Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2020, 03:29 PM   #1
tomJerram
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21376
Any Idea what this is (or was)

After moving my 2014 3526FB I found this laying in the driveway. Based on the color and the fact that I didn't see it before I assume it came from the 5th wheel but I cant see where it might have come from and have no idea where to start looking id had two round pieces on perforated as shown in the picture and on solid that broke into many pieces they were held together by a single bolt thru the center.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper what is this.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	7841  

tomJerram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 04:16 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
That's the bottom half of one of your attic vent covers. You should have one towards the front and one towards the rear of your roof.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 04:25 PM   #3
tomJerram
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21376
Hum,. Never thought to look on the roof. No trees near where I was.

Thanks for your help
Old 11-20-2020, 04:29 PM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
There's a chance I'm wrong, but it sure looks like what's left of an attic vent. Like everything else up there, it is subject to UV all it's life. They get brittle and crumble just like your crank up roof vents.
Old 11-20-2020, 04:55 PM   #5
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
There's a chance I'm wrong, but it sure looks like what's left of an attic vent. Like everything else up there, it is subject to UV all it's life. They get brittle and crumble just like your crank up roof vents.
There is zero chance you are wrong. That is 100% what it is. I just last week took my covers off to inspect, and that is exactly what is under the cover.

The OP better get on that roof asap and inspect before it rains and flood the camper.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:01 PM   #6
boisesmith
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23951
Can you explain (maybe even photos) of the attic vent and what is meant by 'taking the covers off'. We are on our 9th fiver and I don't know what the vents are.
boisesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:08 PM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Wow ... 9 fivers and you've never been up on the roof and noticed these covers in addition to your regular crank up roof vents?
https://www.amazon.com/Keystone-Univ...5917258&sr=8-5
The plastic dome usually just unscrews from the stud you see in the photos. Righty tighty ... lefty loosy
Old 11-20-2020, 05:15 PM   #8
boisesmith
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23951
Thanks. Live and learn huh?
boisesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:20 PM   #9
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I worded my reply badly, but I'm pretty much known for that on the MOC.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:34 PM   #10
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Well, I've had 3 travel trailers and one fifth wheel now. I've seen those vents on the roof, but never had one apart. Checking the link above, I've never seen what's inside that dome. So, for the OP, don't feel bad. If it were mine, I would not have a clue either that it came from the roof.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:44 PM   #11
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
I've never seen what's inside that dome. So, for the OP, don't feel bad. If it were mine, I would not have a clue either that it came from the roof.

Me neither. Nearly 40 years and 5 trailers and I wouldn't have known what that was. I'm glad there's a place like this where someone will know and help.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:04 PM   #12
tomJerram
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21376
Thanks for all the help

That sure is what it looks like. I will go up top tomorrow and check it out. From the looks of that part the UV has not been kind to things up there. I better see how many there are order replacements.

Thanks to all for helping me figure this out.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:53 PM   #13
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
If you search long enough you will find you can just buy the mushroom cap without buying the entire vent itself.
Old 11-21-2020, 05:59 AM   #14
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Not all campers have attic vents. My Mountaineer doesn't have them. They are pretty much a waste of time as there are no soffit vents to get air circulation.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:14 AM   #15
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
Originally Posted by psomers View Post
Not all campers have attic vents. My Mountaineer doesn't have them. They are pretty much a waste of time as there are no soffit vents to get air circulation.
If you have ever been on the roof close to the mushroom on a hot summer day you would realize they do create some exhaust. Where soffit vents help roof vents circulate air, these units aren't built so tight that they prevent the mushroom vents from creating some draw. It was explained to me they are mostly to prevent condensation in the attic. I have helped several friends with issues on their RV's and can confirm as stated, not all manufacturers utilize them.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:19 AM   #16
rslopez65
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19789
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
If you search long enough you will find you can just buy the mushroom cap without buying the entire vent itself.
Ours is one piece in that the cap does not screw off. It shattered one night when we were at a campground with oak trees. Those acorns can do quite a bit of damage when they fall from a great height.

Not sure how to replace it because it looks to be tucked under the roof. Right now we have just used tape to hold what's left of it in place.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:43 AM   #17
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslopez65 View Post
Ours is one piece in that the cap does not screw off. It shattered one night when we were at a campground with oak trees. Those acorns can do quite a bit of damage when they fall from a great height.

Not sure how to replace it because it looks to be tucked under the roof. Right now we have just used tape to hold what's left of it in place.
Are you sure the cap will not unscrew Lefty Loosey. Gently try and take the cap off of the other existing one. I've never seen one that is one piece.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:57 PM   #18
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
As badly damaged as that part is and the other part “in many pieces” I would be concerned about roof damage where it was pulled out. It had to have caught on something fairly sturdy to do that. Any overhead wires or other things it might have hit when moving?
In any event, if you do not store it covered you need to cover that to keep rain out until you repair it.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:25 PM   #19
tomJerram
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21376
That is exactly what it was. When I went on the roof I checked the othere atic vent. I simply touched it and it disintegrated. UV is hard on things on the roof. I ordered replacements. I will be checking for UV damage on rooftop things much more often now.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:18 PM   #20
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
This might help in the future

If you are replacing the attic vents/sewer vents, stove/fridge vents they are all basically the same material. We have an 08 Big Sky and have had to replace all of them at least once. I have found that two coats of Krylon white for PVC greatly helps extend this interval. It protects the plastic from the UV that just sucks the life out of them and it keeps them from yellowing..
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote