Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2021, 04:19 PM   #1
jfbritt
Established Member

M.O.C. #23856
Lead-Acid to AGM Replacement

I have a 2011 Montana Mountaineer. The installed power converter is a Progressive Dynamic Inteli-Power 60 Amp PD9260-CV. I want to replace my lead-acid batteries with AGM batteries. Will my existing converter support charging of the AGM batteries or do I need to replace the converter? Any input would help.

jfbritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:50 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
AGM vs wet cell batteries are usually compatible with the standard converter. A couple of websites mention AGM in the description of that model.

==================================
www.etrailer.com › ... › 60 Amps › 12V › Smart Charg
Progressive Dynamics Inteli-Power RV Converter and Smart Battery Charger - 12V - 60 ... Progressive Dynamics 60 Amps RV Converters - PD9260C ... This charger is compatible with flooded lead acid, AGM, and gel batteries. ... The Progressive Dynamics # PD9260C and PD9260CV are the same part, but the -CV is an ...
===================================

But once you drill down, finding a definitive statement in support of AGM is hard to find. Even the Progressive site is silent on this. It may be because there is no difference between wet cell and AGM when chharging. That seems to be most members opinion but reading it in black and white for us less electrical knowledgeable folks would be comforting.

A call to the Progressive folks may be your best option.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 07:51 AM   #3
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I contacted Progressive a couple of years ago when switching from cheap Wet Cells to AGM and received the word that there was not problem.
BUT since we have a Res Fridge with a Magnum Inverter/Charger there is a setting in it's program for several different brands of AGMs, so I set it to match ours.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:28 AM   #4
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
...BUT since we have a Res Fridge with a Magnum Inverter/Charger there is a setting in it's program for several different brands of AGMs...
Agree, not all converter/chargers or inverter/chargers are initially programmed for AGMs.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote