Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2021, 07:54 AM   #21
RickyRobert
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27598
As a corollary to this discussion, if you have purchased an outboard battery charger please make sure that it has either a setting for AGM batteries or has the inbuilt microprocessor that determines the battery type being charged and adjusts its charging algorithm accordingly. And, with regards to Montana, my Solar Flex system requires me to set the charger for wet/AGM/Lithium - please double check your setting. The Progressive PD4575 converter installed by Keystone has a lead acid / lithium switch only - and according to their spec sheet the lead acid setting pushes the limits, but does not exceed, the charging recommendations for AGM - wish that they had used one with an enhanced microprocessor which would extend my AGM battery life. And let's be aware, we are talking about a battery/batteries that have a 100/200/250 Ah capacity - not a trivial amount of inherent hazard. Electronics are known to fail, and I am confident that chargers are not immune. Should it fail, we can only hope that it ceases operation, and not fails in such a way that it switches to de-sulfation mode permanently. Venting is not only code, it can be a life saver! Please don't be the one to prove us right.

2020 3931FB (every option but exterior kitchen)
2019 RAM 3500 DRW 4X4, HO Turbo Diesel, 4.10 Axle
B&W Companion 25K OEM Puck System
RickyRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 08:06 AM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We purchased 2 new batteries for our 08 3402 a couple of days ago. We did measure the batteries to insure the new batteries would fit we even took pictures to insure we got the proper batteries. Lessons learned.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 08:45 PM   #23
Ed C
Established Member

M.O.C. #22849
Thank you all for the feedback. I actually wound up taking my new batteries back to Autozone, and purchased the right sized batteries for the Montana OEM battery box. Turns out the ones I initially purchased were larger. I wish the Autozone staff would have told me that! Anyway, the exchanged ones fit perfectly in the box. No new holes, no new box, and the vent hose is still attached.
Thanks again, and everything is working fine now in Guerrero Negro, Baha California Sur!
Old 03-17-2021, 08:49 PM   #24
Wicked1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21100
generally dealers install led acid type 27 800cca deep cycle Marine batteries that go anywhere from 35ah to 100ah, from what I can tell and what ai see in the new coaches, if you look at the battery type number that tells you the size but for an RV whether single or double generally type 27 is installed.
Old 03-17-2021, 09:50 PM   #25
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Speaking of batteries, the new Duracell AGM Group size 34 deep cycle batteries I just put in my trailer did not work out. Brand new, fully charged and they would not lift my rig off of my truck without stopping. Even hooking up the truck to the trailer, the front levelers stopped no less than 3 times before finishing. I took them back to Sam's Club and exchanged them for some large group 31 AGM's. I will find out tomorrow if they will work out. They should fit my battery boxes, which on the inside has room for 13+" length and over 7" in width.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote