Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2023, 09:39 AM   #21
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
wed (above) indicated the Cummins Onan P4500i Inverter Generator and that is what I have too. (I actually have 2 of them.) They are NOT cheap. But they are good! When I run them in parallel, I can run absolutely everything in my Montana, just like I'm plugged into 50 amp shore power, without even a slight hick-up.

They are not cheap, and they are not light in weight. They say the Champion 4500 is the same identical generator just packaged in a different color. I don't know. I've never done a comparison of them, because I have no need to try both. All I know is, I've had mine for about 4 years now, they get run a lot, and so far, I've not had to do a single amount of maintenance to them (yet). Again, they power both air conditioners, microwave, electric water heater, residential refrigerator, electric fire place and 2 - 1500 watt space heaters .... all at the same time when running in parallel.
Maybe if you turn off the electric space heaters, you won't have to run both ACs

One thing I like is running off propane and not gas, so I have a Champion 3200 dual fuel inverter generator. Here's my reasons:
-like most others, I have a diesel truck and propane powered rv, so gasoline is just one more fuel to carry along.
-generators often sit for long periods of time, so unless you are handy and like cleaning carbs, propane is less maintenance as it will not gum up the carb. My champion is almost 5 years old, has never needed a carb cleaning and fires right up after sitting for months at a time.

For some reason, it doesn't seem Honda has dual fuel generators, but Champion and others seem to be expanding their lineup of these.

Last thought, we have the "Super Solar Flex" (now the Solar 1200i package) so our need for a generator has dropped right off. I now rarely carry the Champion 3200 as it weighs over a 100lbs. I am thinking of selling it, and maybe replacing it with a 2200 model, as there have been times when we have been a bit short of energy (either very warm and want more AC time, or a few days in a row of cloud). My choice to add more energy capacity is to add more battery, more solar, or both... or to carry a small generator for those unusual times; I'm leaning towards the small propane powered generator right now.

And, to the OPs original question; I've had absolutely no issues with Champion, but based on feedback from others on this forum I would consider other brands. So to reiterate, my only extra advice is to look for a dual fuel model in the size you need, for the reasons above.

hth!

Brad

Old 02-23-2023, 10:36 AM   #22
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have a Honda 3000. That I paid a thousand or a little less so I have had it for at least 20 years. I always run it out of gas and have had the carburetor off once. I use gas stabilizers in it now but that’s only in the last few years. When I had the carburetor off last year it was in perfect condition, like new. I had planned to rebuild it but there was no need and Honda has about a dozen kits and I didn’t have the serial number with me so I didn’t know which one to get so I didn’t bother.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 01:41 PM   #23
ep4me
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32135
The Cummins, Westinghouse and small rv Generac generators are the same generator made in China. Only differences are facia, color and decals.
The Westinghouse brand name was bought by a Chinese corporation to sell various products. Just like the Bell and Howell name or the Kodak name.

I don't like to support our enemies that leaves Honda Yamaha which may probably now made in china as well

There is company called Mi-T-M out of Iowa they say made USA with global sourced parts most likely Chinese too but maybe not 100% I don't have one I have a Honda 3000is which is 10 plus year old but maybe only 200-300 hours on it runs great.
ep4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 08:12 AM   #24
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Harbor freight has their generators on sale until Monday at 10% off. The 3500. Predator should be $810. It might be cheaper later this spring.
Lynwood
Old 03-03-2023, 10:11 AM   #25
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
I have the Westingtonhouse Dual Fuel 4500, and love it. Quiet, electric start, runs on gas or propane and can run both A/C units with my soft starts on them.

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...YaAjS9EALw_wcB
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 11:03 AM   #26
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
Just buy one that is already quiet
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 02:05 PM   #27
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Um... explanation about running electric heaters and air conditioners at the same time with my Onan's????? The reason I did that was to REALLY test the limitations of what the paired Onan's would do. I figured, if EVERYTHING was turned on and the generators spit out enough electricity, then under any normal use, the generators would work without any issues or anything I'd ever have to worry about. And they did. They ran flawless. I've used them multiple times since, and believe it or not, used only 1 at a time on the camper for 30 amp, which has been sufficient, since we weren't running both air conditioners at the same time.

Just an FYI for everyone else.... in order to prevent gasoline from gumming up the carburetor, turn the gas off and let the carburetor run itself dry. If you have a generator that does not have a gas shut off, then pick up a simple shut off valve that can be inserted in the gas line between the carburetor and the gas tank.

I've been doing this with all my gasoline powered motors and I've never had to clean a carburetor because it was gummed up. My oldest generator is now 20 years old. I've never touched the carburetor. It has a gas cut off, and I've always let it run dry and starve itself for gas when I turn it off. It still starts on the 1st or second pull of the cord. I turn the gas on, wait about 1 minute and then pull. Starts every time.

THAT is the biggest secret to keeping a gasoline powered engine operating good. That and keep the air filter clean!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 06:46 PM   #28
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Dumb question…can you parallel/pair inverter generators that are not the same make and model or power rating? i.e. mate a Cummins Onan with a Champion or a Westinghouse?
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 06:53 PM   #29
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
Dumb question…can you parallel/pair inverter generators that are not the same make and model or power rating? i.e. mate a Cummins Onan with a Champion or a Westinghouse?
It is my understanding you can but maybe not all brands. I would think brands made by the same Chinese company you could. Most of these are made by the same company. Example the HF Predator 3500 and the Champion 4500 are near identical units they have the same 212 CC engine the side covers are interchangeable. Someone might have a more definitive answer.
Lynwood
Old 03-03-2023, 07:57 PM   #30
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
Well, on other forum sites over the years, there have been those who say you can, and those who say you cannot.

The answer is, yes you can, at least according to the YouTube video below. However, in this video I do not think he is pulling to create a 50 amp RV situation. From what it looks like to me, he's still got 30 amps, but pulling 4000 watts.

If you have a true 50 amp hook up for your camper, you should get something like 12,000 watts. (6000 plus 6000 for each leg of 50 amps)

A 30 amp service will produce only 3600 watts.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 08:54 PM   #31
Todd & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28634
The Predator 3500 manual says it voids the warranty if you do not treat the fuel you use in it. So gumming should not be an issue. My gas stores in a can in the bed of my truck for long periods so I always treat it when I fill the gas can.
Old 03-04-2023, 09:15 PM   #32
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
I treat ALL fuel for my small engines and never have a problem with gumming up any carburetors. I LOVE my Predator 3500!
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 09:50 AM   #33
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Genmax has a new 6250 watt generator that is 50 amp RV ready for about $1400. Looks good. Google genmax generator.
Lynwood
Old 03-05-2023, 11:55 AM   #34
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Genmax sounds heavy and not very portable.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 12:05 PM   #35
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Genmax sounds heavy and not very portable.
145 pounds.
Lynwood
Old 03-05-2023, 01:13 PM   #36
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Um... explanation about running electric heaters and air conditioners at the same time with my Onan's????? The reason I did that was to REALLY test the limitations of what the paired Onan's would do. I figured, if EVERYTHING was turned on and the generators spit out enough electricity, then under any normal use, the generators would work without any issues or anything I'd ever have to worry about. And they did. They ran flawless. I've used them multiple times since, and believe it or not, used only 1 at a time on the camper for 30 amp, which has been sufficient, since we weren't running both air conditioners at the same time.

Just an FYI for everyone else.... in order to prevent gasoline from gumming up the carburetor, turn the gas off and let the carburetor run itself dry. If you have a generator that does not have a gas shut off, then pick up a simple shut off valve that can be inserted in the gas line between the carburetor and the gas tank.

I've been doing this with all my gasoline powered motors and I've never had to clean a carburetor because it was gummed up. My oldest generator is now 20 years old. I've never touched the carburetor. It has a gas cut off, and I've always let it run dry and starve itself for gas when I turn it off. It still starts on the 1st or second pull of the cord. I turn the gas on, wait about 1 minute and then pull. Starts every time.

THAT is the biggest secret to keeping a gasoline powered engine operating good. That and keep the air filter clean!
I suspected as much, but couldn't resist some good natured ribbing (that's why the smiley face)

Yes, always a good idea to run the bowl dry if getting ready for storage. And, as others have suggested, always good to use an additive in small engines, especially the last tankful before storage. I do this with my motorcycles also, even with those fuel injected.

However, fuel quality varies, and especially as ethanol has become part of the equation, I've noticed more issues with small engines in the past decade than ever before.

Again, for me, I prefer a dual fuel running on propane that removes the need to carry gasoline and avoids even thinking about any of the above. But, always lots of ways to do something, and always great suggestions on this forum!

Brad
Old 03-05-2023, 05:36 PM   #37
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
For those who have a generator without a fuel cut off like the Predator 3500 a fuel cut off is a very easy modification. Open up the front panel and you will find a very small black connector with two black wires disconnect it and now when cut the generator off it will use all the fuel in the carburetor before it stops. A better solution is to install a micro switch in the wire. You can buy the connectors at Amazon and the switch. Take the 12 volt over load switch out and push it back in the front of the generator. Then if you ever need to reinstall it just put it back in. You put your new switch back in the hole you took the other one out of. Now then the switch is on your generator will stop when you cut it off or cut the switch off and it will run until all the gas is used up in the carburetor. It’s a very easy mod.
I have some of the switches and connector wires if anyone is interested.
Another great mod is to disconnect the charcoal canister. The problem with it is gas can enter it and cause the generator to run very rich or not run at all. This happens when you overfill the tank. Which is almost impossible not to do. This happens usually on a nice hot day when the generator is most needed. You really need pictures for this mod but it’s a 5 minute job. You disconnect a couple hoses and put plugs in them. If interested you can find lots of videos on YouTube for both of these mods.
Lynwood
Old 04-01-2023, 07:30 PM   #38
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I think you can get a total of 25% off Predator generators now. 10% off and a additional 5% off for inside track club members and an additional 10% if you get a HF credit card. Inside track costs $29 dollars or close. This brings the price of the generator to $675.
Lynwood
Old 04-03-2023, 07:49 AM   #39
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Just remember, a '2000' model is 2000 peak and only 1800 watts continuous. That is only 15 amp. My A/C starts off at around 13-14 amp for a while and as the day heats up and it runs longer it works it's way up to 18 amp. So no A/C when using any 2000W models. Oh and the converter will cycle on and off at get a few more amp - as much as 5-7 or more when the battery is a little low.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 01:14 PM   #40
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
The Predator 2000 watt and many others have only 1600 running watts.
I should add to the above post. I was referring to the 3500 watt generator. It has 3000 running watts. Sorry for not adding that to begin with.
Lynwood