Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2006, 06:27 AM   #41
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
If we had ordered our Monty, (we bought off the lot), we probably would not have the gas oven. We rarely used our other ones. I can't light the pilot and it does really heat up the inside of the Monty. It is so much easier and quicker to use the convection oven. BTW this is something no one ever told us - when you light the pilot if you leave the knob on pilot instead of off, the pilot light stays lit until you move the unit then you have to turn it off. Since the pilot is hard to light this is great if you are parked for a while and plan on using it again.
Happy trails........................

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:50 AM   #42
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TheCoachPotatoes

Dsprik, Why would you replace the 1/2 time oven before you even used it? We have not had a problem with ours. Like Richfaa, we are going to order the part and if we need to, we will install it or maybe install it before we need it. By the way, the 1/2 time oven is really great. Instead of standing on your head to light the regular oven and also heating up the trailer, we use the 1/2 oven. It really does a great job of baking and in half the time!
Because I don't have anything else to do with all my stinking money that I have laying around, Al...

OK, that was a joke...

Actually, I maybe be over reacting a bit. Got carried away. One thing I can do is check with the dealer and have them just go ahead and make sure that new part is ordered and put in before we even get there. It's definitely been identified as problem part, as the mfr is shipping out the free redesigned parts, so just have the dealer order it now - if the newer units don't already have this fix (a good possibility - depending on how much inventory Keystone had of these older 1/2 time ovens).

That way I don't have to wait to fix it until my favorite meal is stuck in the microwave. Of course, I'd be motivated to fix it at that point...
*On Edit~ Thanks for that tip, Sue. We will definitley be sitting for a while in most spots.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 08:15 AM   #43
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You need to call the number for the 1/2 time oven..Ovens manufactured after a certain date had the new part..I think it was April 06..Mine was built in Feb.Do a search because I posted the dates within the last 30 days.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:29 AM   #44
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
How do I know what Keystone will be installing on the 17th? A phone call on the 10th, maybe, when they start the plant back up. Sounds like a good chance I'll get the "upgraded" version. I think...
Old 07-03-2006, 12:30 PM   #45
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
I may be the only crazy person here, but I actually paid to have the gas oven removed, then cabinet shelves and doors and a stove top installed when I bought my Montana in Sept '05. Admittedly, I don't cook much, but when I need to bake potatoes or cornbread muffins (my fave) I'm very pleased with the results in the 1/2 time oven. Mostly, I just make Starbucks coffee in the coffeemaker. That's my "signature dish!"
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 02:28 PM   #46
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Dsprik, I'm sure I'd be pretty upset if the door wouldn't open and there was food in there.
This is one thing I like about this forum. It helps us to be prepared. We are ordering the part this week. It sounds like you are doing the right thing by checking out everthing and knowing ahead of time what can go wrong. Also helps when ordering your unit to know what problems people are having. We bought ours off the lot, and so far have been very happy with it. Not everyone has been that lucky.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 02:36 PM   #47
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Bill & Marge,

You got one out of several thousand good ovens that developed a problem, or was manhandled when installed, it seems.

There's not been many here willing to admit that they've had no problem with their 1/2 Time Oven.

Well, let me tell ya. We've been fulltiming with this oven for nineteen months, and it's not given us a minute of downtime.

It's all too easy to see a few gripes and make the mistake of thinking they're all bad, and don't work. If that were true, then no one would buy a Monty because there have been a bunch of reports of problems with the fivers!

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 05:46 PM   #48
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Al, I agree with you 100%. But your forgot the adjective "FAVORITE" food trapped in 1/2 time.

Steve, that's great! Can I buy yours???
Old 07-04-2006, 01:05 PM   #49
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprikSteve, that's great! Can I buy yours???

Over my hot Cinnabon!
(Just had some of those this morning, BTW! Only took about 8 minutes to make.)

Heck. If ours didn't come equipped with the gas oven, we'd have opted for the storage compartment, instead. We have never turned the gas oven on, yet.

If we did, I'm sure it'd scorch the big pots and pans that we use it for storing.

Steve
Old 07-04-2006, 01:19 PM   #50
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
I am not sure if everyone on here realizes the reason it is called 1/2 time oven is because when you use the 1/2 time oven feature it will bake in half the time. So a baked potato will take 25-30 min instead of 55 or 60. You can even cook a roast in half the time. I have only used the microwave and the 1/2 time oven feature. Have not used the convection. Not sure I understand the difference between the 1/2 oven and the convection oven. I baked chicken in it and it did come out browned. I mostly use it for casseroles.

Nita
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 01:39 PM   #51
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
I think the difference is that the "1/2 Time" function also uses some microwaves, while the "Convection" function uses only the heating coil.

How it changes is not easy to grasp, though, because it seems all the baking times are about the same for the two!

I just know that when I used foil in the thing for "1/2 Time" use, it seems to spark a little and mark the metal tray. A sure sign that there are microwaves in use.

Steve
Old 07-04-2006, 01:51 PM   #52
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Uhh... are you sure it's supposed to do that, Steve???
Old 07-04-2006, 03:19 PM   #53
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Dave,

After I saw the mark on the tray, I opened the manual.

I'm usually one to obey the manuals. But there are some things I don't want to just place on the tray, the way the manual says. So while I won't let any foil contact the tray directly, I'm going to use a plate to keep anything I feel a need to wrap, (it was a baking potato,) in foil away from that metal tray if I don't just use the "Convection" function.

I once had an old nuker I wanted to get rid of, and was so tempted to put foil in it, just to watch the sparks.

