Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2005, 12:59 PM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Where is the wiring inside the walls?

How do you know where it is safe to hand something on the wall? Do you have to just guess and hope that it won't be too shocking?

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 02:41 PM   #2
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Good question. Unless it is something that requires lots support I would try attach it with velcro. The bad part of the velcro is if you try to remove it wants to takes the paper thin print on the wall with it. I think there was a thread dealing with how to put things on the wall and minimize the damage when removing. Maybe someone will recall what was said and repost. As far as putting screws in the wall and hitting a wire, if you don't trip a GFIC, breaker or blow a fuse you know that you did not touch a wire.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 02:42 PM   #3
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
Hi All I have found is inside the aluminum frame which makes it hard to tie something new into it but makes it very safe. Dan
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 03:54 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've drilled a few holes in the wall and was never really sure what was behind there. I figured that if I'm not right next to an electrical box then any wiring probably has a little give in it, not strung real tight. I drilled very carefully and slowly, stopping the bit as soon as it was through the wall. Then I used a small screwdriver to probe behind the hole. I never found anything that was stop what I was doing.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 04:36 PM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
That sounds like a good plan, Steve. We haven't really put any screws or nails into the walls because we don't know what the electrical layout is.
Old 05-18-2005, 04:44 PM   #6
t1mrtork
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1744
Send a message via MSN to t1mrtork
You could go to a Menards or Lowes and ask someone to help you find a electronic stud finder with an electical wire finder on it also. Most of these can locate metal studs also. This may be better than finding the wire the hard way. Especially if the wire happens to get damaged to the point of having to get into the wall to fix it. Hope this helps. Terry
t1mrtork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 12:11 AM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
That sounds like a good idea. We've used one for finding nails in wooden studs but haven't thought about using it in the Monty.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:56 AM   #8
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
If the issue is hanging light and medium weight items, we've been having real good luck with the black commercial-grade Velcro. We've hung small lights and pictures (and even a reasonably heavy clock), and nothing has moved at all. Charlie is right, be real sure that what you are hanging will be at least semi-permanent. The bonding agent on this Velcro is really good and will remove the "wallpaper".

You also might want to check out the removable-adhesive hooks that 3M has out. We're using one on each side of our 5er hitch to hang our family shingle. I figured that the adhesive would give way pretty quickly out in the elements, but that hasn't been the case!
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 07:56 AM   #9
psingo
Established Member

M.O.C. #3153
I use the velcro to mount things BUT what I do is use the 3M removable tape on the sticky side of the piece of velcro that goes on the wall.(The 3M tape is attachec to the velcro and then that gets attached to the wall) It worked in my old 5th wheel for 5 years, and removed without damage when I traded it in. I am doing in my new Monty too.

Pam
psingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 01:31 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've used that industrial grade velcro, also, and it is really good. I found it at Walmart by accident. I asked the guy in the paint department if he knows where to find it and he reached under the counter and said you have to ask. I don't know if he was kidding or what but if you don't find it on the shelf.... ask the guy in the paint department!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 06:34 AM   #11
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Don't use the cheaper velco, it just comes off after a while, go with the industrial grade. Found that if you use velco, it works better if you can put a small nail or screw in the wall to help hold the weight of whatever you hang. Another trick we have used in the after removal department when the velco or whatever damages the wallcovering, is to order about 50 feet of seam tape and six feet of the wide "wainscoat" tape that matches your wallcovering to cover any damaged areas or cover nail holes, etc. Think we paid about $45 for this amount from the dealer. Generally you will have to do this when the rig is on the new side. If you make the patch "roundish" so there aren't straight edges to your patch, it will make it more difficult for the eye to see.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 06:37 AM   #12
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Here's something pretty pricey - but if you've ever seen it on QVC, then you may think it's worth the $$$ I think you could hang your generator from the wall with a couple of these !! Wall Hangers
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 06:59 PM   #13
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
we have the stud finder with the live wire finder I think its just a metal dector in your hand
Old 05-30-2005, 04:14 AM   #14
Montana_532
Established Member

M.O.C. #532
As I recall from the factory tour, there is practically no wiring in the outside walls. Almost everything goes over head. So even the wiring in the walls comes from the top down. So unless there is a fixture or an outlet near where you want to attache something to the wall, your are usually okay.
Montana_532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 05:49 PM   #15
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I've found the industrial strength velcro in the sewing dept. They're not as secretive as the paint dept.