Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2024, 06:08 AM   #1
GetGone
Established Member

M.O.C. #32781
Wind and Slide-out Toppers

We've been living full-time/traveling in our Monty for about 6 months now. It has 5 slideouts with each one having a slideout topper. I know people camp in very open, flat areas with lots of wind like for example on the coast. Are we over worrying about the wind and especially the wind gust causing damage? Other than pulling the slides in, is there anything that can be done to ensure no damage will occur to the toppers?

GetGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 06:24 AM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
It's for this very reason I opted not to have toppers.

Reading multiple forums over many years, the best solution is to place beach balls under the toppers to remove any slack in the fabric and hold them tight.

Every comment I've ever read (that my disclaimer) .... say the wind is no problem. Others say they get use to hearing the flapping on the roof of the slides.

But, logic says, the toppers will do much, much better than an awning will. Toppers are anchored to the side of the trailer, same as an awning. But, the other end is also attached solid to the end of the slide, unlike an awning that is attached to a roller attached to arms that can get caught in the wind and bend up the arms, causing the fabric to rip and tear. A slide topper is anchored at both ends, it can't pull anything up with it. If the wind is THAT strong (like tornado force), then the topper may rip, but if that happens ... the entire camper will probably be blown away anyway!

Based on the experience of others, beach balls is the easiest way to keep them from flapping in wind.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 08:04 AM   #3
dhuhn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17176
Send a message via MSN to dhuhn
I've had slide toppers for over 6 years been in a lot of windy conditions sure you hear them flap from time to time, but I've have never had one damaged from the wind. I don't worry about it. The toppers can take a lot of wind, most the time it sounds worse than it is.

Dan & Sandy Huhn
2016 Montana 3720 2015 Chevy 3500 SWD Duro Max
Prev 2012 High Country 313RE 2012 Chevy 2500 DMax
dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 08:27 AM   #4
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
https://www.rossrvinnovations.info/p...upport-system/
Old 01-28-2024, 01:13 PM   #5
Robinpterp

M.O.C. #21939
No Issues

We have a 2018 Montana with 6 slides and toppers. We have been on a seasonal site for the past 5 years and the slides are out 8 months of the year in a breezy coastal area under pine trees. Other than a bit of flapping in really gusty winds, we have had no issues at all. We will never have slides without toppers.
Robinpterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 02:30 PM   #6
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
Mine make a little noise when it’s really windy, but it seems only when the darn things are full of water because the topper rail isn’t mounted high enough up the trailer to provide adequate pitch to shed water. The center of the topper fills up with water and the ends get a little slack in them and flap.
Our current neighbor just traded his sob last week for a different sob and the very first thing I noticed when he brought his new pride and joy home last week was the nice pitch on the toppers…..Listening Keystone?
Even so, I wouldn’t be with out the toppers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CDC127C3-36CB-4AFA-8D67-1BCFF9CB3EEC.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	16382  
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 05:04 PM   #7
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
My wife and I should be a good source to directly answer your question. We live in Maryland and have camped at Assateague State Park for decades. It's a beautiful place but it is literally right on the ocean.
We have been through many nor'easters and several close hurricanes. Our current unit has four slides all with toppers. We've been in 60 to 75 mph winds multiple times and them Toppers make so much noise you think they're going to self-destruct. So far no visible damage however it is literally impossible to sleep in the camper with the slide out in high winds. In fact just this past September we left 5 days early because we couldn't stand it anymore.
The only real advice I can give you is if you commonly camp and wooded areas I would get them but if you normally camp in areas that are wide open with no trees they're not necessary
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 09:31 PM   #8
Voyageur

M.O.C. #31848
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
It's for this very reason I opted not to have toppers.

Reading multiple forums over many years, the best solution is to place beach balls under the toppers to remove any slack in the fabric and hold them tight.

Every comment I've ever read (that my disclaimer) .... say the wind is no problem. Others say they get use to hearing the flapping on the roof of the slides.

But, logic says, the toppers will do much, much better than an awning will. Toppers are anchored to the side of the trailer, same as an awning. But, the other end is also attached solid to the end of the slide, unlike an awning that is attached to a roller attached to arms that can get caught in the wind and bend up the arms, causing the fabric to rip and tear. A slide topper is anchored at both ends, it can't pull anything up with it. If the wind is THAT strong (like tornado force), then the topper may rip, but if that happens ... the entire camper will probably be blown away anyway!

Based on the experience of others, beach balls is the easiest way to keep them from flapping in wind.
I was tired of hearing the toppers flapping and ask my dealer service department to anchored the toppers higher on the sides of exterior walls. Since that time, no more wind noise on any slide toppers. It was done two years ago. My brother did the same on his Grand design and solved the problem too. The dealer left the old molding there since it is almost not viewable.
Voyageur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 10:43 PM   #9
Doug Brown
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10001
As long as you have the screws that hold the toper in place, you should be OK. The company to put mine in didn’t put those screws in and when a big wind came, they blew off. it was a pain in the butt, putting it back on without a ladder.
Doug Brown is offline   Reply With Quote