Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2010, 05:45 AM   #1
ratfink11
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9683
Protect All or 303?

Any one use these on their Montana`s and whats you opinion? Thanks!

ratfink11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:59 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have used Protect-all for the last two years in place of waxing, about twice a year. Seems to work pretty well, but not the same as a wax. I do use a wash-n-wax when I wash, (Rain-X, I believe). I've heard 303 is just as good.... A lot of folks say don't wax some say wax, some say don't use wax on decals, some do. My decals still look like new, so I must be doing something right.......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:53 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The graphics vendor says do not wax the graphics so I do not wax them. I tend to follow the vendors or manufacturers advise on things because I am not very bright and I just don't know.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:44 AM   #4
wswebster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1249
protect all, love it.
wswebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Could you who like and us a particular product expand a little and tell us what you like and what you don't like about the product and how it works? For example, does it give a shine as good as a wax and lasts twice as long as wax? As an example. Thanks. I'm also very interested in this thread. Thanks for starting it, ratfink11.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:36 PM   #6
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
AM I right in assuming that with the full painted graphics I don't have to worry about effects of wax on the graphics? No decals, no problem? Any one else with full painted, what do you use to protect the finish? I just moved the rig into covered storage after a year of outside storage, and I know that will help. Also I have a few light streaks developed. Any brand of Black Streak Remover better than another?
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:51 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Steve, I like the fact that it goes on wet and you do not let it dry. Wipe it off while it is still wet, Protectall anyway, don't know about 303. Seems to protect the coat but is definitely not a wax. You can tell that when using on the front or rear cap. Once coated it seems to wash easier. I will continue using it. I'm thinking I might try NuFinish on the front and rear cap to see if I can get a real shine back.....If I don't, I will blame Robbie!!!!! lol
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:46 AM   #8
wswebster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1249
My responce is the same as above, easy on and easy off. It does seem to make washing off the crude easier.
wswebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:23 AM   #9
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
I use dawn dish soap and Mothers Carnuba Wax. Only thing I have ever used. I like the results and have had no problems with the graphics on the Montana or the SOB that I owned for 10 yrs. Just one of those things that work for me. Will say a ton of work with the wax when I do it all by hand. I wax at least 2 times per year, sometimes more. I know some will say, DO NOT USE dawn dish soap. And I agree it does take some of the wax off, but it also takes off the bugs the black streaks off. Just works for me.

Another thing I have used on trailers and boats is Snow Bowl Toilet cleaner. Talk about taking black streaks off wow. Brush on rinse off. But you MUST put wax on after you get done. And the formula for using this is 1 pint snow bowl to 5 gal. of water. Works great on crud on the bottom of the boats after a long summer in the water.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:05 AM   #10
paperheart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7541
Just our opinion, but we are hard core paste waxers for all of our maried years (47). On every Rv, boat, car and truck, even the showers/bath in our home. There is no protection like it. It almost adds another dimension to whatever you're putting it on. (We do try to keep it off the decals) It is a very hard job and needs to be done once a year. Do not do it on the hottest day of the year either, it dries too quickly. Trade in values are truly better when you keep the finish. We see many RV's that have never been waxed and the finish is totally dulled by weather. We always used the hard shell Turtle Wax but per some suggestions from the Moc we tried out the carnuba last time. Honestly, I could not see any difference except the carnuba is not green so if you miss a spot it is not so obvious. Any hard shell wax comes in a can with a sponge, not a bottle, as far as I know. That's our system and we're sticking to it!
Phil and Janie
paperheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:20 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Washley1.. We had painted graphics on our previous unit. Had it for 9 years. Waxed them many times. They did fade over time. They were on Aluminum.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:41 AM   #12
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Rich, I expect over time to have some fading, I was just wondering after some here have indicated you should not use certain products on the decals, so I wondered about the painted ones. Seems to me it would be OK to use any of the agents mentioned, but I needed some support before I mess it up!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:18 AM   #13
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

.....If I don't, I will blame Robbie!!!!! lol
Good luck with that!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 01:43 PM   #14
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I use Protect All...cheap (about $8 at WM), easy on easy off, plus it can be used on ANYTHING...glass, chrome, fiberglass, rubber, vinyl, metal, plastic, etc. It does not last as long as regular wax/polish, but it is so easy I don't mind doing the Montana more often.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:48 AM   #15
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
When you get black marks or lines or road grease I use Awsome.You can get it @ dollar store for $1 for 28oz. It will remove almost any thing. I use dawn soap in water to wash when it doesn't come off I spray awsome on it.Does the job. Then I wax. I waxed my 03 for 5 years no problem, 08 front Grafic peeled but I think its the grafic itself not the wax. Only my 2 cents. Jack
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote