Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-29-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Did you know this was on your fridge?

For those of us who seasonal RV here's a little factory item that some of us may or may not know we have. Instead of propping the fridge door open with a towel or curtain rod when our fivers are not in use ... here's a built in latch that holds the doors on your fridge and freezer open to keep them from getting smelly during storage times. They just pop out or in with your finger.

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Yup! I use this feature when I put it into the storage lot. Thanks for the heads up. I'll bet there are some out there that weren't aware of this feature.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:05 PM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

What brand of refrigerator has these?
I tried to find it on ours but it doesn’t have this feature.
Ours is Dometic.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:53 AM   #4
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
It's a Norcold and the little buggers break off easily.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:58 AM   #5
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
Thanks for the tip.I will check to see if ours has it.
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:06 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I did not know that those were there, but I usually level the rig in storage, which allows the doors to remain open without any propping required. I will be doing a little investigating nonetheless, they could serve as a "backup" system in the event of high winds or similar rocking the rig and possible causing a door to swing shut??
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:17 AM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
When ours is stored for long time, I clean out, really clean, then, DRY, very DRY. Then, I stuff freezer and frig with crumpled newspaper, shut door, click it shut.

This method has proven totally successful time and time again. Only time I had any problem was when the unit was not TOTALLY dry inside before I shut the doors.

I use this for all coolers too, and, it sure works!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:29 AM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
posted: "It's a Norcold and the little buggers break off easily"

I reckon you just have to remember they are extended and not slam the door on them. I've used mine for a year and a half with no troubles.
I too have always used the newspapers ... but have always left the doors slightly ajar. An open box of baking powder sorta works too.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:54 AM   #9
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I let mine sit a day with doors open, after cleaning, the put in newspaper without crumpling, just a couple of days worth in a stack a never have any problems. The door is closed and all is ok. On the 3000rk, when the fridge door is open and slide is in I have a sign hanging over the slide switch panel that says "do not open slide, fridge door open!" if not ya gotta big crunch problem!
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:19 AM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Different type of "hold-em" open on the Norcold 1210, but it works well and there is nothing to pull out or shut agains. When the door is opened it has to be pushed shut to close. It will not close on itself without a little force.

With the temperatures we have in Texas, it just requires wiping down. It is just a matter of a few hours and the inside will be dry, but we still leave the door open.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:02 AM   #11
Rancher Will
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11227
All of these ideas are interesting. For decades we have just left the doors open when stored for a time, with an open box of Soda in the campartments.

I mentioned the newspaper idea to my wife and she says she is not interested for the reason that the newspaper would taste like paper. Do you think she is trying to tell me something?
Rancher Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:46 AM   #12
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Rancher Will, Not sure if I should giggle or take ya serious there on the newspaper.

SOOOO, I'll follow up with a couple of other points, and why we do the newspaper CLOSED door thingy.

If for some reason we would need to move Tana, like take her for a repair or something, it is just one less thing we have to worry about. The door is shut. Period. Ya, we have moved down the road with the door open. Hopefully this will keep us from ever doing that silliness again. HOPEFULLY!!

I also use this method at home while we are gone for the winter, this year we were gone for 8.5 months, the frig at home was cleaned out, dried out, and stuff with newspaper, doors closed. Came home, removed newspaper, turned on frig, in just a few minutes it was cooling, I started moving food from Tana to the house frig. There was no newspaper smell once the papers were removed from the house. Frig smells nice and fresh.

I don't want the doors open in the stickbuilt, because, well, one year we came home to a real horrible mice infestation. When I say horrible, I mean REALLY H*O*R*R*I*B*L*E. If the doors had been open, I am sure the mice would have been in the frig. They were in the toaster, mmm, the ex-toaster. No way I was going to use that toaster again. NOPE, NO WAY, NADDA, NOT ME!!

I don't know why the newspaper works, I just know it has been infallible for me for years.

Everyone have a great day. We are in the process of cleaning Tana getting ready (hopefully) to hit the road again soon. First the Fall Rally and then??? for the winter - -
Old 08-30-2011, 10:46 AM   #13
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
I actually thought it was a lock so the doors wouldn't come open, until I messed with them abit and came to the same conclusion that you did.
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:53 PM   #14
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Newspaper ink has a bacteria killing property. You can always use newspapers when you need a clean surface--When I was in Public Health nursing many moons ago we used newspapers to put our bags on when we went into homes (self explanatory) and also as a suface to put dressings, etc on.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:37 PM   #15
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
When you say fill up the fridge w/newspaper, do you crumble up the sheets or just stack a bunch of newspapers inside?
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:38 AM   #16
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Just wad up 3 - 4 pages into balls about softball sized and throw em in ... at least that's my method. As stated ... it's the ink that absorbs ordors. I've never noticed "newspaper smell" once in use again.

Totally off subject, but try newspaper to dry off windshield or windows on your house after spraying window cleaner ... streak free!
Old 08-31-2011, 05:08 AM   #17
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I crumble, semi-loosely, if there is such a thing!

I don't think the method matters much, except that I would not just stack some papers in there. My take, which is not worth 2 cents LOL is that the extra surface created by crumbling creates more surface for odor and moisture absorbing. I do stuff every drawer with some papers, every shelf with some papers, both in the freezer and the frig side.

Cheers
Old 08-31-2011, 07:11 AM   #18
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I never have newspaper around and I've heard many benefits of newspaper because of the ink therefore I'm not surprised this works. If you don't want the stink of paper, then you are probably using a TABLOID gossip type publication.

I use a plastic thingy I bought from an RV store that keeps both the freezer and fridge doors propped open. I also had to add some hook and loop to keep THAT thing in place. We also put the arm & hammer stuff to help with odors just in case. No stinky fridge for us, so far. I have such a long list of pre-trip and post-trip procedures that this is just one of those things and overall doesn't add much time either way.

The important thing is to do something. Stinky plastic storage equipment really sucks (fridge, coolers, water jugs, etc.). Once a stink starts it's a pain to get rid of. Thanks for the additional tips.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote