Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2019, 12:32 AM   #1
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
Washer and Dryer

Hello guys, I ran a cross a EdgeStar non-vented washer and dryer on Offer-up today, they are selling it for $599.00 the lady said that they use it one time so it look like a pretty good deal, what do you guys say. One thing that I'm looking at that I don't have to drill a 4' hole in my 5th wheel but anyway give me your comments.

Sparatacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:36 AM   #2
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
The non vented dryers, from my understanding will take quite a bit longer to dry. You could always have someone, a professional drill the hole. It’s really not that bad.
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:57 AM   #3
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
Yes I think you're right, I look at doing it myself I watch a few YouTube video and I feel good on drilling a hole on the side. Now with that being said there a sticker inside to drill the hole how is that spot okay or do I still need to use a stud finder? Thank you for your comment.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:03 AM   #4
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I have yet to read about anyone really liking a Non-Vented unit. Very good Friends got talked into one and hated it.
From what I have read, the only way to use the Dryer side is to get the clothes to a damp state, then take the clothes out and hang them up. I know our Friends tried to actually get clothes dry in the dryer and ended up wrinkled so bad that they couldn't get the wrinkles out.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:07 AM   #5
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
We have had a non-vented washer/dryer in a MH. I would pass. Humidity and drying times are the cons.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:30 AM   #6
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I just binged Edgestar, never heard of them. We've had three Splendides, all vented, a bit more money but very reliable.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 08:23 AM   #7
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
Thank everyone for your comments, that is why I love this site you guys save me a lot of headache down the road. I think I pass on that deal and go the way I was going to go with in the first place, get the vented.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:31 AM   #8
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
I have yet to read about anyone really liking a Non-Vented unit. Very good Friends got talked into one and hated it.
From what I have read, the only way to use the Dryer side is to get the clothes to a damp state, then take the clothes out and hang them up. I know our Friends tried to actually get clothes dry in the dryer and ended up wrinkled so bad that they couldn't get the wrinkles out.
Now you have. We love our splendide 7100xc.

Works just fine. No hole to drill and we like the extra storage above it. I think a lot of the problems people have is because they don't read the directions and don't give it a chance. You have to learn how to use it.
Old 11-17-2019, 11:52 AM   #9
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
Now you have. We love our splendide 7100xc.

Works just fine. No hole to drill and we like the extra storage above it. I think a lot of the problems people have is because they don't read the directions and don't give it a chance. You have to learn how to use it.

Awesome, I would like you to enlighten me on the ventless combo, because I found a good deal on one. The guy that selling it's a LG brand he said that either he use it once or never use it for $500.
Old 11-17-2019, 12:34 PM   #10
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have a nonvented one. I almost too old to try to use it again. It takes so long to wash and dry a load I’m afraid I might check out permanently before it finishes.
Don’t buy it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 03:30 PM   #11
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I have a nonvented one. I almost too old to try to use it again. It takes so long to wash and dry a load I’m afraid I might check out permanently before it finishes.
Don’t buy it.
Lynwood

Lol, funny, I read this to my wife we both laughed.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:57 PM   #12
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparatacus View Post
Awesome, I would like you to enlighten me on the ventless combo, because I found a good deal on one. The guy that selling it's a LG brand he said that either he use it once or never use it for $500.
I can only speak for my splendide. It takes 90 minutes to dry a load of underwear, or socks, or t shirts. You can't overload it. 6 t shirts is a good number.
I washed a pair of blue jeans and 3 flannel shirts yesterday. Set them on 2 hours dry. They were slightly damp so I hung them in the shower over night. Dry this morning.

I've never had a 110v dryer so I don't know how they perform but I'm sure it would be slower than at home also.

I thought about this purchase for at least 6 months after we bought our Montana and read a lot of reviews.
Old 11-17-2019, 07:15 PM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparatacus View Post
Lol, funny, I read this to my wife we both laughed.

We used to deal with an old guy in Wisconsin. He owned a gun and bow shop. He would call with an order and I would always tell him he could wait as long as he wanted to to pay, next year I didn’t care. He would always assure me he would send a check the day the order arrived “cause you can’t never tell when you might check out”. Sadly we haven’t heard from him in several years. My neighbor used to tell me “boy any of these new cars will last you a lifetime, if you drive em fast enough”.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:13 AM   #14
Desert Rat
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24985
I was just thinking, there may be a reason they only used that non-vented washer/dryer only once.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:54 PM   #15
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
You know I kind of think that myself, I'm still looking and doing my search I have time since I've had store it now.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:00 PM   #16
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
We used to deal with an old guy in Wisconsin. He owned a gun and bow shop. He would call with an order and I would always tell him he could wait as long as he wanted to to pay, next year I didn’t care. He would always assure me he would send a check the day the order arrived “cause you can’t never tell when you might check out”. Sadly we haven’t heard from him in several years. My neighbor used to tell me “boy any of these new cars will last you a lifetime, if you drive em fast enough”.
Lynwood

You are right about that, we just don't know when we are going to leave this earth, I'm a Pastor and I tell people all the time about it.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:24 PM   #17
rpkittle1
Established Member

M.O.C. #23884
Think about where the heat will go before you use an unvented dryer. Some of the moisture will also end up in your couch. When we purchased our used Montana it came with a washer and dryer. Both of them Splendide and both work well. I tried the dryer a couple of weeks ago and it would not heat. A thermostat was out. (Found people talking about the thermostat on the web and found it I replace the part it could go out again at any time.) I started looking for parts. Quite expensive and hard to get. Just to replace the heater unit which include the thermostats would be $141 plus shipping and tax and I found only one place to order the part. I bought a new Magic Chef dryer (the same size) for $250 + tax and free shipping. The parts are listed on the Magic Chef website and at a lower cost. We are quite happy with the new one.
rpkittle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:50 PM   #18
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I've had both. If you have plenty of time on your hands then the ventless may work for you. If you are on a meter then it would be more expensive running the ventless as it takes about 50% longer to dry. I'll stick with the vented dryer and they still take a while to dry.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 01:11 PM   #19
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
Thanks for your comments, this give me something to think about.
Old 11-25-2019, 03:24 PM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Normal load on the vented splendide 50 mins dry time just did a load today.You do have to learn how to us them cloths will not wrinkle if the load is proper.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote