Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2021, 03:53 PM   #21
RickyRobert
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27598
Sounds like Bierp just cast a vote for the Hughes Autoformer that I posted a few days ago. Would have boosted the power to a perfectly acceptable level. To be doubly cautious, I always check the pedestal power using my older model Progressive before plugging in the Autoformer, looking for super high voltage since anything above 126/128 is a very bad thing. If I remember correctly, the Progressive high voltage cutoff is well above 130, too high for my liking, or, should I say, my RV's rather expensive electricals.

2020 3931FB (every option but exterior kitchen)
2019 RAM 3500 DRW 4X4, HO Turbo Diesel, 4.10 Axle
B&W Companion 25K OEM Puck System
RickyRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 04:55 PM   #22
amyed
Established Member

M.O.C. #25043
My first rig had hardwired Progressive 30amp EMS done at Escapade. While working in CA new owner of park sent surge up the line within the park. Outside plug would not come off the rig. I found the plug "fused" on both inside and outside. I bought and installed new parts. Nothing in the rig was harmed. Called progressive support and they told me how to bypass the surge protector until they could send me a replacement part. Three days later all was fixed. I wish I had saved the damaged plug.
My current rig has a hardwired 50amp.
amyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:22 PM   #23
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Hard wired Progressive with remote readout.
Old 03-10-2021, 07:12 PM   #24
LERD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27487
Plug in 30 amp progressive EMS. This won't be my last rig so it will travel with me. It has a lock ring and I keep two long shackle padlocks with me. Except if my next rig is 50 amp, .... well looks like I'll need a different one. Lol
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:46 PM   #25
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
I also use the plug-in type of EMS. Use a heavy cable bike lock and run the cable through fitting on EMS and around the pedestal. This will discourage most people from trying to steal it. Also plug EMS into pedestal and check power before hooking up to trailer. Been using this for 10 years.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:54 AM   #26
Leonard R.
Established Member

M.O.C. #26577
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamMike View Post
Hi everyone, I was curious what type of surge protection is used the most? Plug in protection or wired in EMS?
We use the Progressive Industries "dog bone" style EMS. I also use a cable lock to attach it to the electrical pedestal when camping to ensure it doesn't "walk away". Either hardwired or external, do yourself a favour and ensure that you purchase an EMS and NOT just a surge protector. So much more protection with an EMS.
Leonard R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:20 AM   #27
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Hardwired Progressive in last two rigs. Company is great and backs up their product.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:00 AM   #28
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
You'll find the answer is probably about 50/50.

I have always used portable. But in one camper, I installed the portable inside the camper and just left the plug accessible through the mouse hole. I'd then plug in an extension from shore power to the hidden portable.

Currently, using a portable Progressive EMS. It's on over 2 years strong, plugged in non-stop since we purchased the camper. I did find out it doesn't work when powering the camper from my generators though. But the generators have their own power protection, so no concern there. But I tried anyway, just out of curiosity.

I do keep a bicycle cable for a lock down with the protector. I did have one walk away, many years ago. I've made sure it's always locked down at the shore power post.

I have both a 30 amp (Hughes) and a 50 amp (Progressive). I have used the 30 amp with our 50 amp Montana a couple times when we were at a campsite that did not have 50 amp service.

Here's our set up at home:

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:46 AM   #29
Randy E
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21626
I use a portable EMS. It has a metal loop on it, and I run a cable lock through the loop and around the shore power pole to secure it. It takes 5 seconds to lock it up. I love it. It has saved me a couple of times and without having any coach issues. The first time the supply wires melted down and burnt completely off the shore power plug. I wasn't even using power. It was damaged prior to us using it. I heard what sounded like an arc welder. I walked around and saw smoke rolling out of the conduit below the plug. My EMS had tripped and shut everything off without any damage. As for the supply power, they had to run new wires all the way to the plug and replace the conduit. I won't travel without my EMS now. The digital display also helps you balance your load. Easy to read too.
2016 Chevy DD 4x4
Randy E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:50 AM   #30
hemiallen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28242
My Daughter and SIL purchased a southwire surgeguard 30a from Campingworld and it , as the warranty information says " it is designed to sacrafice itself".

I am going to install a progressive for him as soon as he purchases it. I there a preferred model you would recommend? I looked at ones for sale, probably should go to their website to see what options they sell.

Allen
hemiallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:09 AM   #31
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiallen View Post
... I there a preferred model you would recommend? I looked at ones for sale, probably should go to their website to see what options they sell.

Allen
Progressive, any model. Hands down!

Maybe not the cheapest, and maybe not a huge difference in sale price between suppliers, but Progressive has traditionally been the most favored because of it's technology and because of their warranty.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:37 AM   #32
jloftice
Established Member

M.O.C. #13211
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamMike View Post
Hi everyone, I was curious what type of surge protection is used the most? Plug in protection or wired in EMS?
Had a Southwire/Surgeguard on our 5th wheel and same on our new Entegra coach. I chose it due to it's performance and the fact that the unit itself has a lifetime warranty and they warranty any damage to your unit should the surge protector fail to do the job as advertised.

Ours is a 34951 portable unit. Also purchased the bluetooth repeater so it can be monitored from inside though it's not really something I look at unless there is a problem. Bought it from Techno RV.
jloftice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 11:26 AM   #33
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Portable EMS. When I worried about it walking off I put a chain around it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote