Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2020, 08:58 AM   #81
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
When I had my trays installed at the dealer under warranty the explanation of the leaky motors was different. They said that this batch of motors was actually over filled in production and that after they leaked down to a certain point they would stop leaking and still be OK.

Now time will tell if that's really the case but I believe they did resolve the leaking motor issue about a year and a half ago and that new units aren't leaking. Is that true? Are there 2019/2020 rigs with leaking motors?

Also, it doesn't appear that they put tape on my slides. It looks to me that they managed to shrink and flatten the material back down. And a couple were bubbled up pretty good.

jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:07 AM   #82
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
go for the gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
When I had my trays installed at the dealer under warranty the explanation of the leaky motors was different. They said that this batch of motors was actually over filled in production and that after they leaked down to a certain point they would stop leaking and still be OK.

Now time will tell if that's really the case but I believe they did resolve the leaking motor issue about a year and a half ago and that new units aren't leaking. Is that true? Are there 2019/2020 rigs with leaking motors?

Also, it doesn't appear that they put tape on my slides. It looks to me that they managed to shrink and flatten the material back down. And a couple were bubbled up pretty good.
Maybe But then the fix would be to clean out the gearbox of some of the grease and not have to install parts and repair roof. Do you think the gear box created internal pressure to force out the over filled grease ? Talk to a mechanic they will laugh. But anyway hope it all works out for people.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:50 AM   #83
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post

My 2019 bought in July or August of 2018 has never leaked.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:50 PM   #84
Creeker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23094
Our '19 leaked from day one. All three slide gearboxes.
I read about the problem shortly after purchase and installed the
drip pans immediately. Luckily two of the three had never dripped
on the slide out roofs and the third had a small bubble about the
size of a dime. I cleaned it well and it resealed itself. I can't even
find the spot where it was now.

Our drip pans have been on for a year. I recently cleaned them out for the first time. They all had a very small amount of oil in the pans. It would take a decade and more for them to run dry at the rate they have leaked. I now consider this to be a non issue.

Keystone should be ashamed of themselves for continually putting out these gearboxes for several years after knowing of the problem.
Creeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 03:36 PM   #85
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
The fix was to add drip pans at the factory. Norco is the supplier. Keystone would have to redesign the slides to get rid of them.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 03:51 PM   #86
boisesmith
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23951
Somehow it looks like I came upon the middle of a thread about slide out gear boxes. Where is the beginning of this discussion and what kind of slide system is involved?
boisesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:32 PM   #87
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Cable slide systems. Go back to page one and read on.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:25 PM   #88
GILAELKHUNTER
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24575
Good news.. After much discussion with Keystone rep., they have authorized replacement of the roof membrane on two of my slides. They asked the service center to send more pictures and after review they decided to replace the rubber roofs. I am still working on them to just go ahead and do all three. We will see.
GILAELKHUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:31 PM   #89
GILAELKHUNTER
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24575
[QUOTE=jsb5717;1176611]When I had my trays installed at the dealer under warranty the explanation of the leaky motors was different. They said that this batch of motors was actually over filled in production and that after they leaked down to a certain point they would stop leaking and still be OK.

Mine is a 2019 purchased in June 2019, I first saw the threads on here and checked mine in August, so I assume I purchased it that way not knowing. Some people on here and the lady at Keystone keep calling it grease in the gear motors, it is not, it is oil. Grease would not run out and down the top of the slide for 5 feet as the oil did on mine. Which makes me wonder if there is any oil left in there.
Old 07-16-2021, 03:04 PM   #90
69Roadrunner
Established Member

M.O.C. #26993
Did the dealer cut out the defective areas or just put tape over the bubbles. My dealer(Camping World) put tape the full length of the slide. It was a total mess and I wouldn’t accept it! This was last week, still waiting on their plan to correct. I’ve contacted Keystone and they are adamant about what they will do, which is to tape. I’ve owned 2 Keystone campers and this is my last!!
69Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 03:39 PM   #91
GILAELKHUNTER
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24575
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Roadrunner View Post
Did the dealer cut out the defective areas or just put tape over the bubbles. My dealer(Camping World) put tape the full length of the slide. It was a total mess and I wouldn’t accept it! This was last week, still waiting on their plan to correct. I’ve contacted Keystone and they are adamant about what they will do, which is to tape. I’ve owned 2 Keystone campers and this is my last!!
They wanted to put tape on top of the bubbles, and I would not except that. I was adamant about it. It all boiled down to getting the service writer and service manager to tell Keystone that it was much worse, and needed replacement. With a whole lot of pictures to justify it. Keystone ponied up for replacing EPDM material on two of three slides. And the drip pans. The third was just cleaned. It still has a couple bubbles. I wonder what they would do if their $50,000 car dripped oil? Put a drip pan on the garage floor?
Air Lift 5000 airbags
Old 07-16-2021, 04:07 PM   #92
69Roadrunner
Established Member

M.O.C. #26993
Was your camper still under warranty? My camper was 2 1/2 news old before I discovered I had a problem and I learned it on this forum.
69Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 06:21 PM   #93
shbcr1
Established Member

M.O.C. #23835
Camping world only put a foot long strip of tape over the damage to three of our four slides. They failed to re install the fascia properly and it fell down damaging the fridge door. Took a month of haggling, but got Keystone to pay for all slides to be re roofed by a different factory approved repair shop.. Campingworld paid for the new fascia and fridge door. We didn't let them touch the unit.
shbcr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 08:09 PM   #94
GILAELKHUNTER
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24575
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Roadrunner View Post
Was your camper still under warranty? My camper was 2 1/2 news old before I discovered I had a problem and I learned it on this forum.
Yes, My camper was still under warranty. We bought it in June of '19 and after reading about this on here I checked mine in August '19 and the damage was there. I really think I bought it that way.
Air Lift 5000 airbags