Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2007, 12:54 PM   #1
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
Tire Question

DD and SIL have a used 04 trailer they have in a seasonal campground site. They traveled twice this year a blew a tire each time. SIL asked me if taking the weight off tires when parked in seasonal site would help. I have no experience or answer. Our Monty is sitting in the driveway ready to go tomorrow after sitting for 3 wseeks, the longest this year. I recommend he replace all the tires and get at least E rated tires. Thanks

sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 01:32 PM   #2
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
I am not an expert but believe you gave good advice. Tires have a definite life span regardless of the miles traveled. Also, being a used rig, the useage and care of the tires has been uncontrolled by the new users. Tires that are in contact with the ground will degrade at the contact patch no matter what % weight they experience. The heat cycles and rotation of the tires when in use will actually help extend thier lives over just sitting. There are several "tire guys" on this forum and they will probably check in on this one. Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:47 PM   #3
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
If Lonnie B or Glennn finds the time to jump in here, you will get great information on your tire questions... I wish I could help. But I am still letting air out of the tire's to make things level... ho ho ho safe travels and see you in BRANSON 2008 John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:06 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
The life of the tire on RVs is not controlled by the tread life or mileage. It's controlled by the sidewall. When vehicles sit in one spot for a long time without any kind of protection from UV rays, the sidewalls tend to weather check. Look at your tires and observe if there are any cracks, small or large. I put new tires on every four years whether they are needed or not.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:14 PM   #5
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I'm certainly no expert on tires, but I have a TT and have been experiencing tire problems.
We upgraded our load range D to load range E thinking this would give me a stronger tire.
Well, it did, but created a new set of problems as I have now had two blowouts in as many outings on 1 1/2 year old tires.
I have consulted with a local tire expert that has taken my situation seriously for me and has contacted a number of manufacturers on my behalf.
They are telling me that we have increased the carrying capacity to the point that the tires are now considered under loaded. Combined with max pressure the tires are over inflated and are blowing out in the middle of the treads (classic over inflation).
If I want to stay with the heavier load range, they are suggesting I set the inflation to match the load, not run at max as many suggest.

I have decided to go with their recommendations and go back to the load range D, what gives me the best warranty, and a good national company that I would be able to get replacements from should I have difficulties on the road.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:27 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozzie

I'm certainly no expert on tires, but I have a TT and have been experiencing tire problems.
We upgraded our load range D to load range E thinking this would give me a stronger tire.
Well, it did, but created a new set of problems as I have now had two blowouts in as many outings on 1 1/2 year old tires.
I have consulted with a local tire expert that has taken my situation seriously for me and has contacted a number of manufacturers on my behalf.
They are telling me that we have increased the carrying capacity to the point that the tires are now considered under loaded. Combined with max pressure the tires are over inflated and are blowing out in the middle of the treads (classic over inflation).
If I want to stay with the heavier load range, they are suggesting I set the inflation to match the load, not run at max as many suggest.

I have decided to go with their recommendations and go back to the load range D, what gives me the best warranty, and a good national company that I would be able to get replacements from should I have difficulties on the road.
Ozzie, They are correct. Weigh the trailer and set the PSI to the weight being carried. Not knowing what size tire you are referring to I can't help you much with the proper PSI.

I'll probably open a can of worms with this but...
Follow this link > http://www.goodyear.com/truck/pdf/da...dInflation.pdf and by scrolling down you will tire inflation charts for all size tires.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:40 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sgtpp214

DD and SIL have a used 04 trailer they have in a seasonal campground site. They traveled twice this year a blew a tire each time. SIL asked me if taking the weight off tires when parked in seasonal site would help. I have no experience or answer. Our Monty is sitting in the driveway ready to go tomorrow after sitting for 3 wseeks, the longest this year. I recommend he replace all the tires and get at least E rated tires. Thanks
sgtpp214,
Not knowing all the facts this is about the best advise I can give you...
SIL asked me if taking the weight off tires when parked in seasonal site would help.
No not really unless they are sitting for years at a time. If that be the case I would remove the tires and wheels and store them.
My rig will sit for up the 6 or 7 months with no special attention given to the tires and NO don't waste your time trying to cover them to prevent UV rays. Covers or not tires will begin to show signs of age in about 4 to 5 years. I recommend replacing tires at about 5 to 6 years.
I recommend he replace all the tires and get at least E rated tires
Replacing depends on the condition and age of the tires, If they show signs of aging or are just worn to hard I would replace them BUT it is not necessary to increase the load range. Know the weight of the trailer and set the PSI in the tires accordingly. You will find the Load Range charts here...
http://www.goodyear.com/truck/pdf/da...dInflation.pdf

Good luck

Old 08-14-2007, 05:14 AM   #8
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Glenn,

I was reading another forum the other day and one of the contributors indicated that COLD reading of tire pressures was to be taken after driving for half an hour or so, not before the sun hits them and before driving. I always thought COLD meant in the morning before driving. Can you please set the record straight.

Karl
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:23 PM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Cold is first thing in the morning before ANY driving is done. Unless the morning sun has been shining on them for over an hour it shouldn't make that much of a difference.
Also always use a good tire pressure gage and not some cheap piece of junk.
AND always use the SAME gage as not all gages read the same.
NEVER use the gage at those 50 cent air pumps at convenience stores. They can be off as much as 20 pounds either way.
If you want to check your gage take it to any reputable tire shop and have them check it for you.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:46 PM   #10
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I too believe lifting the tires off the ground is a waste of time. These are highly engineered radials built with the latest greatest technology, not the old nylon bias ply tires of yesteryear.
John, I can't wait to meet you in person so you can show me how to level a trailer, .
All I can add to this is, thank you Glenn for the links to some pretty good info.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:45 AM   #11
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
When not towing, can I reduce the PSI in the TV to 45# without causing harm? It rides like a new truck when I do that. At 60+lbs. each, I have to tighten my fillings and caps and where a kidney belt when not towing.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 10:00 AM   #12
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
If you know how much your truck weighs front and rear you can follow the link Glenn provided above and set your pressures accordingly. You may find that you can go lower than 45 especially in the rear. Just remember to raise the pressure back up if you put something heavy in it.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote