Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2020, 03:19 PM   #1
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Wires connected to battery??

The (hopefully) attached picture shows wires to the battery. Assume the white wire connected to negative is grounding the propane tanks. The second or middle red wire is power to everything except the res. frig. The left red wire is the frig and inverter. Is this correct?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05470(1).jpg
Views:	455
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	6631  

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 05:29 PM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
From left to right.
Big red wiring coming from the 80A breaker should go to your hydraulic system reversible solenoid.
Next big red wire going up may go to your inverter which runs your residential fridge.
Red wire going down probably goes to your circuit breaker/fuse panel and converter.
The next block:
Blue wire to electric brakes (emergency brake)
10 gauge red wire with the in line fuse goes to your solar.
10 gauge brown and white, hydraulic system controls? You can trace it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 12-vdc-wire-standard-keystone-rv.pdf (45.5 KB, 207 views)
Daryles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 06:50 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
From left to right.
Big red wiring coming from the 80A breaker should go to your hydraulic system reversible solenoid.
Next big red wire going up may go to your inverter which runs your residential fridge.
Red wire going down probably goes to your circuit breaker/fuse panel and converter.
The next block:
Blue wire to electric brakes (emergency brake)
10 gauge red wire with the in line fuse goes to your solar.
10 gauge brown and white, hydraulic system controls? You can trace it.
I believe the left red wire going through the physically larger black breaker goes to the Inverter which feeds the residential refer.

The second red wire going up feeds the hydraulic pump. The other red wire going down off of that stock 50 amp self resetting breaker feeds the fuse panel.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 07:39 PM   #4
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
I believe the left red wire going through the physically larger black breaker goes to the Inverter which feeds the residential refer.

The second red wire going up feeds the hydraulic pump. The other red wire going down off of that stock 50 amp self resetting breaker feeds the fuse panel.
I agree with Carl. That's the way our 2019 3811MS is, anyway.
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:38 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I am also with Carl. But just to add a little.
There are two red wires from the battery. The left one goes to the large black circuit breaker that then feeds the inverter for the fridge.
The right red wire from the battery goes to the smaller red plastic covered circuit breaker on the right with a large red jumper to the red plastic covered circuit breaker on the left.
The red (more like pink in the pic) wire going up from the left red breaker goes to the hydraulic pump.
The large red wire (again more like pink) going down from that left red breaker I would guess goes to the fuse panel, although from previous pic posting that large red wire is more commonly connected to the red breaker on the right.
Have never seen pics of any with that many small wires connected to the red breakers.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:02 AM   #6
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Thanks for the info. I am planning on going to the camper where it is stored w/o power to check inside for leaks and any other problem. Need to open and close the slides to do this. The two batteries are at my home on maintainer. Have a heavy duty jumper/battery pack for power and no need to carry the two batteries. Camper is one hour away. Just checking to see what wires need to be connected to the battery pack. Is there any need to connect the propane ground? Will make sure the tanks are turned off. The left red wire goes up to a cutoff and thought that was to the inverter and frig.

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 06-23-2020, 09:22 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
That cutoff switch is to disconnect power to the inverter for the fridge. You can turn off that switch to remove that amount of power going to the inverter while you are checking everything else.

I don't have any wires for grounding the propane and don't remember anyone else mentioning them, so can't comment on that.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 03:37 PM   #8
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Someone somewhere told me that and I haven't been back to the camper to attempt to trace the white wire. The other two campers we have owned didn't have it. It would seem the tanks are grounded since they are attached to metal brackets. But, who knows on these things?

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 07-01-2020, 02:08 PM   #9
John McLean
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23622
You are correct.
John McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 08:09 PM   #10
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Never seen a ground wire on a propane tank.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:38 PM   #11
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Traveled to camper in storage to check things out and to trace white wire. As best I can tell the white wire goes into the storage compartment and is connected to the inverter for the frig along with red or positive. The attached pics show the wire. Was doing a lot of checking for leaks and replacing damp rid containers on hot day on asphalt so may have missed something!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05732.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	6812   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05736.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	6813   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05737.jpg
Views:	69