with Dish Network. The satellite companies do a thing called "Spot Beaming" for the local stations. In my case, my locals come from Houston and I lose the Houston channels somewhere around 300 miles from Houston, to the north at the Texas/Oklahoma border, to the east around Lafayette, La. and to the west about 100 miles west of San Antonio.

It will not be YOUR locals, but you can have Direct set you up with an "East Coast Feed" out of New York and you will be able to receive the major networks-ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, or if you venture all the way to the West Coast, you can switch over and get the feeds from Los Angeles. I have read posts from some FTers and this is the option they prefer. Others, when setting up in an area for an extended time have the company give them the locals for the area they are in.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 04:16 PM   #3
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
Radhazjoe, I am a fulltimer and have had directv for years. You can sign an agreement for RV service only and get the network feeds, both east and west. This will give you ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX. Local channels will be up to your local company or possibly where you have your account addressed.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:24 PM   #4
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Had a most unpleasant similar experience last week. We are full timers, and were in CA for almost 6 months due to work stuff..when we got there, I called Direct Tv and discussed the local channel option. "Sure, no problem...just change your billing address to the CA address" We did, and for about $5 month, we got the local LA channels, including PBS and lots more, for 6 months. He also told us that all we had to do was change the billing address as we traveled, and we could get "local" channels based on our "new" biling address. We get our DTV bil;ling statement via Internet anyhow, and pay the same way, so no big deal as to the "address"

Came to the Phoenix area in Feb...called DTV and said "here is my new billing address. Switch the local channels to Phoenix, por favor" No way, says she....I'm registered with them as an RV installation, and you can only have the local channels from your RV REGISTRATION LOCATION. FCC Regulation!" Now, Sioux Falls SD "spot" broadcasts won't get to the Phoenix area, for sure. So, we had a good deal for 6 months because one of their reps was a "good guy" and let us do it. The one who didn't let us extend it to Phoenix was correct....but it shouldn't be that way..FCC needs to change that rule....serves no legit purpose.

On the good side, we use, and really like, the simultaneous East Coast / West Coast feeds. Great deal..we can watch the major network stuff early or late, our choice. Watch the same program twice, if you want to! Local stuff comes via rooftop antenna or local RV park cable, if they have it, so you usually have a choice of three differnt times to catch your shows each day/evening, assuming you aren't on either Coast.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:49 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are watching this thread with interest.We have been using Direct Tv for years and understand the spot beam thing for local channels.Our local channels "go away" about 250/300 miles from home in any direction. However , where ever we have been we can pick up the local area channels/networks via the Tv antenna, ABC,CBS, NBC,Fox so I don't understand the East Coast /west coast feeds.Why pay for the network feeds when you can pick them up via the Tv antenna....What am I missing here???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 02:47 AM   #6
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I have had Direct TV with locals for quite a few years. I can get my local Tampa channels up to the Ocala area. But I can go all the way to east coast of Florida and get the locals.

I usually have good luck using my outside antenna for locals if they are within range.

It must have been your salesperson because Direct TV told me the way it is upfront. I am also very satisfied with the service and they appear to treat me pretty good. I just had a receiver quit on me and they shipped a new one free of charge. I do not have their insurance so I was happy with it.

I think also Dish and DTV are not permitted to transmit your locals out of area. So I think it is beyond their control. I think each local area wants you to watch their advertising or something like that.

lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 02:51 AM   #7
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Rich-
The reason for the East/West Coast feeds is you are not always in an area where you can pick them up via the trailer antenna. Another advantage is the reception may be marginal and picture would not be clear as what you would receive via the dish.

It is not a problem right now but in a couple years reception from your bat-wing antenna (analog) is going away otherwise you will have to have a converter for your television, therefore the need for the satellite to provide the major networks.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 03:14 AM   #8
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Rich: Just as Charlie said above. Often, the CGs are well outside good coverage via the rooftop antenna, or in a valley or other obstructed area. DTV gives good picture quality no mtter where you are.

Plus, the big advantage is the ability to decide when you want to watch a particular show. 3 hrs difference in time. You can watch Leno before Boston Legal if you want to or stay out late at dinner and know you can catch the 8PM programming at 11 PM. And, if you happen to be an East Coaster or West Coaster, you may care more about the area news on one or the other "feeds" You get the New York newscasts as well as just the network programs via the East Coast feed, likewise the LA news via the West Coast feed. Gives you "choices". I'm not sure which one you get without the optional sevice...I seem to remember that it is East Coast....but that may be dependent on your location...don't remember.

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 04:04 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ok all good things to consider..We are not that big of Tv watchers and we have been in CG's were the local reception was not all that good.We have gone days without ever turning on the TV , as long as I have the Discovery, science and History channels I am happy..But it is all food for thought.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 11:45 AM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Wow,
I am glad I found this thread. I have been thinking of buying the KVH TracVision dome for the roof and going with DirectTV. I had no idea how any of that stuff worked. I now have many, many questions for the direct tv folks. I just love having knowledge while talking to some of these companies, nothing I hate more than being taken for a ride by some sales person.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 04:58 PM   #11
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
I am with Dish Network and when we are RVing I take a receiver from the house with me and use a tripod mounted dish. We live in the Atlanta broadcast area so our local channels are out of Atlanta. With Dishnetwork the Atlanta feed is not spot beamed but is beamed nationally (CONUS) so we get our home channels no matter where we are. This is true for folks who live in NY or L.A. as well. Works out good for us.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 01:04 AM   #12
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I didn't know that about Dish. I thought they were under the same restrictions as DTV. May revise my thinking a little and consider Dish in the future.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 03:44 PM   #13
Montana_5626

M.O.C. #5626
I have dish network and get local channels in the Knoxville TN area
I spend the winter in Tarpon Springs FL(near Clearwater). The first time I went down I plugged in my receiver and lo and behold there was good old K town. For the next ttwo years I have been getting my home channels in FL. I called Dish and asked how far
away I could get my locals and they said about 150 miles. Didn't tell them I was 700 miles away.
Montana_5626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 04:04 PM   #14
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Since we still have a stick house, we just use that address. When we were in Northern California working for several years, we received the local (LA) channels in the Bay Area just like we get at home. We were in Petaluma and that is over 500 miles from Hemet.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 03:47 PM   #15
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
what extra do you need for local. was under impression differant antenna was needed. my box is only year o;d>

ken
keham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 04:03 PM   #16
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
It seems that it is different for different areas, here in northern Ill they tell me I have to have two dishes because the locals for this area are on a different satelite. A little too much trouble just to use tivo on them.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 05:32 PM   #17
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Joe I was told the same thing. Like you I was upset didn't help.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 12:46 AM   #18
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
This is a multi-level issue and we all have varying degrees of differences in our situations, i.e., Dish Netowrk vs Direct TV, fulltimers or part-timers,
Direct TV account only in our RV or Direct TV at home also used in the RV. Two receiver boxes at home.
Local feeds vs local channels from our "hometown"
And I think the provider such as DirectWay makes a difference...

I copied this from Direct TV's website

Distant Network Service (Residential Accounts Only)

We're pleased to offer our mobile customers DNS (distant network service) programming of ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC stations from New York and Los Angeles (eight channels). One national PBS service may also be available, depending upon your location.

Eligibility for DNS
Only residential accounts are eligible for DNS; commercial accounts do not qualify. According to federal regulations, we may offer DNS without screening for address eligibility only to specific types of recreational vehicles and commercial trucks. Boats and other marine vessels do not qualify for this special consideration. For definitions of eligible vehicles, please see the FCC website (item #18 of the Satellite Home Viewer Improvement Act Fact Sheet).

Before we can add the DNS networks to your DIRECTV® programming, federal law requires that you send us the following information:

Photocopy of your vehicle registration.
This Mobile Vehicle Affidavit Declaration of Intent form (please print and complete).
Photocopy of commercial driver's license (if you're requesting service for a commercial vehicle such as a tractor trailer).

Here's what you need to know before you send us this information:

To take advantage of some DIRECTV services, you must keep your DIRECTV® Receiver continuously connected to a land-based phone line. Since this isn't possible while your receiver is in your vehicle, you won't have access to these services:

All professional and college sports subscriptions, such as NFL SUNDAY TICKET™, NBA LEAGUE PASS, MLB EXTRA INNINGSSM and NHL® CENTER ICE®.
Your local regional sports network, if you subscribe to a TOTAL CHOICE® package or the SPORTS Pack.
Ordering pay per view movies by remote control.

When you return the Declaration of Intent form, we will review your account for these services. If you currently have any sports subscriptions, you will no longer be able to watch them from the receiver in your mobile vehicle. The sports and other programming you watch on receivers in your permanent residence will not change.

However, if your permanent residence account lists more than one receiver and one of these is located in your vehicle, you will no longer be able to "mirror" the services on the additional receiver in your vehicle. We will need to charge you the full monthly programming package price for this additional receiver, instead of the $4.99 a month programming mirroring fee you may be paying currently.

It says to me that if I was fulltiming, I can sign the form and get east or west coast feeds. But if I am a part-timer and have an account at my house with a second receiver and just bring the box and a second dish with me, that they may eliminate my priviledge to have a second box mirroring my first box at my house for $4.99 and possibly start to charge me the full amount.

Who knows if I might be able to explain to them that no one was at home while we were on the road for 8 months.

I too am trying to figure this out so if anyone has additional input, bring it please.

virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 05:38 AM   #19
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We just don't tell them we are on the road. This only works if you have a stick house. We only pay the $4.99 for the second receiver which we use at home and also when we take the DirecTV with us. We can get the local LA channels at their assigned numbers but also get NBC and ABC up on a higher number (500 something). So far we have not used it when we are farther away from home. We check out the campgrounds we are going to for cable and don't take DirecTV if there is cable. However, we are finding the cable at many CG is not that great. If there is a boxing match coming up, then DirecTV goes with us. We have never connected ours to a phone line. If we want a pay per view event, we order on line or by phone. Like anything else, I think it depends who you get on the other end when dealing with customer service. In the five years we've had it, we only got one bad guy, the rest have been great.
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 01:52 PM   #20
tennisdg
Established Member

M.O.C. #5058
i just got off the phone with direct tv and ive sent them two regis. papers the second i told them not to lose it, we'll guess what they said they never received it. so i immediately told them i'm going to talk to dish tomorrow. and they didn't seem to care.
tennisdg is offline   Reply With Quote