Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2007, 11:13 AM   #1
Gumby56
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6290
Slight Yellow Stains on Ceiling

I was wonder if anyone had any experience with slight yellow stains on their ceiling. Our Mountaineer has them in several places. We discussed it with our dealer and they indicated that it sometimes happens during the installation of the ceiling. They indicated that it is glue residue.

It does not appear to be at all water related and we had the dealer check that out. It does really look like residue.

Has anyone seen this? Is there an easy way to clean it off?

We appreciate the help!!!

Gumby56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:22 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Try hydrogen peroxide. Use a cotton ball and dab it on a spot that is inconspicuous. We used to do that in our mobile home that had leaks caused by sweat in the upper air space. It worked well.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:52 AM   #3
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Orv, your right on the money. Hydrogen peroxide is the only stain remover that will not attack finish. It has no bleach or anything else to attack finishes.
I used it on my end cap because of a blue stain left by a not so friendly bird that had been eating blackberries. Took it right out.
Great stuff, also will clean out cuts, scrapes and abrasions without harming you.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:57 AM   #4
Craig A
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6228
I've got a friend whose Everest had the same problem, he figured it was the bonding agent used to adhere the ceiling to the frame. It was covered under his warranty and now he's happy with the results.
Craig A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:29 PM   #5
marisolwithsol
Established Member

M.O.C. #6087
We have a mountaineer also, I had found them seemingly all over the place on the ceiling. They told me that it was left over spackling (sp?) where they filled in the little nail holes. The problem was that they (Keystone) didn't change the color of putty being used on the walls, to white for the ceilings. When I rubbed my finger across it, it came off fairly easy. The dealer tried to blow me off, but I asked them to please remove it anyway. No biggie. Try the hydrogen peroxide suggestion, I used water on a cotton ball to wipe one off, worked ok, but I wasn't going to do all of them when the unit was already in for it's minor repairs.

Marisol
marisolwithsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 06:44 PM   #6
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
We have a 2007 3650RK. I spotted the yellow stains on the ceiling near the shower before we even signed the papers. Salesman said that would be covered under warranty. After I brought it in for service, they cleaned it up real nice.

Thanks for the tip on hydrogen peroxide.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:56 AM   #7
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Yep - adhesive residue and they will get worse over time. Our manufactured home has them in one of the bathrooms Hand and finger prints). The warranty repair folks were going to replace every panel, but I was afraid they'd do more damage than good. I wish I'd known then what I know now - after a few years the "invisible" ones show up and they all turn darker over time. I guess I'll try the Hydrogen Peroxide - I tried Goof Off before but it's hard on the factory finish.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote