Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2006, 08:44 AM   #41
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Bigskyguy, Thanks. I take it you are using awnings, too? Are you putting the bubble wrap on windows with awnings, also - or only the ones w/o awnings?

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 11:58 AM   #42
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Montana Sky, not sure what it was for maybe second AC prep if it had been ordered but was not. Had washer/dyer installed by dealer with the deal when we bought it. On my panel the spare 30 amp was on far right blank. That's what I am wired into works fine as long as I am on 50 amp service I can run everything and anything we need to. I saw somewhere that the second AC prep factory wiring does not let you run both AC's at same time not sure if that's true or not. I think it was Fordzilla that had this issue not sure but rewired it so it would work with both running at same time.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:30 PM   #43
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Broome101,
Thanks for the reply, sound to me like you got lucky or Keystone has added some empty breakers in the newer models. From what the folks at my dealership are telling me you can run both a/c units as at the same time, you just have to be on 50amp service. Does not work very well or at all on 30amp.

Dave,
The difference in 13.5k btu and 15k btu is power. The bigger the number the more area it can cool. I choose the 15k for the reason I would rather have too much than not enough. My plan is to use the main a/c to cool down the living room area and once it is cool, shut it down and run the bedroom a/c to continue to pump cool air into the coach. I do not like having the main a/c running while I have company over or am watching tv. I found I like to turn the volume up on the tv to over power the sound of the a/c, which in turn allows my neighbors to listen to my tv as well. =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 12:49 PM   #44
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Broome101, I agree with Dave on being able to run both A/Cs at the same time - as long as you are on 50 amp service. Otherwise, I would it would defeat the whole purpose for putting in the 2nd A/C in the first place.

Dave, How about weight difference, power pull difference and noise level difference? I know that some A/Cs are much quieter than others - especially on startup. And I thought I had heard somewhere that some of the reason for noise from an A/C is in the ducting (although the 2nd A/C has no ducting).
Old 01-04-2006, 04:07 PM   #45
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
Check this link, it has information on the Dometic low-profile a/c I am installing. Should answer most of your questions for you.
http://dometicusa.com/climate.php?product=50
Old 01-04-2006, 04:41 PM   #46
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Dave. I really like the looks of that unit. It says it's quiet. But to be fair, I think they all make that claim, so I don't know how to use that info. What brand comes off the line if ordered as a 2nd unit? Dometic?
Old 01-04-2006, 05:47 PM   #47
Starchmill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2070
Send a message via AIM to Starchmill
What is a heat strip???
Starchmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 06:02 PM   #48
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Starchmill, I think it was explained to me that it is simply a heating element in the A/C that can be used in cool/cold weather. I could be wrong... hopefully someone will be along with a lot better explanantion.

Don't you find this kind of odd that this one of the longest threads recently over an item that WAY out of season? We must just be an odd bunch. I know, I know... "Speak for yourself!"
Old 01-04-2006, 06:37 PM   #49
Montana_2753
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2753
dsprik: At this time I DONOT have any awnings except the "standard" patio awning. I had the bubble material on all the windows. It comes by the foot in 24" and 36" widths. I got it at the local hardware store, but it's available at Home Depot and Lowes. Having awnings on all the windows would definitely be an advantage as you can shade the metal frames of the windows and significantly cut down on heat transfer.

Because I'm living in Q'site 24/7/365, I'm considering having a metal cover built (about 60 feet in length and 14 feet high) to cover the whole Monty. That would provide "shade" for the roof, sides and windows. With the concrete slab (24ft wide X 60ft long) and the cover, it would run around $14,000.00-$16,000.00.

Montana_2753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 06:45 PM   #50
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Sounds like I need to check into awnings. It sounds like your idea would be a good fix, Bigskyguy, but sounds REALLY permanent. Are you planning on taking any trip with your rig?
Old 01-04-2006, 07:46 PM   #51
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
I am sure any of the main a/c makers have a quality product. I am the type of person who likes to keep all the parts/brands the same on my rigs, so will be staying with Dometic. The only thing I suggest is which ever a/c you purchase for the bedroom watch the height it will add. My 04' 3400RL is taller (at 12'11" plus the vent covers takes me to 13'3")than the 05-06' model years at(12'9") which is the main reason I am going with the Low-profile over the traditional 13.5 or 15k btu a/c.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:35 AM   #52
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Broome101, It wasn't me that had trouble with the A/C's I have had no problems with 50 amp service running both at the same time all day long. There is even a park not far from home here where I can run both on 30 amp service! But nothing else better kick on or it will pop the breaker at the pole.

dsprik, I agree 100% we are sitting here in Iowa with 3-4 inches of snow on the ground talking about air conditioning. Maybe if we keep this thread going, spring will get here sooner. Some camping friends of ours are all going together and renting some cabins nearby and going to camp out for a long weekend coming up soon. Hopefully that will tame my eagerness for spring for a little while.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 02:04 AM   #53
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Sorry Fordzilla I remember this post while back thought it was you but memory not what it use to be anymore. Not tried both on 30 amp service yet, but glad we have the second AC that I installed last year. Really helps keep unit cool, before I never could get it below about 79 degrees inside, like it cool in hot humid weather.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:26 AM   #54
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
No problem, One will keep ours pretty comfortable in normal Iowa weather. But when it gets up to 90+ and high humidity they are both cranked up and running. We like it for a little climat control inside the trailer as well. We can have one end of the trailer a little cooler than the other. Being's we are more of the weekend warrior type we use both to cool the trailer down when we first get set up also.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:31 AM   #55
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
But all of you have your Montana's Dave(dsprik) and I are about to order ours and we are picking your collective brains so that we can order the options that best suit us.Helen and I had a BIG discussion about the 2nd A/C last night and SHE thinks it is a good idea..so I guess we will order it.....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 03:41 AM   #56
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
I don't think you will be sorry. We use ours more than I originally thought we would.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:36 AM   #57
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
cheaper to order with than go back and add, about 500 in diff.
Old 01-05-2006, 09:08 AM   #58
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rich,
I do not think you will be sorry about ordering the second a/c. I just wish I would have either ordered it or had it installed last year. Oh well, gives me a reason to go to the rv show! =)
Old 01-05-2006, 10:07 AM   #59
Bighorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4626
I agree with Montana Ski and would likes to keep all the parts/brands the same in my rigs. I called the dealer and asked him and he recommended the Dometic Penguin Lowest Profile 15K model. I told him to have one ready to install the end of March when we return from Florida. Sherry thinks I should wait until we put it to the test this summer. But from what I’ve read so far I think it’s a wise move. It can get pretty hot & Humid around the Chesapeake in the summer time.

Ed
Bighorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 04:35 PM   #60
Montana_2753
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2753
I bought my RV lot in early December 2005 with plans to retire in a couple of years and stay in Q'site from OCt.-March then travel. Bought the Monty late December and put it on the property. However, circumstances have changed; I retired in October 2005, am living here "permanently" in my Monty and helping in a local church. At the present time I have NO tow vehicle; used a friend's Chevy 3500 dually, to bring Monty here but looking into buying my own so I can travel around as time permits. Putting up the cover would be permanent so that shade and protection is provided. Will be checking out having window awnings installed here in Q'site. There is a company "RV Awnings" that is here and will come to your site to install awnings, so will check prices, etc. If anybody has used them in the past I would like to know what you think of them.

Bruce
Montana_2753 is offline   Reply With Quote