Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2020, 04:01 PM   #1
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Kayak recommendation

I've seen some discussion on this and know we have some experienced kayak people on the forum. We are looking for a recommendation. Requirements are:
  1. Inflatable for ease of transport
  2. Tandem that can convert to solo
  3. White water capable
  4. Beyond that, we don't know, so educate us!

Thanks

scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 04:24 PM   #2
RK & Jen
Established Member

M.O.C. #21545
Scott, please look at www.seaeagle.com. They are a bit pricey but have some good boats and kayaks.
RK & Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 05:06 PM   #3
Gary F.
Established Member

M.O.C. #26157
Yes seaeagle is the way to go- just purchased the 420X great product. Rated up to class IV
Gary F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 05:38 PM   #4
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Very experienced white water kayaker here (see pic<<<). I would not do white water in an inflatable at all. Period! end of story.

Inflatables are ok if your on flat water but trust me you don't want to tote a ripped rubber bag down a river for several miles.

One other big thing to consider is inflatables are notoriously less agile and much more difficult to paddle than a hard body. On a long day floating it makes a big difference how easily that kayak slips thru the water.

In fact the only thing that does make inflatables a good choice is they can be stored compactly. If your bound and determined to get one at least buy a good one because going cheap on an inflatable is for certain disaster! I would float in a Walmart cheap hard body before I would float in the very best most expensive inflatable.

And just because something is "rated" for whitewater does not mean it will actually hold up to it very long. I have know a few folks that tried them and I have even paddled a few for a short while. You couldn't pay me to float in one.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:35 PM   #5
Gary F.
Established Member

M.O.C. #26157
take a look at the sea eagle they are not cheap and built well, safe travels;

https://youtu.be/ardGNdwZ0aQ

white water below

https://youtu.be/UHYp9Dtil2o

https://youtu.be/ATsozV9axWc
Gary F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:46 PM   #6
Lucky23
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18031
We live on the Upper Rogue River in Southern Oregon have a https://www.seaeagle.com/SportKayaks/SE370 & Zodiak 11ft would not take it in white water
Lucky23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:05 PM   #7
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky23 View Post
We live on the Upper Rogue River in Southern Oregon have a https://www.seaeagle.com/SportKayaks/SE370 & Zodiak 11ft would not take it in white water
We live on Cadron Creek in Arkansas and run the Buffalo a lot too.

Need to trade notes sometime, I hear you have some great water up there in Oregon.
Old 07-03-2020, 07:20 AM   #8
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I have a Sea Eagle 330 and 370, they are good if you want easy to transport. Ok on flat water and maybe class II water, I've even used mine in the ocean. but not as stable as a hard side. For sure not a white water raft.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:47 AM   #9
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
On the Tandem that converts to solo. There was a hard body on the market that came in three sections and converted from tandem to solo but it had a lot of drawbacks not the least of which was the price. I'm not sure they even market it anymore but it didn't look like it would hold up very well.

Generally speaking, your going to trade performance and or reliability to get easier storage or more versatility. There is a very good reason why folks still struggle with hauling those hard side kayaks. When you get in the water, they are still the best boat. Its like golf or anything else, you have to use the right tool for the job. You don't use your putter as a driver. Same for kayaks, you don't use a sit on top in class 5 water and you don't take a squirt play boat out on the ocean.

Best general use boat would be the sit in cruisers we have. They are 10' so relatively easy to transport. They paddle easy in flat river water, have some room for fishing and handle up to light class 4 fairly well. I would say that most experienced kayakers on rivers are using something like that if they can only afford one boat. But there are tons of choices and specialized boats on the market. I don't do Class 5 anymore so my next boat will be one to replace the temporary cheap boat I am in and then I will be getting a fishing kayak which has a trolling motor to fish sheltered lakes (my friend/fishing partner has one so its a group thing).

If your not going to do above Class 3 and might want to use the boat in the Ocean then the sit on tops are a good choice. You will be exposed to the sun (so be prepared with lots of sun screen) but you won't have to worry about getting swamped like a sit in can in the surf.

In the end you have to decide what you will primarily be using the boat for and go with that.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:49 PM   #10
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Tandem boats were created by divorce lawyers. Between my wife and I I think we have 8 canoes and kayaks. Each for a specific kind of water.

So to buy one boat that does it all will be hard. Closest that I have to an everything boat is an Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro.. The closest you get to that will be the better. it is not inflatable.

And yes I used to haunt Jim's neck of the woods. and I know what Buffalo gnats taste like
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:35 PM   #11
TK1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21975
Scott,
We bought a Sea Eagle 370 Pro and are very pleased with it. They say it will hold 3 people but really 2 adults are really all you want in it. Just make sure that get the upgraded seats your back will thank you for it. Sea Eagle might cost a little more but they are worth it!
TK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:03 PM   #12
Cliffdt

M.O.C. #21262
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
On the Tandem that converts to solo. There was a hard body on the market that came in three sections and converted from tandem to solo but it had a lot of drawbacks not the least of which was the price. I'm not sure they even market it anymore but it didn't look like it would hold up very well.
Here is a site to explore Modular Kayaks. https://www.modularkayakreviews.com/

I purchased a Point 65 Tequilla GTX. This allows you to transport 2 or three sections less than 6' each. It handles fairly well, but if going in the Ocean with heavy tides and winds I am still partial to my 16' wilderness. I just cant carry in my fifth wheel.
Cliffdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 03:55 AM   #13
Zinnman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15824
We purchased a tandem kayak by Paddlenorth. We are very pleased with the quality and function. That being said, we are comfortable kayaking in lakes and easy flowing rivers. Check their website for options. Stores easily in it’s bag.
Zinnman is offline   Reply With Quote