Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 02-26-2021, 09:30 AM   #1
hemiallen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28242
Montana 3120- inverter for chair, tv, kitchen?

Hello, about to order the Montana and I am confused by the dealers answers. Long story, but first, does the Montana come from the factory with an inverter to run the chairs, tv, etc 5 outlets mentioned in the solar package?

If not, here is the long version:

Ordering Montana 3120rl- IB Generator AND solar?
Looking to purchase our 3rd RV, our current Rockwood 8288 with 4 golfcarts and mostly dry camping I have done well with a portable honda 2000 to keep the batteries charged. Usually run the Gen every 2 days for ~3 hours, I always keep the batteries above 12.2 with notifications from a digital battery monitor. Loads seem to be mostly led lights and heater fan at night to keep the rv at 45f. Ramping up the temp at 4am usually shows a big drain on the batteries, realizing during fan operation it gets to 12.2 but recovers when the fan is off. It still doesn't last 2 days without 3 hours of generator recharging getting them back up to 12.78-ish.

Wanting the convenience of not going outside in the AM to run the gen to operate an electric coffee maker, and possibly the Microwave.... I want to get the optional 5500 factory generator. Also want to utilize the 110v ports to run the chairs, kitchen outlets which it says can run the coffee maker ( no mention of micro) it looks like their 265w single solar panel $2250 optional solar package with inverter is the way to go.

I assume the trailers system controls those 110v ports so it determines Inverter vs generator to power those? Seems the do it yourself's suggest manually turning off main breakers for shore / generator option, when adding your own inverter. Wanting to just add my own inverter vs buying solar system ($$), is there a good option for home- installed 2000w inverter easier than manually turning off breakers to avoid conflict when the Generator is running, or is it best to buy the solar package for Recliners, tv, coffee pot and possible micro operation without having to run the generator?

Thanks

Allen

hemiallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:51 AM   #2
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
I added my own. I removed all outlet circuits from the main panel and routed them to a sub panel in the basement.

That sub panel (grey box on far right) is fed via a 30A transfer switch (black box with yellow sticker on wall) with it's two inputs coming from a 30A breaker in the main panel (where the outlet breakers were) and the other from a 3000W power inverter (big black box on the left). All outlets are run via the inverter until I plug in. Then transfer switch moves all outlets from battery power to shore power. Unless we need to do laundry or run the AC there is virtually no need to plug in or run our portable 3000W generator.

R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:00 AM   #3
hemiallen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28242
Nice setup. Thank you

So I assume you're running several solar panels with that nice battery-inverter system? My problem is, we dry camp under pine tree's 90% of the time, I believe going solar VS the generator would require a large panel on the ground, and constantly moving it for full efficiency. Hate to ask, but what rough $ have you invested in the system?

Thank you

Allen

PS, I just found a way to contact Keystone help, she said every Montana comes solar prepped, so all I need is to install an inverter, so wiring isn't an issue, but not 100% sure if a transfer switch is also needed.
hemiallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:02 PM   #4
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Allen,

Welcome to the forum!

When you install an inverter, highly recommend a hybrid unit. It will have a built in transfer switch and be able to augment your genny or low amp shore power.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 01:35 PM   #5
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiallen View Post
Nice setup. Thank you

So I assume you're running several solar panels with that nice battery-inverter system? My problem is, we dry camp under pine tree's 90% of the time, I believe going solar VS the generator would require a large panel on the ground, and constantly moving it for full efficiency. Hate to ask, but what rough $ have you invested in the system?

Thank you

Allen

PS, I just found a way to contact Keystone help, she said every Montana comes solar prepped, so all I need is to install an inverter, so wiring isn't an issue, but not 100% sure if a transfer switch is also needed.
Thanks.

We have 1,200 watts of solar on the roof:

An updated picture of the battery bank:

My best guess is somewhere around $8,000 invested but we are 95% off grid so with the savings in fees we are recouping that pretty quick.

Our system is positively analog compared to some. The one AZ Traveler is talking about is probably more typical. An example can be found here:

https://youtu.be/AXzpcnLcj_g
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 01:50 PM   #6
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Here are some videos of the solar wiring.
I've got my solar system installed but can't put the panels on the roof yet (too cold). I could not wait to test it so I made an extension cord adapter to connect the panels to the MPPT.
I've also ordered a Renogy 60A DC to DC charger to charge the batteries when I don't want to drag along a generator. Just adds a little diversity to power sources.

Jaboni/Montana solar prep
https://youtu.be/mhE9pSum_nA

Jaboni/Montana solar install
https://youtu.be/gn3BIWaSb4c
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar test 8.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	8552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar panel test.jpg
Views:	36