Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #1
davidfrafaly
Established Member

M.O.C. #12355
roof maintenance

We have a 2012 3100RL. When and what do I need to do for the roof maintenance? Cleaning, protecting, etc. May be an old topic but could not find links or threads of previous comments. Thanks.

davidfrafaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:23 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
For those of us who do get up there, some use commercial cleaners made for our roofs and others simply use Dawn dish detergent. I use either choice (depending on sales) once in late Spring and again in the Fall before I store it during the winter. I also (starting at the front) apply Aerospace 303 both times ... it noticeably cuts down the dirt buildup on the roof and black streaks on the sides. Cleaning up there also gives you a chance to look seams, other caulking, and your roof mount TV coax line seal over and touch up as needed. It's hard to keep the soap off the sides, so figure on a total body wash in the process.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:42 PM   #3
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Check your roof regularly for any penetration, tears, caulking issues, etc. but otherwise .... leave it alone! Cleaning it won't extend the life for a minute according to those in the business.
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:26 AM   #4
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
I've seen this topic many times ever since rubber roofs came out. Can't find it easily, but I had a link to an EDPM manufacturer's site where they said to NOT use anything to clean their product. That the slightly gritty feel and small amounts of white 'stuff' that comes off are normal oxidation - rinse the roof with plain water only. Another said to only use Dawn and LIGHTLY scrub with a soft brush. Both stated that any kind of petroleum based chemicals would damage EDPM.

(I really liked both as that meant less work for me!)
Old 03-18-2014, 03:07 AM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I reckon if the manufacturer doesn't recommend you to clean their product ... that's their recommendation. I'm a bit younger/agile and think a brown roof with dark brown streaks over the drip rail looks sad. Not really after extended longivity but pride in what I own, after all my washing and conditioning over the years, the roof was still shedding water with no issue when I sold the units.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 12:52 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
IF you use Dawn on the roof, which I do, make sure it is the BLUE Dawn and not the scented ones. I rinse it first with plain water, use a long handled blush to wash it down and then rinse it again. I normally do about a four to six foot section at a time. The scented Dawns will attract bugs and birds and they like to chew or peck holes in the roof looking for the flower or fruit from the smell. Like dieselguy said in his post-- plan on a full wash of the unit if you wash the roof because that soap WILL RUN DOWN THE SIDES and you will get streaks of clean areas and the rest will be dirty. One piece of advise-- if you are afraid of heights Do NOT go up on the roof and if not and you go up WEAR SOME GOOD SHOES THAT WILL GRIP BECAUSE THAT ROOF WILL GET SLICK! Don't ask how I know!!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:37 PM   #7
jswharton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10100
I use Murphy's oil on the roof. Do to ow if it's just Texas but get a bunch of black k streaks from the roof, wish there was a magic pill that wouldmAke the go awY!
jswharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:04 AM   #8
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
David,

Click here http://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-h...-tiptop-shape/

Our rig is a 2013 and did use Murphy's oil and it did a nice job. Oh, Murphy's oil even though the word oil is in the product does not contain oil. Good luck.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:37 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We check for any sign of damage and drying of caulking at least twice a year. We do wash off with original dawn but really do not care about a dirty roof. We have never seen the roof police checking for dirty roof's. If one cleans the roof do they also clean the underside of the unit. Actually we never did anything but wipe the roof down and check for damage on our 06 3400, at least Helen did, and we had no problems in 7 years.

This winter in Florida we had a professional Rv wash company wash the Montana and the roof .It looks really good perhaps they can do it again next winter.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 04:18 AM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We don't clean ours either, but do check everything at least once a month. The reason I check so often is I have to be up there cleaning the solar panels anyway so why not look for cracks in seals etc. One of the reasons I don't wash it is safety. With bad knees and the roof being angled toward the sides and back being up there on a slippery surface isn't for me anymore.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:25 AM   #11
tweber502
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13660
I use a combination of Murphy's oil soap and liquid Spic and Span. About a cup of each in 3 gallons of warm water. Have been using this mixture for 7 or 8 years now and have never had any problems. I do this 3 times a year and roof looks great. You might as well plan on washing the entire camper because the runoff leaves white streaks on the camper sides and windows. Tim
tweber502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:54 PM   #12
anglerdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14097
I like the idea of using Murphy's oil soap rather than Dawn soap. Dawn will strip off your wax on the camper (if you wax it). I have also used simple Green on the roof and on black streaks. Does a good job. Btw, I use dawn on my truck when I want to strip off all my wax, then use a clay bar to clean the paint. Then fresh wax, which makes the paint look amazing. I will definitely try the Murphy's.
anglerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:32 PM   #13
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
The only reason I use Blue or Original Dawn is that is what the roof people at the Fall Rally have recommended for the past five years at least. If they recommend using Dawn I'm going to listen to the experts! Sorry gang, I can only tell you what I've heard over the years at the Fall Rally! I do use something different for my black streaks but that's a secret and I'm sworn to not tell anyone under penalty of death!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote