Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2019, 11:59 AM   #1
Bnrc73
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21597
Black tank overflow

2010 Montana 3400RL. Went to dump my black tank today. Before dumping I held the flush on the toilet open to top off the tack for a better flush. Before I could see water in the toilet the DW hollers and says I have water leaking under the trailer. Sure enough I had water coming through the underbelly covering. I thought the black tank was a closed system. That if it filled us up it would push out the vent on top of the trailer. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks in advance.

Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:31 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Bad news for you. All the tank systems are built as "closed". Your year RV has a 2 piece tank. A tub and a flat top lid. While sealed together, it doesn't take too much to unstick them. Filling the tank to the toilet level definitely puts a lot of pressure on the lid. My guess is the tank is split at the bottom due to wight of the contents or the top has separated. You will have to drop the coroplast and diagnose where the leak is.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:38 PM   #3
Bnrc73
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21597
Didn’t need to here that. Time for some old clothes. Thank you very much for your quick response. Time to get dirty. Think I’ll put in new dump valve cables while I’m in there.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:47 PM   #4
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Might check here for replacement. They have rotomold poly tanks also. When it's time this is the way I'm going to go.
https://www.plasticwatertanks.com
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:06 PM   #5
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
As posted many times here (and I agree since I did it) put in a new Valtera valve system. My old one took a full grip on the handle and much strength to open. The new one I can open with one or 2 fingers.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:00 PM   #6
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
May as well change the grey while you are at it. The one piece tank is the way to go. Also ensure that the supports that the tanks hang on fit closely to the tank. I would (did) replace the cable pull valves for straight rod pulls.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:40 PM   #7
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I was lucky several years ago when our grey tank developed a crack in the bottom. I was able to repair the tank in place and then installed braces and blocking to support both the grey tank and the black tank. I have no worries now about having full tanks prior to dumping, which is especially nice when we dry camp at Quartzsite, and have gone eight days prior to dumping with very full tanks. This is the link showing the repair and the way I supported my tanks. http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ght=plastimend
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:54 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We learned to not fill any of the tanks to near capacity. Here at our Florida residence we dump the black tank every 3 days and leave the gray tanks open. We have also had new valves installed and the tanks properly braced on both our Montana's.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:05 AM   #9
Dmcgrew
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13564
I have had all three tanks fail on my 2014 3402RL. I was amazed at how light the plastic was that the tank was made of !! I installed supports below the tanks and did not have any problems after that modification.
Dmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:19 PM   #10
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I spoke with the manufacturer of the two piece tanks that Keystone often uses. They say that the two piece tanks are not being installed correctly as they are not designed to hang solely on the flange. Extra support on the bottom is the only way to get any life out of this style tank.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:16 PM   #11
Bnrc73
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21597
Opened us the bottom and couldn’t visually see the leak. With extra eyes we braced the tank and filled it with fresh water. When it was almost full the water cascaded down the whole inside edge of the tank. Didn’t take a rocket sientist to know the upper cap has let go. No one can fix it on site(EPA). We plan on dumping every few days and riding out the winter. The dealer I bought it from is right on our way home, so planning on dropping it off there in April to be fixed or replaced. If it’s just the edge broke loose I’m thinking it can be fixed. There is already two angle iron braces, but seeing how it sagged with the bottom off, I plan on adding one or two more angle irons to the mix. Seeing this setup I believe more is better. Thanks for all your inputs.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:53 PM   #12
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Sounds like the two piece tank. If under warranty don't let the dealer fix it. Insist on a new tank. Also, notice the brackets the tank hangs on. They should be very close to the sides of the tanks. If there is gap there it will not be as supportive as it should be. If it is two piece, support from below will be required.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:18 PM   #13
daleyruss

M.O.C. #21187
We just had this happen two weeks ago while in Oregon and an 8" section from the top separated from the pan. I had a 3" and 1-1/2" rubber pipe connectors from a hardware store, cut the pipes, lowered the tank with a 3x4 plywood on top of a floor jack. Tap Plastics recommended to reseal with MEK but it is not legal in CA. I separated the area with a plastic stick so that I could brush in the acetone to clean the surfaces, let dry thoroughly and then used a medium black ABS cement mixed with ABS shavings, clamped it together and let it sit for 24 hours. This seemed to have sealed it up fine with no leaks. Ours had an 1-1/2" gap between metal piece and the tank so we added extra support between the tank and the metal brace. Total cost for everything was under $40.
daleyruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:30 PM   #14
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnrc73 View Post
Opened us the bottom and couldn’t visually see the leak. With extra eyes we braced the tank and filled it with fresh water. When it was almost full the water cascaded down the whole inside edge of the tank. Didn’t take a rocket sientist to know the upper cap has let go. No one can fix it on site(EPA). We plan on dumping every few days and riding out the winter. The dealer I bought it from is right on our way home, so planning on dropping it off there in April to be fixed or replaced. If it’s just the edge broke loose I’m thinking it can be fixed. There is already two angle iron braces, but seeing how it sagged with the bottom off, I plan on adding one or two more angle irons to the mix. Seeing this setup I believe more is better. Thanks for all your inputs.

Those braces do nothing for the tanks as they are installed, more there to hold up the coroplast. There needs to be blocking between the braces and the bottom of the tanks so the braces will actually support the bottom of the tanks.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 04:58 PM   #15
Reeltirement

M.O.C. #20543
I had a problem recently that may be related to your black water tank leaking. The vent pipe was not supported properly and it fell down 4 inches into the tank which gave me a improper fill level. There is a rubber grommet bushing that also fell into the tank I had to pry it up and secure it back on the tank serface. It’s easy to see if your 1/1/2 vent pipe has fallen into the tank. Go on your roof and remove the vent pipe cap. The vent pipe should be all the way up to the top of the vent cap.Mine had fallen down below the rubber roof level. You have to cut the vent pipe and install a coupling to make this repair, you should also secure the pipe to the vent cap with a stainless steel screw so it doesn’t happen again. Good Luck !
Reeltirement is offline   Reply With Quote