Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2010, 10:19 AM   #1
maintechfotog
Established Member

M.O.C. #9293
waste water leak

Our kitchen sink has started to leak severely, I'm guessing just before it enters the gray water tank. The bathroom sink works fine, holding the waste okay. Our service dealer back in Canada (we're in Bradenton FL) says that some waste pipes are glued in to the top of the tank, without the benefit of any reusable fittings. Has anyone had to fix this? Can I expect to find a misaligned waste pipe, broken out of the tank? I have not yet dropped the underbelly cover, so I'm in the dark at this point.

maintechfotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:30 AM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
maintechfotog, It would help us help you if we knew what model Montana you have. Where exactly is the kitchen sink leaking? It is possible you have a galley tank that is overflowing? Give us the model number and perhaps we can give you an idea where to look for the galley tank dump valve. Jim
Old 02-01-2010, 10:37 AM   #3
maintechfotog
Established Member

M.O.C. #9293
Sorry Jim, its a 2001 3575RL. I too wondered if the valve to the drain was remaining closed, How can I check that?
Old 02-01-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
maintechfotog, unfortunately I am not familiar with the 3575RL perhaps someone will be along shortly who is and can tell us if there is a galley tank and where the valve is located. If you have tank level indicator lights and one is marked galley then you know you have such a tank. On my model the dump valve for the galley tank is street side, towards the rear, kind of underneath the unit. You have to be looking for it to see it. I know on some of the other models it is on the street side between the axels. I think some even require crawling under the slide to operate. Hope this helps. Jim
Old 02-01-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
maintechfotog
Established Member

M.O.C. #9293
Thanks Jim,
My display shows a Galley tank, two lights glow when pressed. Tomorrow I will get under and check to see if I can locate the valve. What should I look for, is it a valve like the knife style used to drain the gray/black tanks, or something else?
Why did the galley tank decide to not empty as it has previously?
We did notice that the kitchen sink drained very slowly when we identified the leak, is that a clue?
I have emptied the gray tank, removing the water from the bathroom sink use, I can hear the water flowing out.
I have not tried adding more water to the kitchen sink drain because I'd like to work with dry parts as far as possible.
Thanks for your interest and support,

David.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #6
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Can't answer why it drained before. If the tank is full and water is being held in the drain lines under the sink they can certainly leak. Not sure what you are calling "knife style" but most valve mechanisms I have seen are a metal rod about 3/8" in diameter with a "T" handle on the end. If I'm not describing things very well PM me with a number and I'll call you. Jim
Old 02-01-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
it sounds like you are not sure if you have a drain valve and that you had not drained it before? is this a trailer that you just purchased? if it is you will find another pull handle separate from the other two usally towards the rear of the unit,sometimes near the wheels on the outside of the frame.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:18 PM   #8
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
I dont know about a 3575rl but I have been in the belly of my 3650rk 3 diff times and most montanas have 3 tanks 1 black,2 gray all with a blade type valve up in the belly. keystone also uses a spin weld fitting it the top of the tank. One of my SOBs had a rubber bushing with a pc of pipe pushed down in the tank. If you have water standing in your sink the valve is not open but if it is leaking it will run out under the rv belly. let us know which and we may be more help JMO.
Bobby
On edit my bath gray tank is up frt and the kitchen gray is at the back two dif tanks.
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:22 AM   #9
maintechfotog
Established Member

M.O.C. #9293
Thanks for all of your assistance guys. Stoopid had forgotten the 'other' drain valve, which I opened first thing this morning, to be greeted by a rush of water down the sewer. I'm going to tie a label to the gray tank handle in the basement. 'OPEN THREE STOOPID'.
This is a terrific forum, with caring friends we've not met yet, but hope to soon!, again many thanks.

David.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:48 PM   #10
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Anyone know where I can locate drawings of the Monty,s tank and valve locations? From all the chatter concerning the black tank I would think someone would have pressured Keystone to publish the information. Sure would beat seeing some poor owner tearing out the underbelly in the blind searching for a leak.
pineranch
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 09:35 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
David, you are absolutely not alone with this "mistake." Many, many of us on this forum have not known about that third dump valve handle. Most dealers and their sales people have no clue, either, so word is never passed on to the customer. Vicki, my wife, suggested to a Keystone rep at a rally back in 2006 that they just put a little label on the fender or sidewall just above the dump handle. A label like they use for the lug torque warning would suffice. But I guess they figured that costs too much money or something because it's never happened. I would think we guys would notice that label and investigate and thus figure out there's a third dump valve.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:15 AM   #12
AJH
Established Member

M.O.C. #11247
OK confused. I noticed my kitchen tank started dripping a little. But I was under the impression I have 3 tanks. Black, gray, and kitchen. I have 3 drain pulls to empty them. Anyway is the kitchen tank hard to change. I just finished changeing my gray tank, and I used my kitchen sink with no problem even when the gray tank was off.
AJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:52 AM   #13
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by AJH

OK confused. I noticed my kitchen tank started dripping a little. But I was under the impression I have 3 tanks. Black, gray, and kitchen. I have 3 drain pulls to empty them. Anyway is the kitchen tank hard to change. I just finished changeing my gray tank, and I used my kitchen sink with no problem even when the gray tank was off.
Ours is right over the axles. I think it would be a booger bear to change. Ours leaks when filled, but the crack is right near the discharge outlet. I think I saw where someone here used 3M 5200 to patch one. That will be my approach.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:21 AM   #14
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
Keystone must have listened to people because we have a small sticker on the fender skirt that indicates galley drain. Of course ours is starting to peel off, so I will have to make a new label or get a new one from the dealer.

Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #15
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
My new 2011 3580RL Big Sky does have a small label on the wall of the slide. You can not see the "T" handel when the slide is in unless you get on your hands and knees and reach around and under the slide when it is out.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:51 AM   #16
AJH
Established Member

M.O.C. #11247
I have 3 drain valves. 2 are located in the Garage (black and gray), the 3rd is located next to where you connect your drain hose under the belly (galley tank).

NOW FOR THE GRAY TANK.... Just installed a new gray tank. When I installed it, I put styrafoam (SP) between the tank, and the bar that runs acrossed the middle of the tank. Seams to support it better. Wasn't hard to install, My Big problem was finding a new tank. I call, e mailed, many dealers and parts people. NO one could figure out what I was talking about. Finally I called Keystone and they gave me a number of where they get there parts. The girl I talked to was Crystal. WOW she was great. I needed about 10 various parts. Took me may 15 minutes to order them and I received them in 3 days. Can't remember the company, but the number is 866-880-3093. The only thing she need was the yellow hand written number that was written on the tank. MY gray tank was 295 my black was 294.
Have a good one and thanks for the imput. Still new to my RIg, so all help is approciated.
AJ
Old 07-16-2011, 08:55 AM   #17
AJH
Established Member

M.O.C. #11247
New problem. Kitchen (galley) tank leaks. My Rig has 3 waste tanks (gray, black, and galley). Leakes when it gets about 12 gal. in it. Has anyone ever replaced this tank, and if so how hard is it, and what extra parts will I need.
Thanks
AJ
Old 08-01-2011, 03:14 PM   #18
Graham
Established Member

M.O.C. #10287
Hi everyone, We're new to RV'ing and have a 2010 3465SA. We've had it for just over a year and are really enjoying it....except for a "Holding Tank" problem. The one for the sink (#2) cracked a couple months ago along the upper edge under the top lip at a corner. These tanks are suspended on their long top edges by steel bars on either side. We took it to a large RV repair shop in Abbotsford BC and had a new replacement put it. Mucho money! Luckily we had extended coverage. Now, not 3 weeks later, this weekend, the second tank has broken. When it was just fixed all we did was drive it from the RV shop to our lot with the tank empty and have just been using it normally without any travelling (ie no rough roads with a full tank). Like the first time it went it was full and started leaking with the sewage gathering in the 'under belly',
The reason for writing my story is to ask if others have met a similar fate with their tanks?. Is my situation unusual and caused by a defective tank which I was counting on the first time it was replaced. Getting another defective tank is like winning a bad lottery! The tank is quite light and made out of some tough plastic material but as you can guess I'm quite concerned about a third replacement with the same tank. I'm thinking about having an aluminum tank fabricated and installed?
I'm also in contact with Keystone and asked if they have had problems when I replaced it the first time. They said no at that time. I'm making contact with them again. I'm also wondering if it's a problem in how it's suspended and supported.
Any advice and comments would certainly be appreciated.

Cheers,
Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:35 PM   #19
AJH
Established Member

M.O.C. #11247
Thanks for all the info.
Yep there are 3 tanks and 3 valves. Trust me I have seen them all. (very long story). Tanks are made very poorly or in need of supports. There is a lot of weight and strain on them. I ended up taking off my entire belly. Putting it back on was a mess (lineing up hole) I had 2 cross supports broken loose from the main frame, so the kitchen sink had fallen down so gray water was running the wrong way. Had to jury rig it but fingers crossed. But since we all seem to have the same problems there has to be a way for all or us to find a way to support the tanks. Maybe styrofoam and wire straps pulled together with toggle bolts. I did it on on tank and so far so good. But any and all suggestions approciated.
AJ
PS luv that pic of Monach pass Hope to see it one day. Luv the montains but not many camp sites.