Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2007, 09:35 AM   #1
Rainbirds
Established Member

M.O.C. #5720
Grey Tank Leaking

Greetings to all,
On our 2004 3400RL, we have developed a leak from our grey water tank (the shower). After taking a shower, the water runs out from under the 5th Wheel at the seams of the sealing paper. (I guess you can figure out what I mean by that.) NOTE: all drains are closed.

I think, the water is coming from around the shower drain. IE, I have lost the seal from drain pipe to shower stall.

Your ideas and experiences are appreciated.

The Rainbirds

Rainbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:08 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Rainbirds,

I guess you have a gray water leak vs a leak in the shower.

I had/have a leak in the area where the drain pipe goes into the tank. I fixed it once and it held for about 6 months. Now it is leaking again. I plan to get another radiator leak kit and try one more time. To get to the fix area you need to drop the covering on the bottom of the trailer. It just goes back up with the same screws. In mine we had to cut the covering to get it down so we could work on the tank. We just taped over the cut.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:28 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
It could be that the drain in the shower is not tight. Ours was loose (actually cracked) and water seeped down around the drain and by capillary action ran to the wall and down into the underbelly. Water has to accumulate in the underbelly before you see it leak out. That's because the leaking around the drain is not that great, just seeping. Then after a couple showers you notice the dripping water. I replaced the drain in the shower with one from Lowe's and sealed it with tub caulking. Hasn't leaked in over two years.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:55 PM   #4
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
My grey water tank cracked near the outlet of the tank. Very expensive over $1000 repair to get the tank replaced. Thankfully I had a good extended warranty. They build the trailer around and over the tank. 9 hours labor @ $95 per hour.
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:06 PM   #5
Les and Julie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1057
We had a simlar problem - took the whole drain out and resealed it with window sealant (it is flexabile) -- cut a piece out of the drain and put in a 1 1/4" flexilbe rubber connection so that the shower drain would not be bothered by movement. Have not had a problem since. Was very difficult to access the fittings under the shower but it is possible to do it. If you need more info please send us PM and we will try to help out. Julie & Les
Les and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:26 AM   #6
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
We have had our grey tank replaced in August. Our black tank now is now cracked and we are waiting for a new one to arrive to get it replaced. Our kitchen grey tank has just started to leak when full. I will get it replaced when we get back home. Good thing there are only 3 waste tanks. I wonder if the fresh is next?
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:59 PM   #7
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
Ours leaked around the shower drain. We got some sealent and applied to shower drain. It stopped leaking, but now are very careful not to step on the drain area when we take showers. Seems to have taken care of problem, no more leaks. We keep a pail under that area in the basement area, just to make sure there are no more leaks coming from the shower drain area. We keep our tanks open when hooked up to sewer, with the exception of the Black tank.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rainbirds

Greetings to all,
On our 2004 3400RL, we have developed a leak from our grey water tank (the shower). After taking a shower, the water runs out from under the 5th Wheel at the seams of the sealing paper. (I guess you can figure out what I mean by that.) NOTE: all drains are closed.

I think, the water is coming from around the shower drain. IE, I have lost the seal from drain pipe to shower stall.

Your ideas and experiences are appreciated.

The Rainbirds

Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:35 PM   #8
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
My shower leaked at the drain so I replaced it with a stainless one from plumbing supply. It helps to spray great stuff around the drain in the basement just set something heavy on the drain in the shower to keep it from rasing up. this will make the drain solid when you step on it. I just put my front gray tank back in today. I had to repair a leak at the neck. I have already replaced the back galley tank. I am going to put some bracing under the tanks to take the load off the bottom. This is getting to be like work. I ckd on a tank from keystone 125.00+ shipping from dealer sooo it seems like he will do ok if he gets to put one in. Just thinging!!!! bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote