Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2007, 12:55 AM   #1
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Gelcoat protection

We have ordered our 2955 with gelcoat now they want to sell us a protection coat to make it easier to clean the black streaks off. Is this just some kind of wax coat and is it worth $600 cdn.

hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 01:24 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I would pass. The gelcoat should be all you need, I wish I had it.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 02:04 AM   #3
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
I would find out more information about the "protection". I've been reading about a clearcoat spray that seems to have a good benefit but seems like the cost was more like $900. I would ask for the brand name and generic name of the supplier, do some research and then make a decision.
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:57 AM   #4
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
We ordered ours with the gelcoat because it is easier to clean. You can buy an awful lot of cleaner for $600.00.
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 06:35 AM   #5
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
I don't have the "high gloss" gel coat, and I use 303 Aerospace Protectant, and that along with using "Gel Gloss Wash/Wax" works for me. They leave a coating that keeps my unit clean. I figure no matter what you use or have applied, you should probably at least wash/wax your unit at the end of each winter and sometime in the fall. I've found that the 303 Protectant repels stains/dirt....but sooner or later you'll still have to wash the unit. No different than a "high gloss" finish on an automobile....even though water beads up and dirt is repeled, when it gets dirty it needs cleaned or at least rinsed off. Good Luck to you!
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:20 AM   #6
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Don and Mary Ann, we are very happy owners of a 2002 2955RL. I mention that to indicate that we have been using it for almost five years now (May 2002) and have almost 50,000 miles of travel. We do not have the gel coat on the body, only the front and rear cap. I have just finished a complete "wash job" after our return from a trip to the Rio Grande Valley. Here are my observations: We have never had any black streaks. I attribute that to two things: I regularly clean the roof (I use Thetford's Rubber Roof cleaner), and we are fortunate enough to have the Montana under cover when we are not on the road.

One additional observation: I regularly wax the front cap and more rarely the back cap [only one time, I believe] but never the rest of the body. A primary reason is that waxing the front cap makes removing the bugs after a trip much easier, though with the "Bounce Magic" that is a pretty easy task.

All in all, I must agree with those who have questioned the need for any additional "protection coat".
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:36 AM   #7
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Don, this is another one of those high profit dealer scams and probably is no better than a good coat of wax. Enjoy the new 2955RL and congratulations.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:01 AM   #8
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
I agree with wrenchtraveller. Was going to get the sealant, and after much investigation found that it was not much more that a silicone based application with some buffers in it.
Savr your money, you've got the gel coat, just clean it with a good boat cleaner and it should stay gorgeous! Enjoy the new rig!!!!
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:54 AM   #9
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
thanks everyone that is the way I was thinking but second opinions are always helpful
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:43 AM   #10
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
We have the gelcoat and did buy the gelcoat protection package, good for 5 years - apply once a year. Ours was only $245.00. Was given the $600.00 figure also. It does make the black streak cleaning easy. After years of cleaning black streaks off our old unit I figured if it worked the 245 was worth it. So far it works, but it's only 3 months old. Time will tell if we blew the money.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:28 PM   #11
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hookman

We have ordered our 2955 with gelcoat now they want to sell us a protection coat to make it easier to clean the black streaks off. Is this just some kind of wax coat and is it worth $600 cdn.
I would not get the protection. The purpose of the gelcoat is to protect the rig and make it easier to keep clean. Boats have been using gelcoat for years and, even in the marine environment, it is easy to clean and wax.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 01:11 PM   #12
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
If it is a true gel coat, then you should not need the added protection. Think of a fiberglass boat with a gel coat finish, it make lead water marks and streaks but it wipes right off.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:16 AM   #13
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
With the jelcoat finish, you don't have to rub very much to clean anything off it!
DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:19 AM   #14
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Wouldn't;t leave home without it.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:13 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm a fan of the gelcoat because of how much easier it is to clean than were our filon sided rigs.

But I wonder, has anyone experienced cleaning black streaks BOTH from gelcoat and from gelcoat with this extra application of whateveritis? Any difference?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:42 AM   #16
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Seems to me that there is a Texas company who has an aftermarket clearcoat spray on application that I read about last year but can not for the life of me find it again. I emailed them last year and was impressed with what I found out at the time. Ever since this thread started I have tried to find the company and have failed. As I recall the costs was $600-$900 and it lasted about 5 years. Streaks and spots were supposed to just wipe off I guess I wasn't interested enough to remember them.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:08 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Confusion reins..As described in the Montana web site Standard finish Gel Coat Filon...option..Hi Gloss Fiberglass.. Filon and fiber glass are different materials. Also I have yet to see yellowing in a RV finish,, Dirty, sun damaged but Yellowing..never??? When we talk about Hi Gloss gel coat what exactly are we talking about???

Filon is made by Kemlite Corporation, which is the largest frp manufacturer in the world and are located in Illinois. Filon is a durable semi-rigid gel coated exterior FRP [Fiberglass Reinforced Polyester] resin material. It comes in 3 shades of white and 1 shade of gray which the color is all through the product. Our color is the most popular color used in the RV industry, Polar White. The most common grades come in .040 and .060 thickness and in 8' wide rolls up to 500' long. The Filoplate gel coated surface is highly scratch, abrasion and dent resistant with excellent weathering characteristics. The maximum allowable bend radius is 7" or greater. Maintenance requires washing with liquid detergents and if you wish to wax, you can use automotive or marine waxes or use cleaners developed for use on fiberglass boats, showers and tubs. All of your high end RV's use Filon siding.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:00 PM   #18
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846

Thank you Lord for those who keep us enlightened. Please bless them with your Grace and peace. My wish for them is that You would provide them everything I want for myself. Amen.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:52 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Whatever it's called.... For sake of avoiding confusion, since we've called the non-high-gloss "filon" and the high-gloss we've called "gelcoat", I'll use those terms here.

I've seen several trailers filon finishes yellowed with age. Baggage doors seem to be more susceptible but I've seen it on the main body as well. I don't think the newer rigs are as prone to yellowing as are the older ones. Dave Anderson's 1999 Montana, at the Goshen rally, was quite yellowed. Dave mentioned that to me when we were discussing his possibly trading Montanas. And it was very visible.

I think Rich meant to say all the high-end rigs use the high-gloss finish. Correct me if this is not what you meant. From what I've seen, they're all high-gloss.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:59 PM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
This subject got me going,,Oh well it will keep me busy researching Filon, Fiberglass, High Gloss, etc. I have read enough to be very confused. Will have to keep my eye out for older model RV's we don't see many old RV's in these parks.. In most of them 10 years old is the limit. We did have a custom van with a clear coat finish that did yellow..but that was 20 years ago.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote