Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2007, 05:44 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Cleaning the roof and awnings

For the absolutely last time. Used dawn dish wash soap and all the stuff that Dicor gave out at the Fall rally..woked really good the roof and awnings are nice and clean..however the work and effort was not worth it..so the roof is dirty..so what..will the dirty roof police get me?? Do people stand on overpasses and report campers with dirty roofs?? Whatever squirts off with a hose will do from now on. I may pay to have it done or if one of our adult male kids are dumb enough to do it because I asked them to do it (i doubt that).Our roof will remain dark grey...

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:31 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Oh no Rich, I hear the "Dirty Roof Police" coming.......Look out, cover it, don't let them see it. Insist on a search warrant. Be held in contempt of court. Deny any knowledge of it. Invoke the OJ defense. Dirty roof owners unite!!!!!!We shall overcome.......

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:47 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
The only problem with a dirty roof, is that all that dirt washes over on the white sides and windows. That is THE ONLY reason I clean it.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 06:58 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Our unit must be an exception. I've only washed my roof a couple times in over 7 years of continual use and I've yet to see any streaks down the sides of the unit. The only place I find streaks is on the large window in the rear. That's caused by dirt collection while traveling and then having rain run down the window. I'm with Rich on this one. What's going to happen to you if you don't wash it? I've got half my roof filled with solar panels--can't wash there any how.

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:02 AM   #5
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I do it for the same reason Ozz does.

We get little rain around this part of the country, and lots of dust from the feedlots, dairys, and farms, along with lots of fly specs. When it does rain, it's just enough to make the whole rig look like someone was making mud pies on the roof, lol.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:18 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I HAD the roof of my old Monty washed twice in 4 years. I say "HAD" as on 2 separate occasions in 2 separate CGs I had a neighbor volunteer to wash it for me. I only supplied the Dawn and they did the rest. Neither would accept any gratuity for their work. Although I did end up buying dinner for the second one. Have yet to wash the roof of the new rig.
And Dicor did say that the only reason to go on the roof is to check the caulking around the vents and seams. Also to clean the fins on the A/C. Otherwise Didor sees no need being up there.
Even though they do sell a cleaner and a treatment they said it wasn't necessary. They only went into that market to be sure that folks were using a none damaging chemical on the roof.

The awning is a real simple matter to clean. Wait for a morning with a heavy dew when both sides of the awning are soaking wet. Take you wand with soft brush and the dirt comes right off. A rinse and you're done.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:27 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Washing the roof today caused the MOST Grey streaks I have ever seen on the sides of the camper. I do understand about that southwest dust. We are still finding Arizona beige dust in the camper. Maybe all the rain we get around here keeps the dirt from building on the roof.Not only did we have to clean the roof but then the entire camper because of the dirt that washed off. If I had not disturbed the dirt it would still be there till the next heavy rain. We are done ..worked all day except for the occasional transfusion and oxygen.. Think we will take a drive in my shinny new Diesel truck and listen to the rattling and smell the fumes// A little Willie Nelson would not hurt...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:51 AM   #8
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I've been doing the same thing today (agree the Dicor cleaner works great) I still have the back 1/4 to finish. Then I get to wash and wax the whole thing...so much fun! Then I'll cover it until we get ready to leave for Arizona in January.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:15 AM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Thank you, thank you and finally thank you. I now have Moc forum justification for never cleaning the roof!!! Any other suggestions for work out there that we can get out of???? Bet you a dollar this thread is driving Ozz nuts!! Finally someone devoting time to non-mods!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 12:26 PM   #10
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Bingo, Have you thought about the reduction of wind resistance with a clean roof? Then you'd need to take a trip to check it out, and see how much better milage you get.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 01:05 PM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Bingo, it's a short drive....
It's good to be a well rounded person, a few mods, a few cleaning threads, I even learned some things on the landing gear repair thread.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 01:23 PM   #12
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
My MOC "buddies" (as DW calls you) are not making this stick-house bound wait until Thanksgiving any easier!!!! On the bright side though, all warranty work has just about been completed on the Monty. Waiting for another Apollo (third) and a cabinet door (water damage from leaking OEM faucet). Dealer as usual has been fantastic!!
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 02:57 PM   #13
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
We have owned our rig for about 16 months now and the roof has been washed several times. I have found that we have more black streaks when it gets dirty. I don't need ROOF POLICE as I find the back breaking cleaning process of getting rid of the black streaks makes cleaning the roof a must. Of course I am not the one climbing on the roof to do that.... that is DH's job

In my defense.... I am the one that scrubs the sides

Colleen

PS.... Dawn is my choice of cleaner followed by the Thetford roof cleaner and conditioner
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 03:06 PM   #14
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I use Thetford Roof Cleaner and Conditioner as well. I personally like to keep my roof looking as white as possible...for my own personal satisfaction. Usually try and get up there to clean it once every four to six weeks. Again, I only do it for my own personal satisfaction.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 01:12 PM   #15
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Montana Sky: I'm right along with you on the personal satisfaction thing. I have several years before the "can do cancels out the want to" so a trip to the roof with bucket and mop easily keeps her shiney and white on top. Great Guns! ... a poet and didn't know it. In all seriousness, a tan top doesn't reflect as much heat and is a real eye catcher traveling down the road.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 05:23 PM   #16
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
dieselguy,
You sure hit the nail on the head about it being an eye catcher. Yesterday, as I was headed home from the tire store, feeling a great sense of accomplishment, new tires and awning lock, my dear sweet wife suddenly appeared in my rear view mirror and followed me home. Once there, she got out of her truck, walked up to me, went through our usual greeting ritual, then said "That roof really looks bad going down the road". I was expecting her to say something about the tires or awning lock, but noooooo, just the roof. So, I spent the entire day today, like Rich, not only washing the roof, but the entire rig. Finished about 2 minutes before the cold front from the north blew in at 50 mph pushing a cloud of dirt, grass, and leaves in front of it. Oh well, it's only time, soap, and water, .
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:21 PM   #17
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Lonnie, you are right. Because of the slope on the back part of the Montana that dirty roof sticks out like a sore thumb.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:31 PM   #18
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Lonnie,

You could always mention that you read on the thread that one wife washes and waxes the sides of the Montana with her husband after he cleans the roof. I am the one that suggests that the roof needs to be cleaned. I started saying that after I had scrubbed the sides and only have the dirt on the roof leave black streaks when we had a heavy rain. Your DW might not suggest that you wash the roof so often if she is out helping you scrub the Monty

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote