Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2007, 01:48 PM   #1
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Lights Stopped Working

The trip back from branson may have been bumpier than the road felt. I turned on the light switch in the living room for the three sets of lights on the ceiling and the back set(by the kitchen) do not work. I thought it was a lightbulb problem so I took them out and inspected. The bulbs are fine. Anyone else have a suggestion?

I am also finding out the kitchen in the 5th wheel bounces more on the road. I had my first broken glass when we returned home. I didn't have this problem with the 3000RK's sister Mountaineer 330RKBS. Any suggestions on how to prevent kitchen problems are appreciated.

Phil

Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:19 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We had some kitchen bouncing till we got the Isolator, HIGHLY recommend some kind of air hitch or pin! HIGHLY, oh, did I say that Al and I highly recommend, ohhh, I did??

Before Isolator I had a full sized almost full bottle of Dawn dishsoap riding in the sink, rather deep sink. It jumped OUT of the sink, made a puddle ON the countertop, proceeded to ROLL off and make a larger puddle on the floor. Same trip, had spring rods between sections of over the counter cupboards, the bouncing knocked two sets down and dishes from the middle were all the way in the next front section, hard to explain, so, lets keep it simple, the dishes moved a LOT!!!! Since the Isolator, nothing like this has happened again.

In kitchen, I still put some of that slip not stuff between the plates, and bowls (we have Corelle), also between the pots and pans (I am a teflon lover, not a gourmet cook, my pans will scratch, therefore the slip not). I found some slip not that is solid, cut in circles or whatever and place between each plate, etc. We have 2 coffee mugs that are breakable, the rest of our cups, etc. are not breakable.

Lights, sounds like you are gonna be doing the hunt, hunting for breakers popped, ground faults popped, connections not connected, etc. Time to trouble shoot or return unit to dealer.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:32 PM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
I'm assuming you are describing the 12v lights? If so, and only one set of lights does not come on, but the rest do, then I would suggest removing the 4 screws holding the last fixture (the one not working) and the one that precedes it in line. Check to make sure the wire nuts are secure and the wiring is making proper contact. You can do this while the light switch is on, as long as it is the 12 volt lights.

I agree with Mrs. CountryGuy about the hitch and/or the pin box. We have a GlideRide from Demco and love it. Takes all the chucking out of the ride and we have never had any broken kitchenware.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:40 PM   #4
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Mike I think your right. I am going to have to break out the ladder and see if the connections vibrated lose on the light. It is the 12 volt light. This one will not come on when the other two are on.
Are you guys talking about an entirely different hitch? I just purchased the B&W companion hitch. I would hate to have to have a permanet hitch installed.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:30 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Phil,

Isolator is a Pin replacement. Trailaire and others, (5th Airborn? is that one?)are also pin replacements.

They have air bags and shock absorbers to CUSH the ride.

There are also hitches that have air (sorry, this early in the AM, the names escape me). Have said a number of times, if we knew when we purchased our first hitch we would have had an air type hitch. More $$ up front, but we feel it would have been WORTH IT!!!

The GlideRide and the MorRyde pin box replacements are great for chucking or porpoising, as Mike points out, they really do the stuff, everyone that has them loves them.

Al and I prefer the air bag type pins, we are most concerned about reducing stresses on the frame. It is our opinion, from watching the action of the 5er, the Isolator and the truck while going down the hard road that the Isolator is helping to protect our frame and our rig. The ride in the truck is better as well.

Good luck finding that electric bug.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:30 AM   #6
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Phil,
Maybe a different pin box would be helpfull, something like a Mor/Ryde? I have seen them and talked to people that have them, and keep getting good reports.
We have just have a plain old Husky hitch, and the factory pin box, but have only had problems one time. It was on a Forrest Service road that was wash boarded really bad, and I was going too fast. When I opened the door there were a few things in the floor that weren't supposed to be, things out of the cabinet above the sink. When we headed home I drove more intelligently (slow) leaving the forrest, and everything stayed in place.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:53 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Phil,
I installed a Mor-Ryde on my Montana, as the 'chucking' was really bad on occasion, the trip down here to the Island from K.C. Mo., around 1100 miles was a good test, and it was wonderful, the difference in the 'before' install, last year, and 'after install', this year was like night and day.
We also have an air ride hitch, by Husky. It has two Firestone air bags. I think we have a good system, but other systems that incorporate the two methods of shock and movement dampening, are probably just as good.
Good luck. Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:56 AM   #8
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
What is "chucking"
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:30 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
The first thing I check when anything goes out is the Ground Fault Indicator (GFI). I had been told that you never know when or where one of this has been added in series with anything else electrical. It's a simple push of the button to insure reset, then try the lights again.

Good luck!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 06:54 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by waldo238

What is "chucking"
When you start and stop, the 'slack' in the rig combo kinda jerks the truck around. Also on a road where it has uneven strips of concrete you feel the chucking.
Like around Oklahoma City, or I-10 into Louisiana. Ugh...
Old 12-05-2007, 07:36 AM   #11
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We have and love the 5th Airborne pin box. We now have a smooth ride instead of the bucking and chucking ride that we had before changing to the air pin. Have heard great endorsements for the other air pin boxes also. I believe that you can't go wrong with one of these, 5th Airborne, Trailair, etc, and it will save purchasing another hitch, too.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:43 AM   #12
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
OK, I can relate that to towing my old TT on starting after stopping, kinda like getting the slack out before taking off. When I brought my new unit home it was a concrete road which has those good bad places where the concrete has been replaced and the trailer did not do that, the road might not be bad enough to have it happen though but now I know what it is, thanks, Ozz.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:51 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by waldo238

OK, I can relate that to towing my old TT on starting after stopping, kinda like getting the slack out before taking off. When I brought my new unit home it was a concrete road which has those good bad places where the concrete has been replaced and the trailer did not do that, the road might not be bad enough to have it happen though but now I know what it is, thanks, Ozz.
You bet! I may have worked on your Sub at New London, if you were there around 'Nam time..... I was a Machinist there at the machine shop in New London, I can still smell the old Diesel boats in my sinuses....
Old 12-05-2007, 08:11 AM   #14
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
I was in Groton around 82 for school and then to Norfolk to wait for it to return from a deployment. I believe this boat was commissioned in 79. As far as NAM time I wasn't much bigger than popcorn fart back then But I do remember my brother who went to NAM for 2 tours.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:26 AM   #15
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Here's the 5th Airborne site: www.fifthairborne.com
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:50 AM   #16
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Interesting how this thread went from electrical to hitch ideas?! Hope you checked the individual light switches etc. Have altered mine in the bedroom/bath area.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:55 PM   #17
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I am going to take the light assembly off in the morning and check to see if the wires are lose. I know it is not a breaker or switch. If one of those two were out of whack none of the lights would come on. The middle two sets of lights come on, just not the kitchen set which is on the same switch as the other two properly operating lights.

As for the hitch issues...I don't have chugging. I did at one point have some bucking on a concrete highway in Northeast Missouri. I will have to investigate the pinbox option. I love the B&W Companion hitch so I don't want to change it out.