Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2008, 02:17 AM   #1
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
fresh water tank

My 06 owner's manual says I should sanitize the fresh system annually which I am about to do for 09. When reviewing the instructions I noticed this:
"Water should be drained from the fresh water system when not in use for more than 1 week."

Opps. That sounds like I should have the tank empty most of the time except on travel days (for the toliet or boondocking).

What is the correct way to do this so the water is safe for consumption?

Thanks to all,
Gene

genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:37 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Gene,

Most of us break that rule, I just bet!

However, Al and I rarely use that water for drinking, sometimes not even for brushing teeth. Depending on how long it had been in that tank, I guess I would think twice about it for cooking my spagetti too, eh?

I'll bet a google of something like, "how long before water turns stagnent" might turn up some interesting and scary facts on stuff that goes bad in standing water??

Besides, many of us boondock or use campgrounds that have no water service at the campsite and we load up and use that water for 5 to 15 days. Disclaimer on the directions, NOT IN USE for more than 1 week.

soooo, is there a difference in standing water that you are using, and standing water that is not run through the lines??

wow, we could go lots of places with this one, eh??

Lets go with that is a CYA for trailer manufacturers???

Cannot wait to read more responses on this one!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:28 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We've had water in our tank for as long as six months without any problem of stagnation, smell, or bad taste. I believe that if your tank is kept full you will have less chance of anything happened to the water. Oh yes, we do add one ounce of Purogene to each tank of fresh water when we fill. When dry camping, Marge uses the water to cook with without any adverse affects.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 04:49 AM   #4
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
While traveling, we try to carry as little water as is needed for flushing. When we get to our location, we will fill the tank with water whether it is for boondocking or for staying in a park.

The drain valve is real handy when you have too much water in your tank for traveling.

Once in a while we will put a small amount of clorox in the tank and flush the lines, and all of the tanks, refill, and we are set for a couple more months. We use this tank water for everything including cooking and bathing.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:19 AM   #5
johnmcc

M.O.C. #8988
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

While traveling, we try to carry as little water as is needed for flushing. When we get to our location, we will fill the tank with water whether it is for boondocking or for staying in a park.

The drain valve is real handy when you have too much water in your tank for traveling.

Newbee question: Why do you fill your freshwater tank if staying in a park with water connections?
Do you also drain your hot water tank? How often?
Just how 'handy' are the drains? Can you describe a little better?
Thanks for the help..
johnmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:13 AM   #6
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by johnmcc

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

Newbee question: Why do you fill your freshwater tank if staying in a park with water connections?
Do you also drain your hot water tank? How often?
Just how 'handy' are the drains? Can you describe a little better?
Thanks for the help..
We fill our freshwater tank for two reasons. One is for stability. When we park and have the stabilizer down the added weight holds the 5er solid. Second, we have found that water pressure can be low, the addition of having the water piped in and the pump on at the same time gives us added pressure, especially nice in the shower.....and it is also a way for us to recirculate the onboard water.

Under your onboard fresh water tank there is a valve that you can unscrew the cap off and drain your freshwater tank.

I normally drain the hot water tank once a year. At that time, I flush the insides of the hot water tank and replace the annode rod.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:38 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do travel with a small amount of water in the fresh water tanks. Enough for stops along the way.When we are at a location with hookups the tank is drained. We never considered leaving water in the tank for long periods of time particularly in hot weather. Does not seem like a healthy thing to do. We do sanitize the tank at least once a year sometimes more.We do not boondock. We always carry a couple gallons of bottled water for drinking along the way.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:23 AM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
There is something to be said for HAVING water in the fresh water tank all the time, maybe not full, just some - -

Here is the set up:

you are in a campground with FULL hookups, you are using water to your hearts delight.

oooooooooo oooooooooo, here comes a storm, or some other nasty event that takes out the electricity or the water system. Now, you are sitting there with no available water out of the faucet and no water in your tank. GULP!!

Remember, some of our campgrounds are sitting with well water, they must have power to push that water from the well to your rig.

Cannot tell you how many times we have had that happen. Lucky for us, most times, we had water in the tank, enough to get us by for a few hours or a day, till the power and/or water was restored.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 10:33 AM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by genecurp

My 06 owner's manual says I should sanitize the fresh system annually which I am about to do for 09. When reviewing the instructions I noticed this:
"Water should be drained from the fresh water system when not in use for more than 1 week."

Opps. That sounds like I should have the tank empty most of the time except on travel days (for the toliet or boondocking).

What is the correct way to do this so the water is safe for consumption?

Thanks to all,
Gene
Gene, I believe the owner's manual expresses what to do with the rig when it is primarily used for vacationing, weekends, and such. If living in it full time then things change. We've been living in ours full time for over eight years now and I haven't drained the fresh water tank since we took it out of storage in November 2000 and filled it. We continually use water out of the tank periodically just so we can fill it again. We keep it full. There have been times when we've been parked in a CG and they've turned off the water for 3 - 4 days and we weren't inconvenienced a bit.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:03 PM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
It might also make storage time difference if you are drawing from treated water or raw well water when you fill.

I've seen the inside of fire water tanks that are stagnant, and you would have to use a spoon to drink off the bottom . I drain ours when we are done with the vacation.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:24 PM   #11
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Brad,

I agree, like draining the bottom of the tank, often. I can also tell how much is in there when refilling. Nice to know if you are 1 cup away from 2/3 full or 1 cup away from 1/3 full.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:07 PM   #12
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
Thanks everyone. I hear ya say if you plan to drink the stuff, keep it fresh. I also hear ya say if it goes out and in regularly, no need to drain the tank weekly per se.

I MAY try this: travel with 10 gallons for all uses (more if doondocking). And when I arrive for a week or more stay, I will fill the tank with fresh. When time to move again, i'll drain all but 10 gallons to travel with. That will keep the tank 80% fresh and travel with under 100 pounds of water.

Thanks again
genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:33 PM   #13
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735

My wife and I camp all winter long and even here in Georgia we have many freezing nights and days. To avoid freezing hoses at night and need to disconnect the water line I fill the fresh water tank and use that all weekend. That prevents the oh no in the morning that the water hose has frozen. That would entail a trip to the bathhouse and hot water from the bathhouse shower to thaw the hose out.

kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:07 AM   #14
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
In addition to water tank considerations, if the rig is going to sit for awhile and not be used (storage), consider pulling the HWH anode (after relieving the pressure!) and draining. Water in the hot water heater can get pretty "skunky" after a period of non-use.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:00 AM   #15
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by capn chris

In addition to water tank considerations, if the rig is going to sit for awhile and not be used (storage), consider pulling the HWH anode (after relieving the pressure!) and draining. Water in the hot water heater can get pretty "skunky" after a period of non-use.
yeppers - part of my routine when parking - drain fresh, HWH, and I even open the low points even though they don't get it all.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:57 AM   #16
crandallbradley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5044
I live in the S.F. bay aera. I have left water in my holding tank for a year and it has not gone bad. You never know when mother nature is going to act up. I think I'm ready.
crandallbradley is offline   Reply With Quote