Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2021, 05:54 PM   #1
ADP1723
Established Member

M.O.C. #29275
Collision Damage Repair - Replacement Body Panels

So a few months ago, we had our 2007 Mountaineer Edition 342pht down in Mexico, and long story short, our GPS glitched on us while driving through Tijuana and we wound up in a really bad situation where we had no choice but to scrape the side of our trailer against some concrete barriers. Luckily the damage was pretty cosmetic and it didn't cause any "major" damage, but the tan aluminum panels that run along the side/curve under the bottom of the trailer got completely crushed (as you can see in the pictures below).

So does anyone know where I might be able to find replacement aluminum panels like these??? ...or have any recommendations on how to fix this without spending a ton at an RV repair shop?

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=d...lIhww2k9X5w6u7

ADP1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 08:18 PM   #2
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADP1723 View Post
So a few months ago, we had our 2007 Mountaineer Edition 342pht down in Mexico, and long story short, our GPS glitched on us while driving through Tijuana and we wound up in a really bad situation where we had no choice but to scrape the side of our trailer against some concrete barriers. Luckily the damage was pretty cosmetic and it didn't cause any "major" damage, but the tan aluminum panels that run along the side/curve under the bottom of the trailer got completely crushed (as you can see in the pictures below).

So does anyone know where I might be able to find replacement aluminum panels like these??? ...or have any recommendations on how to fix this without spending a ton at an RV repair shop?

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=d...lIhww2k9X5w6u7
You can order the aluminum piece it’s called jwrap either from your local dealer, Trekwood.com or an aluminum fabrication shop could make you a piece and then you just need to paint it.
bleedmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 08:46 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I'm not sure if you would fine parts that old, but trekwood.com usually has Montana replacement parts they are expensive, however and you might be better off at the body shop. If you google rv junk yards or parts yards you might be able to find what your looking for on an old junked Monty.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 11:40 AM   #4
ADP1723
Established Member

M.O.C. #29275
Thank you guys! Just knowing it's called a Jwrap alone is very helpful!
ADP1723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 06:23 AM   #5
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
I think the panels are steel vice aluminum. Regardless, I suspect you'll never find replacements, except maybe in an RV junkyard, and very few of them exist. I've watched enough YouTube videos to know that sheetmetal craftsmen exist out there, particularly in the vintage auto restoration realm. The panel doesn't look too complicated to my inexperienced eye, so maybe try to find that type of business to call.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:59 AM   #6
Andy Smith
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25951
I had a similar situation last year and found a RV dealer that ordered the parts for us and sent a guy out to take off the old and replace. It was pretty involved to cut the new sheets to match the openings for the low point drains and propane lines, took him about four hours. Parts and labor were about $600, so I considered it a deal. This was in Parkersburg WV.
Old 11-07-2021, 11:24 AM   #7
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Get with a good dealer. He can order it for you. It will be the color you need. It will be one full length and will come in a long built crate. The metal is approximately 250.00 and the shipping was, approximately 250.00 a couple years ago. Order your other parts at the same time
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 01:59 PM   #8
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
The J-wrap is pretty easy to remove and reinstall. If it were my rig, I'd remove the J-wrap, take it to a metal fab shop and ask them to make a new one. Then to a body shop to get it painted and then reinstall it. You can buy 16 foot lengths of J-wrap from RV materials suppliers but the shipping cost is off the charts due to the size.
Old 11-10-2021, 04:56 PM   #9
jwengermt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26938
I replaced a smaller panel on the passenger rear. Checked with the local RV dealer. They said they could order it and it would take about 3-4 months. Cost around $600.00 I went to a local metal works shop and they made me a new panel for $120 then took it to a body shop and had it painted for another $150.00. this process only took about two weeks. I kept the old part for the body shop and they matched the paint color perfectly.
2004 Chev 2500 HD
jwengermt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 08:47 PM   #10
RBul31
Established Member

M.O.C. #26968
Thumbs up Replacing Lower Panel.

I just went through the Replacement of the lower panel on my Rig.
Surprising enough it is pretty easy.
1. The side panels come together under the trim strip down the side. Take that rim strip off and you will see it.
2. Uninstall all the trim pieces at the front, Underside, at the door area. Then the side panel will come off fairly easy.
3. Like many of the others has stated, If you can get a sheet metal shop to use your old panel as the template and cut you one out it will save you a lot of money. If you go to a RV shop and order the panel you will still have to use the template and cut out the openings BUT the shipping cost will eat you alive. When you find out what the RV Shop will charge for the panel.....Double it. The shipping charges are at least that much and with Gas going up...The sky is the limit.
4. Have an Auto Body shop Color match and paint it. You can get color matched paint at Auto Zone but it comes in Spray cans and cost about $18. a can and doesn't cover as well as a body shop.
5. When you get it ready to re-install get some help to slide it into place. It isn't heavy just awkward to handle and get all the edges to slide into the place you want them.
6. I replaced all the trim pieces. They don't give these away either and finding the Correct Color, Size and type of trim is not the easiest. Even the rubber inserts are a challenge. I actually put on some different trim pieces with inserts that raise up higher so I had room to fish wires. Adding cameras , lights or signals/sensors are a little easier with the taller Inserts.

When I reinstalled the panels I painted them with Pick-up bed liner material. It actually dressed up the sides and my hope is that it will reduce the rock chips and minor road damage.
I had not attempted anything like this before I had this need, but it went very well and I learned alot about my RV while doing it. I would suggest that you research the trim pieces, the inserts, replacement screws, the price of Panels and Painting prices to get a good estimate. I figured it had to be done because having the dented Panel was driving me crazy so I just jumped into it. Now I am going to repair and/or replace my roof and change out the flooring inside the main living area. I had so much fun that it gets addictive to continue with more DYI projects.
RBul31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 05:36 AM   #11
jwengermt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26938
Working on these things is fun and addictive. Once you get started, one thing leads to another and you end up doing more than the original plan. Ours needed a remake. We've done the major stuff, such as carpet, flooring and some plumbing updates. New pin box, new tires, and many little repairs as the prior owners were not good on fixing the little things. Still have many things we want to do, but it will wait till next summer. It's ready for AZ in another month.
2004 Chev 2500 HD
jwengermt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 10:40 AM   #12
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Can you go through insurance? That looks like a costly repair to get it right.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 04:37 AM   #13
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
We had ours damaged at a dealer last year. They replace it at no cost to me with many apologies. It came in just a plain length and they had to make cutouts for doors and wheels and then paint it to match. They did a good job and I have no idea what it cost them but the j-wrap was easy to get.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote