Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2008, 04:22 PM   #1
Ed Benson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1027
Fridge air cirulation

While researching RV refer products / problems / fix's - I spotted a very clever (new to me anyway) fix for fin air circulation in an absorbtion style RV fridge. The gentleman - SOB site - retrofitted a computer hard drive cooling fan set with 4 spring type paper clips - handles removed - so the fan could be pushed onto fins. Power was obtained from the hot side of the fridge light. Current drain is less than the fridge light. Very slick.

Ed Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:05 AM   #2
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
When I first got my SOB the local dealer noticed that it did not have the 'slide out' kit installed so he had me go buy a small 12 v computer case fan -- he hung it off the bottom of the refer blowing up the back of the unit (increased air flow and draw thru the heater vent/chimney ) - went from warm to freezing conditions in the refer. Very quiet as well. The kit that Dometic sells for the units installed in slide outs is basically a small cpu (or case) fan and a temperature switch plus some wiring. We did it with Radio shack parts and I've noticed that mine is much quieter (at least in my mind) than the dometic kits.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 03:03 PM   #3
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
I just saw a solar powered 'fridg fan at CW. It was $50+! Looked like it might have cost at most $10 to build.....
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:52 AM   #4
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I went with the little cheap one from cw (under $20.00)that takes 2 D battery's and runs for 30 days.It's been about 3 weeks now and it's still running with no ice build up on the fins which I used to get without the fan.What ever way you go I think the fans are important.It's a shame with the price of these refrigerators that there isn't a fan in them from the factory.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:03 PM   #5
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Garyka's comment makes me wonder if I mis-understood the original post. I thought we were talking about a fan that runs on the outside of the unit (at the back) and is used to help the unit work, especially those installed in slide-outs. Dometic has a 'slide-out' kit that consists of a temperature sensor, a small (CPU) fan, and some wiring. This is installed at the bottom of the 'stack' to assist in getting good venting up the chimney and out of the top vent so that the unit cools better. The larger computer case fan I spoke of above was a 'home brew' of this same thing.

Now that said, I have also seen several models that sit inside the refer and assist in circulating the air within the unit to maintain a more even temperature within the unit. I, like Gary, have a small fan powered by a couple of 'D' cells that we use in hot weather. Works like a charm and we don't get things freezing at the bottom while stuff at the top is luke-warm.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:47 AM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We have been FTing with our 2007 3400 for 2 years and we have never had uneven cooling or freezing in our fridge (Dometic) and needed any fan. Is this a problem with older units? Or are we just lucky?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:04 AM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Ditto Dave (dsprik) in that we have not had any problem with the fridge cooling. I wonder if it makes a difference that ours is always full (something about keeping plenty of food on-hand while camping??), including the freezer?? Curious as to how many have this type of problem since we have never experienced it??
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:32 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

We have been FTing with our 2007 3400 for 2 years and we have never had uneven cooling or freezing in our fridge (Dometic) and needed any fan. Is this a problem with older units? Or are we just lucky?
Dave, we've used one of those little CW circulation fans (uses D batteries) only to just circulate the air inside the reefer. It's not a necessary thing but makes the wife happy. Sooooo, I do what I have to do. You know the old saying, "If momma ain't happy, there ain't anyone happy."

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:47 AM   #9
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
For those that haven't looked, remove the top refer vent on the slide mount refer. Look inside and down, you will see 2 fans installed that move the air, no need to do a home built and install in the bottom.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:32 AM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Dave, we've used one of those little CW circulation fans (uses D batteries) only to just circulate the air inside the reefer. It's not a necessary thing but makes the wife happy. Sooooo, I do what I have to do. You know the old saying, "If momma ain't happy, there ain't anyone happy."

Orv
I also subscribe to that theory, Orv!
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:00 PM   #11
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
On my SOB It was supposed to have those fans installed but didn't -- hence the local setup. I have the dometic side by side unit -- rather tall -- the dealer in Albuquerque recommended the inside fan when we first got it. Told us that others who had that same refer (very tall and skinny) had consistently complained about temperature variations. Noticed it last summer (100+ degree days in sunlight) but that was about it. Kept the fan going since we had it but haven't used it at all this year.

My unit is actually a 2006 (May 2005 build) so I imagine that there have been quite a few changes in the recent years.