Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2008, 04:18 PM   #1
rosyriz
Established Member

M.O.C. #6858
maintaining slide awnings

How do you clean your slide awnings and keep those from not stretching out after rain? What do you use to get underneath and inside to clean them? Thanks for your help. We've been in FLorida for a month and I want to clean them before we leave to go home (back to the cold unfortunetly) next week. Thanks, Rosy

rosyriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:38 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Rosy, I use a soft bristle broom and dish soap and water to clean the toppers. I haven't attempted to clean the slide tops under the toppers yet, but I believe I would use the same technique while standing on a ladder tall enough to do the job. I am open to alternated methods as always....Good Luck....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:55 PM   #3
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
For simple cleaning, some Simple Green applied with a soft brush does the trick. If I have been out for awhile, and you know the birds leave their calling cards. I spray the awnings with Simple Green and then rolled them back up. I let them sit for awhile, unroll them and a light scrubing does the trick. Spraying them and rolling them up kind of acts like a pre soak.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:42 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rosy, the water won't stretch them. As the toppers sink under the weight they just pull more material off the roller like with the patio awning.

As for cleaning, I used to do that occasionally until I realized nobody can see them anyhow. I still will clean them on top when I clean the roof (which is rare). I use Dawn dishwashing liquid. Don't use anything with petroleum distillates on the roof and don't use anything with citrus. We were told by the roof company, Dicor, at a rally awhile back that squirrels and birds will peck at the citrus smell to get at what they think is underneath, putting holes in the roof. I use the same philosophy toward the toppers.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:03 PM   #5
rosyriz
Established Member

M.O.C. #6858
Thanks to all of you that repsonded to my question. The simple green works well on the slideout awnings. I want to tell you that I found the best stuff for cleaning the body of my rig. The product is called Reliable. It cleans it beautifully and gets off those black marks that run down the camper. I bought it at a campground but I think you can get it at Wally World.
Now a new quetion... what do you recommend for sap on roof and awning?. The simple green won't take if off.
I hope to get a pic of me and hubby on my profile soon. Rosyriz
rosyriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 07:51 AM   #6
happyrver

M.O.C. #3530
We have used Reliable for about 5 years and love it. I use it for all inside cleaning as well as the outside. Just dilute it for the job. It is made in Oneida, NY and not available everywhere. I have never seen it at Wal Mart.
happyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:10 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Does Reliable remove wax like a degreaser does? I don't like waxing the rig so tend to stay away from anything that will force me to wax it more often. If it doesn't remove wax, then I'm interested.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:11 PM   #8
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
I use a product called 4-U. It's a citric cleaner you can mix at different strengths, works good on just about everything.

Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:13 PM   #9
happyrver

M.O.C. #3530
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Does Reliable remove wax like a degreaser does? I don't like waxing the rig so tend to stay away from anything that will force me to wax it more often. If it doesn't remove wax, then I'm interested.
It depends on how strong you make it. The black streaks take a stronger solution, but we usually don't rewax. We do the sides once a year and front and back twice.
happyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:50 PM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
To get to the underneath of your slide topper, I use one of those Swiffer mops. The head swivels about any angle you need and the pads are easily replaced. I use a step ladder on each end of the slide and am able to reach all the under areas. As for cleaner ... Awesome or if mildew is present Lysol Mold and Mildew cleaner followed by lotsa water. A coat of Armor All from time to time seems to make the vinyl stay pliable longer. I know sounds like toooooo much work ... pride and cleaning tools are a dangerous combination!
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote