Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
KiwiRVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9832
Campground Washington, DC?

Can anyone recommend a good, reasonably priced campground close to Washington, DC.

Thanks
Craig

KiwiRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
You should look at Cherry Hill CG in College Park MD. But its not reasonable, well, I guess it is for the area, but still pricey.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
We have used Cherry Hill CG as its well maintained and easy access...
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If you don't need a sewer hookup then the CG at Bull Run Regional Park, at Manassas, is a good alternative. Last time I checked it was a bunch cheaper than Cherry Hill. It won't have the amenities, though, but if you don't care about that and a dump station is ok for your sewage, then check it out.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:59 AM   #5
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
We stayed at Cherry Hill park. Bus transportation to DC runs directly from the park.
Johnnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #6
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We also stayed at Cherry Hill. Cost an arm and leg, but the convenience was worth it for us.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
Stayed at Cherry Hill as well.....close to everything we wanted to see, boss says very nice pool......, ice cream in store, movie night, hiking trails, shuttles available to DC subway as well. A bit costly, but for the money, no worries for us....and a non-stressful stay!
Old 05-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #8
2 for Him
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7383
I guess we are cheap, couldn't see the $65 plus per night. We stayed at Beltway National Park. INSIDE the beltway, of course no hookups, NPS never has them. Outside you can just hear the I95 and Beltway traffic. Deer came into our camp, hosts were extremely helpful, gave us a 2 page single spaced list of multiple locations of everything we could possibly need from Wally World to vet to dentist to eyeglasses on and on. One mile to the Metro. The National Park Police have their main Office at the entrance, must have seen a ranger truck every 15 minutes, maybe training?
We were there in late Sept. not hot then but might need hookups for A/C in the summer.
Oh yeah, $10 a night with our Geezer Pass.
2 for Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:16 PM   #9
gahirsh

M.O.C. #11296
After living there for 12 years you learn a few things.

Check out Reston, VA Thre is a regional park there and it is about 20-25 minutes outside DC. Reston is a very nice area with plenty of shops and things to do. The park is a few miles off of the Dulles Toll Road or you can come off Rt 7. Either way will get you there. We satyed there numerous times as we stopped to visit during fulltiming.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/l...x/fairfaxcamp/

Price is much less than Cherry Hill. You can drive directly into DC or stop at one of the many Metro parking lots and ride down that way. Avoid rush hours as it can get crowded on the roads there.

Not a ton of spots but very private and pleasant stay. Surrounded by park setting.

Hope this helps.
gahirsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:54 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Looks like I was wrong about Bull Run Regional Park's CG not having sewer hookups. They list full hookups with both 50 and 30 amp available. There is a 14-day limit, then you must leave for 4 days, just like the one in Reston. Seems to be a Fairfax County rule since both parks are in that county. Here's a link to the rates:
http://www.nvrpa.org/park/bull_run/content/camping_fees
Old 05-07-2011, 04:32 PM   #11
KiwiRVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9832
Thanks everybody, gives us plenty to look at.

Cheers
Craig
Old 05-08-2011, 02:46 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I also forgot to mention the Bull Run CG is not far from a train station. Years ago we stayed out at Haymarket (when visiting our kids/grandkids in D.C.) and when going "into town" sometimes we'd take that train. I can't recommend that CG, though. It's been sold and torn out and now the grounds are covered with condos.

I've mentioned this park several times here but don't mean to be pushing it. The others are good choices, too.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:39 PM   #13
KiwiRVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9832
Ok we decided on Bull Run Regional Park are now there. I am very impressed. We only have electricity but we filled up with water before we got here and that should last 3-4 nights. We can then fill up again at a water point in the park if we decide to stay longer which is likely.

The park is very nice with huge parallel sites which means lots of privacy and no problems about where to park the truck.

There is so much to see in D.C I am sure we could stay here a couple of weeks and not see everything. We will see how we are going after 4 nights and can extend if we decide to.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:47 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
There are, of course, all the many, many things to see in D.C. proper. One thing that's just a little ways out is Mt. Vernon. That's a truly awesome visit. Also, you're only about 90 miles from Gettysburg, PA, another truly awesome visit. But I bet you'll find two weeks is not really enough unless you flat wear yourselves out. We have granddaughters in that area and after all these years of visiting the area there are still things we have not seen. Enjoy your visit.