Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Dual Rear Wheel Valve Stems

Hello All,

I have a 2012 DRW F-350. I went to Les Schwab about a month ago and ordered long replacement metal valve stems so it would be easier to check pressure and fill.

They finally came in, but before I could even come in, they had said they would not work and that they were still working on it. This led to several back and forth calls and emails to get the correct valve stems, which they still do not have.

I assumed a major tire company would have had this request numerous times. Does anyone know of a brand, or have the long metal valve stems?

Thanks much!

Greg

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:55 AM   #2
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
I can't remember the brand but if you goggle tire valve stems you will hit it. I got them for the truck and camper.

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:53 AM   #3
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
I actually picked mine up at our local camper dealer that has a parts department/store.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:17 AM   #4
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Thanks for the responses. I just got off the phone and Les Schwab is telling me their supplier is saying they have no product that will seal well enough at the wheel with a rubber grommet and go out several inches and be able to support a TPMS sensor. I forgot to mention the need for TPMS sensor in the original post. He did mention the flexible stems, but said they have so much trouble with them leaking that they will not mount them any longer.

I tried googling, and I am not getting any of the rigid ones I have seen before. Anyone know of a brand I can look for?
Old 01-03-2013, 05:27 AM   #5
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Greg,

I have the same truck so I know the problem you are having.

I eventually bought a digital meter with a long offset head, and bent the stem slightly. I did the same with an air chuck. (I carry my own air compressor since my trailer tires are high pressure)

I use a different one for the outsides. I keep them all in a small canvas case in the rear door side well. I can now easily check all the wheels and add air if needed.

I didn't want to mess with stems, or extenders that bolt to the bearing covers etc, and figured to get it right I'd have to go thru what you are going thru now. It seemed a simple inexpensive fix to a dumb setup.

I find it easy sometimes to look down from on top of the wheels if you are having problems lining them up.

Hope this helps.
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:58 AM   #6
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gkerlin

Greg,

I eventually bought a digital meter with a long offset head, and bent the stem slightly. I did the same with an air chuck. (I carry my own air compressor since my trailer tires are high pressure)

I use a different one for the outsides. I keep them all in a small canvas case in the rear door side well. I can now easily check all the wheels and add air if needed.

I didn't want to mess with stems, or extenders that bolt to the bearing covers etc, and figured to get it right I'd have to go thru what you are going thru now. It seemed a simple inexpensive fix to a dumb setup.

I find it easy sometimes to look down from on top of the wheels if you are having problems lining them up.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Greg. How did you get the sensors to go on the stems and still be able to get an air chuck in there to fill or a gauge to check them? How did you get sensors on those inner tires?

Appreciate the suggestons!

Greg
Old 01-03-2013, 06:08 AM   #7
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
I had the same problems and came up with a air chuck and pressure gauge that I can reach the inner stem with. I do not put a sensor on the inner tire. Came under the heading of "to tough to do".
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:42 PM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I had the 6 inch flexible stems and sensors on the end of them. I did have some problems with them leaking at first, then got wise and wrapped the stems with teflon tape and never had another leakage problem. My truck was a Chevy dually NAPA had what I needed to do the job.....Hope this helps....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #9
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pineranch

I had the same problems and came up with a air chuck and pressure gauge that I can reach the inner stem with. I do not put a sensor on the inner tire. Came under the heading of "to tough to do".
Mike
That's kind of what I thought too. All I know is even the guys at the tire shop have a real hard time of checking and filling the tires when I've gone in while waiting for the stems to come in...
Old 01-03-2013, 07:17 PM   #10
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

I had the 6 inch flexible stems and sensors on the end of them. I did have some problems with them leaking at first, then got wise and wrapped the stems with teflon tape and never had another leakage problem. My truck was a Chevy dually NAPA had what I needed to do the job.....Hope this helps....
Thanks Phil. I'm seeing the flexible ones either mount on the center or in one of the wheel cutouts where the stems are. Is this determined by the wheel or just by preference?