Steve
Old 07-04-2006, 06:05 PM   #54
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I'm a retired Science teacher. I loved those kind of experiments! Had to be a little careful, though... Parents always seemed to grill their kids until they sang like a bird... "OK! OK! I'll tell!!! Mr. Sprik showed us how to do this in science class." Man... even after I swore them to secrecy...

I got to tell you, though. There is nothing like teaching middle school science. As long as principal let you order what you want for chemicals... "Dave, why do you need to order so much pure Sodium?"

I did NOT say, "Because when I run out of concentrated hydrochloric acid and zinc metal to form explosive pure hydrogen (great fireballs, BTW), blowing up pure sodium is my backup "fun experiment..." (But that was the truth).

The only time in seven years of doing the "Sodium" experiment, that my principal decided to visit during this lab, I had a little too much sodium in the test tube with the water and the sodium shot too high and stuck, smoldering, in the ceiling (wasn't THAT big of a hole in the tile, and the flames died out fairly quickly...). He turned and left the room.

For some odd reason I felt the urge to add levity to the situation, so as he was leaving the room, I yelled at his back, "Well, thank goodness at least the asbestos put out the fire..." He didn't think that was very funny either... Had a note in my mailbox to see him in his office after school... We didn't really get along that well anyway. His suggestion was to cover my entire 400 sq ft ceiling in my science room with aluminum foil for these types of experiments. Yeah... right... I'll get right on that...

I can't wait to tear into that 1/2 time oven to see what I can do with it. Hope my wife doesn't need it for anything???

--------------------------------
*On Edit~ In case someone, on the off chance, might think I'm completely wacko (although, this may not dissuade many either), the above experiments were demonstrations of "Exothermic Energy Reactions (vs Endothermic Reactions)" and "Single Replacement Chemical Reactions". So there was a method to my madness. Wow, that might not have been the right thing to say either...
Old 07-04-2006, 06:24 PM   #55
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
LOL!

I'm guessing that if you let them, you'd learn a lotta tricks from the middle school students.

Heck. The only explosives fun I ever had in school was the old M-80-in-the-toilet trick.

You do sound a lot more fun than good old Mr. Wizard!

When I watch TV, these days, I make a note every time they say, "Don't try this at home," and try to guess how many kids, (and immature adults,) were already taking note and stacking up supplies.

About the foil in the nuker. I knew that was a no-no in most nukers. But I thought the more recent ones had been engineered to get around that catch, and were actually allowing some in them. After all, they DO put that whole metal tray in the 1/2 Time Oven. Surely a little foil couldn't screw things up!

Oh well.

I do know that it's very good to be able to use what is ostensibly a"nuker" to get actually browned and truly baked goods out in a hurry. (Ever try browning stuff in an early nuker, without using some kind of disguising sauce on it? Ever get a fully baked treat from an old nuker? Yuck!)

Steve
Old 07-05-2006, 09:09 AM   #56
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Rex and Mary,

I too had the very same problem with the 1/2 time oven the first week with Monty. I called service and they tried to tell me how to fix it.....right...! So, the next best thing, I took the whole microwave to the dealer, and while there, watched them fix it....what Gypsy said is exactly right (with some exception, noted below).
----
Quote from Gypsy:
Once you have the whole thing disassembled, you'll see the bracket where the nylon part connects behind the latch button by looking through the side. It's a little tricky to get the new piece on because of the shape. We had to slightly bend a metal piece in the middle of the plate behind the latch to clear a protruding piece in the middle of the nylon part. Then, after installing the part, reach in with a flat blade screwdriver to bend the metal piece back in place. That keeps the part from moving sideways. This will (hopefully) make sense when you try the 'operation.' We found it helped to spray a little silicone on the latch release inside where the new part activates opening the door, and also on the edges of the external button to make sure everything moves smoothly without sticking or hanging up.
--------
There are two "security" screws that can only be removed with the proper tool, but like someone else said, you can trace the screw head, but be aware, that the tool has to have a hole in the center of it to accomodate the "security" screw. When they reassembled the oven, I had them just leave those out....good thing, because the very same thing happened, the button stayed in again, so this time I knew I couldn't rely on service, so I fixed it myself the right way.

The lever in there fits between two metal flanges, like Gypsy said, you need to after inserting the button, bend those flanges to make a tight fit. I did better, I took an orginary plastic water bottle cap, split it down the middle and used a hot glue gun to glue it next to the flange where the button and bracket do not have the ability to move out of the grip of those flanges.

I hope this helps you and any other MOC users, I am confident that my problem has been fixed for good, if I can be of help with a better explaination, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 10:27 AM   #57
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
OK................. As I said, I'll call my dealer and make sure I NEVER have to do that! Thanks, Robbie. Now I know what I DON'T want to do...
Old 07-07-2006, 12:41 PM   #58
jimc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #380
Well, my problem with the 1/2 time is that it doesn't work now on convection or microwave. When switched on, the turntable does not rotate. I believe there must be an interlock with the turntable motor for both convection and microwave as neither the heating coil nor the magnetron comes on. Any ideas?
jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 12:43 PM   #59
jimc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #380
Well, my problem with the 1/2 time is that it doesn't work now on convection or microwave. When switched on, the turntable does not rotate. I believe there must be an interlock with the turntable motor for both convection and microwave as neither the heating coil nor the magnetron comes on. Any ideas?
jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 04:41 PM   #60
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Jim-
We just got the microwave back from the shop. The turn table motor had failed because of a cup of coffee that was left inside before we hit the road, turned over and spilled. The bad news for you is I know there is not an interlock as both the 1/2 time and convection part would work without the turn table rotating, at least it did on ours.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote