Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2020, 09:37 AM   #1
Dan G

M.O.C. #27640
Another newbie overnight stop question

First of all thanks to the great answers about un hooking for a overnight stop. Next question, It will be my wife and I traveling. Should I dump the Black and grey tanks each stop. I have full hookups reserved at each of the 4 overnight travel stops. Each take a shower in the rig each day. We will just take the fun "Navy" shower to not fill tanks up. Is it ok to go down the road with stuff in the tanks?
Thanks

Dan G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:15 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan G View Post
First of all thanks to the great answers about un hooking for a overnight stop. Next question, It will be my wife and I traveling. Should I dump the Black and grey tanks each stop. I have full hookups reserved at each of the 4 overnight travel stops. Each take a shower in the rig each day. We will just take the fun "Navy" shower to not fill tanks up. Is it ok to go down the road with stuff in the tanks?
Thanks
We do the same thing. You have full hookups why not dump, we do. Take a good long shower you are full hookups just dump. yes it is OK to go down the road with stuff in the tanks but not a lot of stuff .Do what you want to do. Shower, load of laundry dump when you leave.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:18 AM   #3
scuba dude
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10841
If you are staying at full hook up's each night I would dump my gray water every day before I departed. But hold my black till I reached final stop. No need to pull extra weight.
scuba dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:19 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We do both depending on the situation. If we take showers we'll dump if we just take a baby wipe wipe down then we won't. If we pay for full hookups then we will almost always dump because we paid for it and there are always some things that need to be rearranged for travel in the rig. I dump and the wife rearanges and we're ready to go at the same time.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:22 AM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Dan-- It it all personal opinion on this subject. When we are on the road and headed for a destination we normally do as you and just shower and use the bathroom and that is it. As long as you don't take 20 minute showers you should have no problem for at least several days BUT if you want to be real safe dumping can be done daily. We don't do it and we do dump our tanks every two or three days just to be on the safe side. We use a good tank cleaner/deodorizer(Happy Camper) in our tanks and it keeps the solids broke down as long as there is plenty of water in the tank. While sitting we dump every four to five days (I know, this seems excessive) but that is mainly because we have blown both the black and gray tanks by over filling them so we use caution when sitting and filling anymore. One good thing about you having reservations along the way is that you will have the opportunity to dump the tanks if you want at those stops. Enjoy and stay safe out there!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:50 AM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Agree with above, its your option.

But, we do. In fact, no matter if we have full hook-ups or have to use a dump station, I always dump my tanks when leaving the campground.

Black tank? No problem. I backflush the shower grey water into the black tank and it flushes everything out. Never a problem with any build up in the black tank, even if dumping when it's not anywhere near full.

With the aid of the black tank sprayer, there really is no need to hold off dumping when you are ready to hit the road. Fill the tank and dump. If you have water on site, then fill the black tank if you want, then dump it. A clean tank is a happy tank.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:51 AM   #7
BobStack
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25753
I agree with all above and try to dump when ever I can. One gallon of water weighs in at 8.3lbs and I try to keep her as light as I can.
BobStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:02 PM   #8
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
We do both depending on the situation. If I'm on a straight shot to get somewhere with longer days and overnites I'll not dump until the 3rd day. I could go longer but having had one tank replaced due to a crack I want no more of them (wasn't caused by running with liquid in them). For us it takes as long to deploy, or put away, the slinky and associated equipment as it does everything else to set up/break down. So IMO there is no right or wrong answer, the only caution to me is not to get the tanks full and bounce down the highway asking for something to let go.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 01:48 PM   #9
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
We do the same thing. You have full hookups why not dump, we do. Take a good long shower you are full hookups just dump. yes it is OK to go down the road with stuff in the tanks but not a lot of stuff .Do what you want to do. Shower, load of laundry dump when you leave.
Same here! Nothing better than a long hot shower and empty tanks.
Bob and Jeannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 03:39 PM   #10
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Off topic: Rereading this thread brought back a memory for me.

Basic Training, 1982, Fort Dix, NJ. Between all the classes, the PT (physical training), and clean-clean-clean, occasionally we'd get latrine breaks. Well, after a few days, everyone one of us was on the same cycle (human body cycle if you know what I mean.... )

Anyway, 45 or 50 people hitting the latrine all at the same time, and everyone needed more than 30 seconds to "sit there" and enjoy a few seconds of actual rest, meant that it simply took time to get everyone through the system.

I can still her the drill sergeant yelling outside the latrine door .... "Com'on Recruits! Cut it short and just take it with you!"

Looking back now, it kind of reminds me of dumping black tanks.... or not when breaking camp!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:47 PM   #11
Gunny B
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23153
We like to keep the valve open on the gray and just let the water run out. Keep it shut when we are close to a dumping. I like to keep something in the black tank as I think the dawn and calgon will give the tank a good wash down the road.
Gunny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:44 PM   #12
RBul31
Established Member

M.O.C. #26968
If you have short trips to next location, I would suggest not dumping one of those stops and putting your "Happy Camper" in the tank. The liquid you have in the tanks will splash around while driving and help clean out your tanks. But the other times I would drain the tanks if you have the access. Then you can take a little better shower than just a Navy SHower. :-) But once in a while Leave thanks with water/waste in them and utilize the "Happy Camper". Just my thoughts
RBul31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 05:46 AM   #13
jwengermt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26938
We travel from RV Park to RV Park and always have full hookups. I dump the tanks every morning before hooking up. My wife and i use water in the kitchen take nice showers and live like we do at home. As long as you can dump the tanks, why not. I always run some water in the black tank and dump some dish soap or tide into it while traveling to keep the sensors clean. The sensors in my black tank are always a problem.
jwengermt is offline   Reply With Quote