What about a threadlocker like Loctite to keep that extension from leaking? Have never used it, just thinking out loud.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:54 AM   #11
daily double
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9256
My pal at the tire shop tells me that Ford actually makes the long stems for the Ford duallys.
daily double is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:33 AM   #12
jimmy2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12317
this is funny just the other day the wife and i were check the tires all 6 are new but she said that one of the inside tires on the back duals were flat and i started to tear up there goes another $200.00 for a new tire but i took the truck back to tire store and found out that it was just the valve extenders they were the ones that dodge had put on made the tires and were made of rubber the bad thing was the tire company only had one new extender to replace the one that had gone bad. so i have to get some new ones i saw at CW they have them for $20.00 sorry for the long story Jim
jimmy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:01 AM   #13
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
I had the flexible braided 6" steal extenders on my rear wheels, after rotating the tires, I put these extenders back on and drove about 230 miles to a CG. Somewhere along the line, 1 on the inside and 1 on the outside came off the rim and the end of the extension was ground off somehow.

So, we had 2 flat tires for an unknown amount of time driving the 230 miles.

I had the tires checked and metal valve stems installed on all 6 tires.

I also have the solid metal valve stems extensions, 2 U shaped and 2 straight(4 inches long) so I can still reach them to check the pressure.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:07 AM   #14
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
We have used the flexible extenders for more than 20 years- Have always used Locktite on the stems and never had a tire go flat- I watch the tire techs as they do any work on my wheels- I give directions if I feel they are needed- My 30 plus years in the tire business qualifies me to give instructions- However, we check inflation every time we tow- We have added air from time to time due to changes in altitude or weather changes- The secret as I see it is checking inflation frequently- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:08 AM   #15
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by daily double

My pal at the tire shop tells me that Ford actually makes the long stems for the Ford duallys.
I had thought of that, will give them a call - Thanks.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:09 AM   #16
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jimmy2

this is funny just the other day the wife and i were check the tires all 6 are new but she said that one of the inside tires on the back duals were flat and i started to tear up there goes another $200.00 for a new tire but i took the truck back to tire store and found out that it was just the valve extenders they were the ones that dodge had put on made the tires and were made of rubber the bad thing was the tire company only had one new extender to replace the one that had gone bad. so i have to get some new ones i saw at CW they have them for $20.00 sorry for the long story Jim
Glad it wasn't any worse Jim.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:11 AM   #17
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by oldelmer1

I had the flexible braided 6" steal extenders on my rear wheels, after rotating the tires, I put these extenders back on and drove about 230 miles to a CG. Somewhere along the line, 1 on the inside and 1 on the outside came off the rim and the end of the extension was ground off somehow.

So, we had 2 flat tires for an unknown amount of time driving the 230 miles.

I had the tires checked and metal valve stems installed on all 6 tires.

I also have the solid metal valve stems extensions, 2 U shaped and 2 straight(4 inches long) so I can still reach them to check the pressure.
Was this installation done at a national tire company?
Old 01-04-2013, 05:34 AM   #18
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by seahunter

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gkerlin

Greg,

Hope this helps.
Thanks Greg. How did you get the sensors to go on the stems and still be able to get an air chuck in there to fill or a gauge to check them? How did you get sensors on those inner tires?

Appreciate the suggestons!

Greg
Greg - I dont have sensors on my truck. Kind of wished I did. If I do I think I'll get the tst internal ones and then probably have to go back thru the whole learning curve with new stems.

Its foolish that Ford will install the monitors on the SRW's but not the DRW's and if there's a truck that really could benefit from them its the DRW's... Go figure
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:26 AM   #19
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
[quote]quote:Originally posted by Gkerlin

Quote:

Quote:
Originally posted by Gkerlin

Greg - I dont have sensors on my truck. Kind of wished I did. If I do I think I'll get the tst internal ones and then probably have to go back thru the whole learning curve with new stems.

Its foolish that Ford will install the monitors on the SRW's but not the DRW's and if there's a truck that really could benefit from them its the DRW's... Go figure
You got that right - they don't offer the TPMS on the vehicle you really need it on. I thought you had the TST because of your signature line - is that just on the trailer?
Old 01-04-2013, 09:22 AM   #20
vmoore1
Established Member

M.O.C. #12808
Quote:

Hello All,

I have a 2012 DRW F-350. I went to Les Schwab about a month ago and ordered long replacement metal valve stems so it would be easier to check pressure and fill.

They finally came in, but before I could even come in, they had said they would not work and that they were still working on it. This led to several back and forth calls and emails to get the correct valve stems, which they still do not have.

I assumed a major tire company would have had this request numerous times. Does anyone know of a brand, or have the long metal valve stems?

Thanks much!

Greg
Hey Seahunter, you could call this place and see if they got what you need.
http://yourtireshopsupply.com/catego...lly-valve-kits
vmoore1 is offline   Reply With Quote