Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
wheelock up

I have one wheel that locks up. They are self adjusting brakes. I have back of the adjustment prior to the last trip and on the return home tthe wheel locked up a couple of times. There is no grease on the shoes or drum. They don't seem to be over adjusted. The magnet looks good. could it be a bad magnet? a short? Any ideas?
Joe

brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
If you have your gain set high and are moving say under 15 mph ... they will tend to slide if there is some loose gravel on the pavement. A magnet will only try to grab the wheel drum if it's energized. I assume you saw nothing out of place as in the adjuster, cable, brake shoe mounting springs, small clip holding the magnet onto the lever arm. A short would probably pop a fuse or show a fault code on your brake controller. Could you more describe "lock-up"???
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:01 AM   #3
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
wheel lock up - wheel does not rotate,drags. Only one wheel does this so gain is not a suspect.
Joe
Old 10-13-2012, 01:23 AM   #4
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
One thing to check is the drum it could be out of round. Take it off and get a brake shop to check it if it is not to bad they may be able to machine it.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #5
Paddler
Established Member

M.O.C. #11308
We had one wheel that would intermittently lock up. Turned out to be the electric brake wires, were to short (length of wire inside the brake drum) which prevented the brake shoes from retracting. Pulled just a bit more wire into the brake drum and problem solved.
Paddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I guess I didn't ask right ... seldom do all 4 electric brakes brake exactly the same. At slower speeds, one will occassionally slide before the others if there is a bit of loose gravel on the road. What I guess I should have asked is does your wheel try to lock up at road speed or at slower speeds as in right before you roll to a stop or when intermittently applying your brakes say driving out of a parking lot. What I was eluding to is at higher gain settings, one or more wheels will tend to grab at slow speeds depending on what they are rolling over. Just for grins ... turn the gain down and see if it matters. I have a Prodigy and run on the second gain setting .. I have to lower it to the first or no gain around the campground or my brakes will slide one or more tires. I've seen an instance or two on tandem axles where the reason a tire was locking up on one side was the brake on the other axle wasn't working at all. After good braking, one of those IR thermometer guns will tell you if they are all heating up about the same.
Hookman had a valid point as well.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #7
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
Hey dieselguy on pavement as I slow up the wheel locks up, i put the prodgy on b1 and it seems alright and in the campground on gravel it will drag easily. Do you thing it is the brake controler or that maybe it is the first brake (front drivers side)in line to get the electric current. I am off on the 24th of this month to have a Motor vehicle inspection (MVI which is required every two years) done and in the process they pull all wheels and check the brakes. They repack the bearings and charge 90.00. This is at a keystone dealer and I will ask them if they have a soulution.
By the way to have the MVI done at a truck shop they charge strait time 89.00 per hour and estamate 2 -3 hour plus. Could be a 300.00 bill. I will drive 60 mile to the dealer.
Thanks for your input.
Joe
Old 10-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #8
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Joe, I would get a good DVM and start checking resistance readings, you may have hit upon the problem. If you have a poor crimp in the connection to the other brakes, could be causing high resistance thus limiting the current that can reach the other wheels. Something to look into.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #9
CBTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9267
I can't get mine to lockup even with the manual switch full on. The dealer has adjusted the brakes and so have I, but so far no luck. However, when I accidentally pulled the breakaway switch during a sharp turn while storing the trailer the brakes locked up so strong that I thought I backed into a concrete wall. My suspicion is that I have a connection problem. Tomorrow ( Fri, 19 Oct) I'm talking a breakout box to see what the system current is. More later.
CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #10
RonD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8962

I suspect an out of round brake drum, the self adjuster will set the shoes to the loose area of the drum, when the tight part of the drum makes shoe contact it will lock up, just remove it and have it turned, re adjust and that should fix the issue

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by brooksider

I have one wheel that locks up. They are self adjusting brakes. I have back of the adjustment prior to the last trip and on the return home tthe wheel locked up a couple of times. There is no grease on the shoes or drum. They don't seem to be over adjusted. The magnet looks good. could it be a bad magnet? a short? Any ideas?
Joe
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #11
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
Problem solved. All new brakes. Two sets of linnings almost to the metal, another rusted real bad and ceased(bad Magnet). Total cost was 563.00 plus tax. The tec did not have good things to say about the self adjusting brakes. The new ones are not self adjusting which is my preference also.I have about 20K miles on the brakes with a bit of Mountain driving. I should be good for anther two years.
Joe
Old 10-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #12
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Thanks for letting us know Joe, good to hear it's all fixed
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote