Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2019, 10:56 AM   #1
E12Cheng
Established Member

M.O.C. #25338
Traveling with a Doberman

I see that my dog is listed as a vicious breed and some campgrounds restrict these dogs. Is this really the case. I would hate to leave my buddy behind as he is very well mannered.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A7C2D878-CEA2-40B1-8ED5-401A2E1F635C.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	5246  

E12Cheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 11:22 AM   #2
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I have seen where some parks list the breeds they do not allow and others ask what you have. You will just need to do some extra planning on your trip.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 11:33 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I have not encountered it with our various 85 lb Golden Retrievers, but the topic comes up regularly on another RV forum. And apparently some RV parks do enforce the rule. And the general consensus is that it is driven by the park insurance carrier rather than the park itself. From what I have read, some have the specific breed restrictions, some have a size restriction. Goldens don't fall into the breed restriction, but could fall into the size restriction.

The problem is not that those "dangerous" breeds are more likely to bite than a smaller dog. But that when they do bite they can inflict serious injury where a small dog might just break the skin.

Ultimately you will just have to check ahead to see if a specific park has such restrictions. And the "what they don't know" idea is not good unless you intend to let your dog do their business inside your RV. Let them out to pee/poop and the park owner/manager see them and out you go looking for a different park.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 11:33 AM   #4
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Tell folks he is a Poodledobie. If he is well behaved you should've an issue.

Dogs tend to be very good judges of people. If someone doesn't like dogs, you should be very suspicious of them.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 11:59 AM   #5
E12Cheng
Established Member

M.O.C. #25338
Thank you for the quick reply. We just don’t know what to do when we start full timing in a few weeks. We will be on the road for a year traveling from Key West to Alaska. Zeus is well mannered but I guess he is scary with his size.
TSLB Trailer Saver air ride hitch
Old 12-24-2019, 12:40 PM   #6
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post

Dogs tend to be very good judges of people. If someone doesn't like dogs, you should be very suspicious of them.
It's not that my wife doesn't like dog's but she is scared of them and dogs seam to know it. My wife has 2 artificial knees as many seniors have and if a large dog runs up to her she could hurt her self. Most people are responsible dog owners but there are a few that think everyone wants to pet there dog and that's just not the case.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 12:51 PM   #7
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
E12Cheng: We have been traveling with a fifth-wheel for over 20 years, the last 12 with our Lab mix dog, Daisy. We have only been turned away one time in all those years and that was because of size (Nothing over 40 pounds), but we have always been aware of some campgrounds that do restrict by certain breeds. Here is a case where you simply have to go by the letter of their law. If "Doberman" is restricted you just have to find another campground. It is not a matter of what is right or what is the temperament of your dog; it is the letter of the law. I don't remember many campgrounds that have listed "Doberman" among the restricted breeds, but I know there are some. Just check it out in advance. If in doubt contact the campground. They may interpret their rule leniently, but it is better to know in advance. Good luck.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 03:34 PM   #8
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I wouldn't try the "Poodledobie" trick. Simply because if it Barks like a Dobie, walks like a Dobie, it's a Doberman. And you could end up ejected with no refund on unused time.
We're seeing more and more parks with Breed and Size restrictions, and I hate to say it but everyone thinks their Dog is the friendliest Dog in the World.
We had good friends with a Shepard Mix, that was the friendliest Dog to all of us who camped together, and generally with everyone else and other dogs. But every now and again someone walking their Dog would go by and that dog would be out for blood if he could get loose
Old 12-24-2019, 06:34 PM   #9
E12Cheng
Established Member

M.O.C. #25338
Thank you all for the reply’s and good advice. I think we will make arrangements for him to stay behind.
Old 12-25-2019, 11:32 AM   #10
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I'll start by saying I love dogs. We are very sad right now at the recent loss of one of ours. Many years ago I had Dobermans. I currently have a Chihuahua.

I think the root cause of most issues (of which this is just one) is that people have simply lost common courtesy of others. Its a sad time in our society when you HAVE to make rules or teach what well mannered people should just know.

No one has to tell me that it is impolite for my dog to disturb others with his barking and we do everything we can to restrict him from doing so. Likewise we don't let him run loose outside of a pen. He is ALWAYS on a leash while in the park and would be even if there wasn't a rule (I wouldn't stay at a park that didn't have a leash law). We never let him run up to anyone either as that can be scary.

While you may THINK that your dog is well behaved (and he may well be) he is still a dog and a large one at that. He may never attack anyone but you can't absolutely guarantee he won't. And even if his INTENT is friendly, the sight of a dog that can POTENTIALLY cause serious injury running up to you is very unnerving.
Then there is the issue of a small dog barking and harassing a larger one. I had a Chihuahua get in a fight with a larger dog in the past. Both dogs were on leashes but we got too close and the person handling the larger dog was not able to pull her dog back quickly enough.
My advice is if you do decide to travel with your dog, RESPECT the general public and only go to parks that allow the breed and do everything you can to mitigate the potential issues above. You choose a bred with a reputation and just like a lot of discussion we make in life there are responsibilities that come along with them. Just remember, strangers don't know your dog and for that matter he doesn't know them either.......
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 12:03 PM   #11
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
We have 2 mini (mid size) poodles that love camping. With that said, most dogs do. Three years ago in Utah we were parked back to back with another 5er. Those folks had two dobies. They were NOT friendly with other dogs though their oner claimed they were - right after they went after our two pups. Those folks were 'invited leave though not by our complaint but evidently someone else did.

One CG in NH we stayed in this past September had a list of at least 12 big dogs that were banned. That list only applied to us transients as seasonals monster German Shepard decided that if he could get off his log chain leash. one of our pups would be a tasty snack.

There are reasons for CGs to limit breeds, size or numbers of dogs, mostly due to insurance as well as a CGs past history. Unfortunately, not everyone is a committed dog owner and is willing to train them to be good citizens and IMHO, part of the entitled generations problems.

Good luck with you pup. It's too bad that a few have ruined RVing with all breeds of dogs
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 12:43 PM   #12
ejerni
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24555
Quote:
Originally Posted by E12Cheng View Post
Thank you for the quick reply. We just don’t know what to do when we start full timing in a few weeks. We will be on the road for a year traveling from Key West to Alaska. Zeus is well mannered but I guess he is scary with his size.
I've had a dobie many years ago. By no means can you leave him behind. They are a one family dog. Your's is beautiful!
ejerni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 04:00 PM   #13
E12Cheng
Established Member

M.O.C. #25338
Bravo well said Mtlakejim
He is a good boy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2C5A07F7-598B-483F-BC90-79813424E10B.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	5251  
Old 12-25-2019, 04:40 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have had many dogs over the years both big and small. You never know what a dog might do .It is a dog not human. It does not think like a human.It thinks like a dog.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 05:31 PM   #15
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
??

Quote:

I think most people would more suspicious of people that lie. You might think other people are just to stupid to recognize a dog breed but your just plain mistaken. Lying to get your way isn`t that a hold over from childhood.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 08:54 PM   #16
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
We have had many dogs over the years both big and small. You never know what a dog might do .It is a dog not human. It does not think like a human.It thinks like a dog.
There are a lot more evil people out there than evil dogs.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 09:36 PM   #17
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
There are a lot more evil people out there than evil dogs.
Obviously this thread is going downhill really quick. No need to get bent out of shape about the fact that not everyone agrees with each other.

Humans can be pure evil by choice for sure. Dogs are usually only acting out of some sort of instinct when they attack BUT a good owner is wise enough not to allow his dog to get in a situation where that is an issue. Unless you own other people good luck doing that with humans......

I don't think anyone on here is saying that dogs are inherently evil, only that for the good of themselves and society in general, they need to be controlled such that bad things don't happen. It is truly a sad day when an animal has to be put down because the owner acted foolishly!

And I have to admit I always get uncomfortable when an owner says "my dog wouldn't hurt a flea". That's about the same as the parents that say "my kids are little angles" all the while they are destroying the house or worse. Just take some good honest truth, please: not everyone agrees with your assessment of your little angel!!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 12:28 AM   #18
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
My dog is only 24#. Unless in our fenced backyard he is on a leash. We rescued him after 2 years of abuse and removed from his home. He has always been good with most people but I cannot trust him fully. He has lived with us and 2 other dogs at one time and never a problem but doesn't like other dogs. He is a mix of ?? and ?? and not on any list. I'm not afraid of dogs and they leave me be. My daughter has 2 pugs that she rescued and became part of the family. The shelter should have put both to sleep as although small, they are dangerous. The hired a trainer, dog bit the trainer. One has a shock collar put on in the morning and stays on as he has bit the entire family. As far as Dobies, Pits, and others that are banned it is most often insurance carrier regulations. Most would never hurt anyone but got a bad rep due to PEOPLE. Every pit I've been around is a sweetie, but a few people ruined a few so bad by training them to fight, keep chained outside and abuse. They will never be rid of the unfair rep.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 05:01 AM   #19
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
i guess a lot of calling ahead will work.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 07:06 AM   #20
rollingdownthehighway
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20273
I love Dobbermans, had 3 growing up and they were huge lapdogs and big babies and got all 3 from a breeder and had all 3 from puppy hood to adult life, and then that one time happened with one of our dobes. Out of the blue he went after me while he was eating. He never had a food aggression, I could put my face in his food bowl while he ate, grab his bowl and food no issues, able to pet him, etc, while he ate, but this one time, walked passed, swiped his tail, 10 stitches later, it was a very unpleasant experience.

Do I agree with CG's banning certain breeds, no, however, you just never know with some breeds. Before our bully passed, we would run into some issues with our bulldog with some CG's. Over the summer, I witnessed a poodle going after a Shepard as they walked passed their campsite and bit his leg. You just never know.
rollingdownthehighway is offline   Reply With Quote